For customized car kits and projects.
Revell "Donk" Custom Cadillac
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 04:15 PM UTC
Nice work on the brake detail using those spare parts very creative.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 05:36 PM UTC
Great work on the suspension and brakes, looks like a sweet ride. Any idea on a color yet.

Joe
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 05:12 AM UTC
Thanks fellas.
I wanted the more dynamic look of steered wheels for display.
The brake calipers detailing was one of those ideas that occurred to me at the last minute after rummaging through a bunch of other collected parts and junk.

The color and end project will not be a metal flake candy coat. It's going to have a surprise look ... sort of ...

KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 02:32 PM UTC
Front suspension built complete. Painting in progress.

I found a correct gage thickness spring from an old tape player part of an old stereo that I scrapped out.

KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 02:37 PM UTC
The disc brakes and calipers painted

rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 03:42 PM UTC
Nice work on the front suspension should look good with the added brake details are you going to add any chrome to the suspension or just paint.
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 04:21 AM UTC
Paint only on the suspension. I think a couple spots of semigloss black to set it off from the flat black.

I've since painted two more coats of the yellow on the springs. Yellow is a weak pigment. For the rear suspension assembly, I'll spray it yellow then paint in the black. Hope it works that way.

KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 03:10 PM UTC
The arrows show a couple of sink holes in the front wheel wells that need to be sanded. The other two under the pan will not be visible after assembly.

close up of one

after sanding, no putty needed

KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 03:04 PM UTC
Working on the rear suspension spring and struts.

The chrome part as issued from the box.

I tried a different approach than the front by first painting the part yellow then the black in between the spring detail with a heavy wash.

These are super close up shots that show a few sloppy spots that I tried to clean up. It may not be noticed after the final build. The retainers will be gloss black. Maybe I need to spray it all down again black then paint in the yellow.
What do you think?

Steve1479
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 164 posts
Auto Modeler: 32 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 04:55 PM UTC
Looks good so far buddy. I'm actually working on the Donk Buick Regal at the moment =P
Personally what I like to do for coil springs is pain black in behind them and then just highlight the physical spring part. I haven't had time to take pics of my "Box" in the garage yet but if you need any info on the suspension or battery setup or anything like that. PM me.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 02:45 AM UTC
KSO, if it were my build I personally wouldn't touch the springs again. They look great to me. The only thing I might do would be to carve out the tiny bit of plastic around the shock....where the top and bottom of the shock tubes meet, and add some wash there. Just to make it look like the hollow space that should be there. Again, you're doing way more than I ever do anyways so it looks great to me.

Hermon
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 03:50 AM UTC
Steve1479, yes, this is how I did the front ones. I thought it would be easier this way for some reason. This morning I kept holding it in my hands and looking at it close, then extending my arm to look at it far, then close again, then far..... I think I'll just work with this one.

VonCuda, I see that spot you're talking about. Yeah I can do that. Thanks for seeing that. I was totally occupied with cleaning the mold seam from both sides of the spring, and painting them that I wasn't even looking at the other stuff.

Steve1479
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 11:02 AM UTC
I was going to add that, since you've already go the shading in the back done, I'd just highlight the coils with yellow again to get rid of any excess shading that got onto them
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 - 01:21 PM UTC
Thanks Steve. I sprayed some of that yellow into a cup and brushed it onto the weird spots. It looks good now. At least this is what I'm telling myself. .. ... .

KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 - 01:29 PM UTC
While the suspension is drying at different points, I started on the interior.
The interior parts are well molded and fit very well. Actually during dry fit stages, they assemble together without glue. It's that clean of a fit. The only seam line that was visible is the one along the top of the front seat. I used the technique of liquid styrene cement generously applied then squeezing together to force out a nice plastic squish. After this cured, I sanded without any putty then primer.
I researched on the web for Cadillac front seats and this seam was never there, so I decided to sand it off.

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 01:48 AM UTC
Same technique I use to joing airplane wings. I use tenex and a tiny glue applicator and pinch them together for about 5 seconds. Works everytime and saves from having to fill and sand, fill and sand, fill and sand.
BTW, nice color choice and I love the pleated seat edging. Reminds me of something my Grandpa would ride around in if he were an elderly Hispanic man.........and rich........and new how to drive....and was still alive.

Hermon
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 01:03 PM UTC

The color is a base coat for what is going (suppose) to be leather seats. I have an idea of how to do it but it will either work and look like leather seats or a bad attempt at a wood finish...
I thought I saw a leather painting technique here on kitmaker somewhere and tried searching but no luck. It was a figure with a leather jacket or leather seats or something. Anyone have suggestions for leather seats?

KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:20 PM UTC
I want the seats to look like brown leather with a worn but re-conditioned look.
This is my first attempt at leather in any scale.

Started with a Rustoleum aerosol can for the base coat brown

Then with Model Master Leather, I sketched random lines with a fine brush tip with thinned color on the tip

Then followed by the same treatment with Model Master Military Brown in the same sketchy line patterns.

Finally a very subtle dry brush over all with Pactra Khaki

The whole leather interior portion will get this look for this car.

Steve1479
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 01:51 PM UTC
Very nice work on the leather, it actually looks like the leather in my grandpa's old Eldorado.
I'll have to try your technique on any cars that I build with leather interiors in the future. I can't wait to see the finished product bud.
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 07:45 AM UTC
Thanks Steve, I'm a slow builder...

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 09:43 AM UTC
KSO, damn......nice job on the leather.....really nice. I can almost smell the cigar smoke way over here. I wish I could learn the patience to take my time on my builds.

Hermon
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 - 11:58 AM UTC
Thanks dude. Almost finished with the chassis, suspension and pan.

Modelbouwerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 794 posts
Auto Modeler: 179 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 04:48 AM UTC
Hé KSO, nice job on the seats.
It really looks good.
And thanks for the How-to.

Erikssson.
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 88 posts
Auto Modeler: 58 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 11:23 AM UTC
Donks, Bonk Flonks, what is going on here? I musta been out of the "loop" too long, after a 5 year break in Car Modelling. What the heck is a Donk?
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 01:43 PM UTC
This is a brief explaination here.
http://www.cardomain.com/features/donks
I think they came from the south east part of the United States. Some say Florida.
They are not very popular in my neighborhood. We have more low riders as far as custom cars.
Also, a brief insightful explanation by Minidreams can be found here:
http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=352013&view=findpost&p=8364408
There are a few in the post, if you don't mind.

Erikssson - Sure no prob. I like to document and explain every step of problems and solutions in a build that I can.
Thanks for the kind words.