For customized car kits and projects.
Revell "Donk" Custom Cadillac
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 08:56 AM UTC
I recently purchased this kit and just wanted to build an OOB model.
Upon further research on this subject, I learned that this kit may not represent a DONK after all. In fact it may be a BOX or simply a lifted Custom Cadillac instead. Different sources define DONKs, BOXes, and BUBBLEs depending on various criteria.
I'm not a big fan of these particular style custom cars and know very little about them in 1/1 scale. But at an inexpensive price, I couldn't pass it up. And being a Revell, I expect a good fit and clean details.

Box art

Chassis and suspension assembly begins.

Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 12:33 PM UTC

I've seen these on the shelf at the LHS. I've never been interested in the whole DONK thing, but I was curious if the kit could be used to build a somewhat stock Cadillac.

Let us know how it goes.

-YL
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 12:44 PM UTC
Unfortunately, one of the cons (pros and cons) of this kit is that there is no stock option available, custom only.

TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Auto Modeler: 359 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:31 AM UTC
Ko,

Love to see the "lift kit" suspension on this....may go well with my future 4x4 Ranchero custom....different rims of course!

Mike
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 01:52 PM UTC
Sure, I'll get sprue and parts shots this week and post them by the weekend.
I'm not satisfied with the front axle/suspension so-far. The fit is good, but the detail isn't real enough looking.
The rear looks great.
I've been on web image searches for hours and haven't found what a real one (1/1) looks like in a detailed enough photo to build on.

side note: I think it's weird that the word sprue is underlined, as I'm writing it, as an alert that it is spelled incorrectly, here on this site

KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 12:52 PM UTC
Pictured below are of the front axle suspension part.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can make the front wheel steer left and right?

Looking at the front, dead on.

three quarter view from the front.

thanks for looking

KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 01:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

by: TacFireGuru
Ko,

Love to see the "lift kit" suspension on this....may go well with my future 4x4 Ranchero custom....different rims of course!

Mike

sorry, I haven't had day off since last weekend and I work tomorrow as well. I'll try to get those parts and sprue shots by the weekend after xmess.

KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 02:05 PM UTC
The box is packed with sprue. No stock options are included, custom parts only.

Chrome, nice door handles and hydro pumps.

Black and gray sprues with a close up of the battery pack for the pumps.

White sprues, notice the interior and woofers for the trunk!

Decals and other media.

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 12:49 AM UTC
Real cars like this kit you have are common here in my town...it's sorta sad to see a old bubble top chevy cruising around with 30something inch rims and sitting a mile high...not what I would do with such a car..........but that's me. What I think would be nice, and alot of work, would be to take a car like this or any in the series, and drop it down to the ground and fit those wheels in the fenders like the concept cars are drawn. I look forward to seing it done...I can feel the bass already{maybe that was one of those cars driving past just now too}.
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 04:48 AM UTC

We have a lot of lowered cars here in my neighborhood. I've only seen one raised car here, but I think he's from the east anyway.
I've seen these model cars with the wheels inside as you described. I plan to build this kit DOOB (Detailed Out Of Box).
It will be different than the box art.

KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 01:23 PM UTC
Well I finished my project for the Minimize II Operation in the figures forum so back to the Caddy.
I figured out how to make the front wheels steer left and right and now I'm fabricating the parts for this assembly.
Some of the front suspension is from another Revell Chevy car kit.

KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 11:23 AM UTC
Today, I completed the fabrication of the parts to combine with the stock kit parts to enable the front wheels to steer left and right.

Some putty and sanding will be done before final sub-assembly is complete.
I hope this works, so I can finally get on with the building the rest of the car. So far, dry fitting is good.

KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 12:58 PM UTC
I was going to call it a day and do that other silly stuff like pay attention to my family and open the utility bill envelopes and take out the trash... but dry fitted and glued some of the assembly together instead. The springs are from a mechanical ink pen and may not be used in the final build. I still have to attach the arm bar or make a new one.

from this stock part

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 02:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The springs are from a mechanical ink pen and may not be used in the final build.

This is why I like this site. I would never have thought to do something like that. Cool.
Oh, BTW... but I checked out your thread where you made the shovel. Great stuff.

Hermon
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 06:38 PM UTC

Nice work on the suspension. And thanks for posting those sprue shots. It looks like a pretty nice kit, even though I have little interest in the OOB subject matter.

-YL
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:52 PM UTC
Cool, thanks for the comments guys.

VonCuda, I'm almost finished with that shovel. Glad you like it.
The springs do not look like the correct gauge wire thickness to me, so I might change them out.

Yoni_Lev, I'm not a big fan of the "Donk" look in 1/1 cars either, and know nothing about them. The kit was cheap, so I grabbed it. This will be almost OOB, more DOOB (Detailed Out Of Box). The final paint and theme of this subject will not be the box art...

LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 63 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 06:54 AM UTC
Thats going to look nice when completed

Hunter
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 01:54 PM UTC
Thanks for the confidence, LP. I think it will be too.
I haven't touched it in a week due to catching a bad cold and just trying to sleep after coming home from work.

rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 - 05:41 AM UTC
Great work on your cady so far that suspension looks very realistic, to bad the kit didn't come with stock parts to build a factory stock car.
Steve1479
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 164 posts
Auto Modeler: 32 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 11:43 AM UTC
If you need any information or help in building this kit, let me know, I sadly own a donked 1986 Chevrolet Caprice on 26's lol.
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 12:21 PM UTC
rv1963, Very flattering, esp. coming from you. Yeah, no stock parts available in the kit. However, the parts that is provided are very detailed and great fit so-far. I'm finally well eough to proceed with build. More progress will be seen by next weekend. thank you for your reply comment.

Steve1479, Thanks for the offer. I could use images of the chassis and suspension for rack and pinion steering details, as well as hydro lines and cylinder placements. Also, I didn't mean that DONKs are anything wrong. I just am not into them in 1/1 myself and know nothing about them. Anyone with a hobby is cool with me, for sure. I appreciate the reply offer.
Did anyone tell you that you look like Mitch Hedberg (RIP) ?!?

KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 04:34 PM UTC
Talking to someone at work today, reveals that the lifted cars do not have any hydrolics. They don't have the option to slam down and tuck the wheels. The cars are just lifted.
So, some of the parts above on the sprues are extras, like the battery pack and hydro pumps.
Also, I don't need to plumb any of it, because it's not on a real car anyway.

Steve1479
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 164 posts
Auto Modeler: 32 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 09:25 AM UTC
Lol! Far too many times my friend, far too many times. Yea I can go take some pictures for you when I've got a second. The car is being stored for the winter so lighting wont be the best.
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 10:17 AM UTC
Almost finished with the front lift kit suspension with steering control arms.

Today I moved onto the four disc brakes. The kit supplied parts have no detail of calipers at all.

I found a couple inner wheel parts from another Chevy kit. The diameter of these parts are slightly larger than the Cadillac discs so it should work perfectly.
Cadillac disc on the left and the Chevy inner wheel part on the right

Placing the part into my miter box and using a razor saw, I first cut the part in half. Then each half into quarters.

By doing this to two parts, I should have eight quarters to make disc brake calipers for four wheels.

A simple dry fit with some tac-clay.

I think this will work. Just need to clean up the new fabricated parts and add details.

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 01:25 PM UTC
Yet again, "I never would have thought of that" comes to my mind. That is a great idea that I'll have to add to my tiny brain file.

Hermon
 _GOTOTOP