Cars: Muscle Cars
60's & 70's Classics
AMT new tool Chrysler 300C (commissioned)
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 11:30 PM UTC
Joseph, thanks. No worries, you are welcome to comment and post as much as you please, for how long is in within the community guidelines.

I wonder if the method of forming windows from PET bottles works with a professional heat gun? It worth a try. Not in this build, though, but for sure I'm going to be in a bigger need at some point

As for the intake housings, they are exactly what I said they are. It is a common misconception about the Chrysler 300 series. If you watch closely the same picture you have posted, you'll notice there is a fine mesh over them, painted in primer red (hence the confusion). The turn signals are below, housed on the bumper, in clear. Indeed, the housings wrap around the edge.

Gabriel
Headhunter506
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Auto Modeler: 13 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 05:57 AM UTC
You're correct, my mistake. I was looking at other images from different '57-'61 Mopars when I wrote that. The point about chrome trim wrapping around the fender sides is still valid.

Sure, you can use a professional heat gun. I do. If it's a 750/1500 watt gun, just make sure you use the lower setting, keep the nozzle at least 6-8 inches away from the buck and move the heat around to prevent damage to the buck. The gentleman who posted the tip used two-part epoxy to mount the glass in order to make the buck. The problem with epoxy resins is that they will soften when exposed to heat. A better alternative would be to use plaster of paris. It won't break down and it provides a solid base for the buck.

I also have a Mattel Vac-u-Form machine I picked up cheap on ebay. I'm going to modify it so I can attach a vacuum hose in order to increase the suction around bucks to create crisper copies.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 06:28 AM UTC
the turn signal lamps are the clear lenses that wrap around the bumper.

the issue is just what is directly under the high beams. I did several Google searches and only came up with close up pictures that clearly show that they are colored mesh but no explanation, then I hit pay dirt, and Gabriel was right. Here's the explanation that I found:

" The relatively small fourteen-inch wheels made brake improvements important; a rectangular duct underneath the headlights channeled cooling air to the front brakes".

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 04:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sure, you can use a professional heat gun. I do. If it's a 750/1500 watt gun, just make sure you use the lower setting, keep the nozzle at least 6-8 inches away from the buck and move the heat around to prevent damage to the buck. The gentleman who posted the tip used two-part epoxy to mount the glass in order to make the buck. The problem with epoxy resins is that they will soften when exposed to heat. A better alternative would be to use plaster of paris. It won't break down and it provides a solid base for the buck.

Thanks, Joseph. Crystal clear method description. I shall try it, as I have a couple AMTs sidelined just because that issue alone. Not sure if I can find Plaster of Paris here, but I have artist quality modeling clay that may work.

Gabriel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 04:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the turn signal lamps are the clear lenses that wrap around the bumper.

the issue is just what is directly under the high beams. I did several Google searches and only came up with close up pictures that clearly show that they are colored mesh but no explanation, then I hit pay dirt, and Gabriel was right. Here's the explanation that I found:

" The relatively small fourteen-inch wheels made brake improvements important; a rectangular duct underneath the headlights channeled cooling air to the front brakes".

Joel

Thank you for endorsement, Joel. It is odd indeed - that is the reason why I ever recalled that tricky detail. Imagine that two ton monster has to be stopped with shoe brakes!

Gabriel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 05:05 PM UTC
LAST UPDATE - but perhaps not the last pictures / videos

So it's done!

My conclusions to the build:
Much improved quality of AMT kits, but still quirky here and there, most notable the glazed surfaces and couple of mistakes in the instructions. Very nice detail, but seems a somewhat half-hearten effort from AMT. However, if would be to rate this kit, I would say 7/10.
On my side, I have made a few mistakes, most of them I corrected, some other ones I did not. The seam line on the brake booster it's still there, the black surfaces from the dash and from the storage shelf could have been better.
On the positives, I've got more comfortable with intricate masking and 2K use.
I am glad with the result, but aware that I could have done better.
And here she is:

Oh! And a "glamour" one for Damian:

Cheers!
Gabriel
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 05:32 PM UTC
Beautiful build Gabriel - wow - now all it needs is a well-lit showroom!

Thanks for sharing so much along the way

Cheers
Nick
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 06:47 PM UTC
You've certainly made a super job, on the beautiful Chrysler 300C. No doubt you'll have a very happy customer.
It's been a real pleasure following the build, my friend.
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Auto Modeler: 495 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 11:01 PM UTC
Hi Gabriel!

Well, this certainly turned into a "blink and you'll miss it" build for me. Certainly I've not been on the forum for a few days and have missed so much and have lots of catching up to do!

Let me say, this is just a superb build! 10/10 from me!

I sure hope your patron is happy with the end result and commissions more builds!

Either way, thank you for sharing and I look forward to seeing your next project!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 02:22 AM UTC
Gabriel,
I'm really quite impressed to say the least. You did an excellent job on your commission build. The owner should be more then satisfied. I would recommend to him one of the many available clear plastic display cases so that the Big 300 doesn't become a dust collector.

So what's up next on your build list that will next cross your workbench? (I should talk as I haven't touched a model since I finished the Porsche 956).

Joel
ChurchSTSV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Auto Modeler: 64 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 03:00 AM UTC
Gorgeous!!

Dem wheels tho. Definitely need to figure out how to do something like that to the Vette.

Awesome work man.

Question: If this is commissioned, how much did it cost? You don't have to answer if its a trade secret. Just curious.
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 03:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful build Gabriel - wow - now all it needs is a well-lit showroom!

Thanks for sharing so much along the way

Cheers
Nick

Thank you, Nick!
I have a photo tent that perhaps is the best "modelling tool" I ever bought, in par with my H&S Infinity. I use it as "drying station" as well, because is pretty much dust proof.

Gabriel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You've certainly made a super job, on the beautiful Chrysler 300C. No doubt you'll have a very happy customer.
It's been a real pleasure following the build, my friend.

Thank you, Jesper. Your opinion weight very much for me - I am always follow your build threads as well, because you are such resourceful modeler.
The customer said, on seeing the pictures, quite literally: "Biiig Trouble! "

Gabriel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gabriel!

Well, this certainly turned into a "blink and you'll miss it" build for me. Certainly I've not been on the forum for a few days and have missed so much and have lots of catching up to do!

Let me say, this is just a superb build! 10/10 from me!

I sure hope your patron is happy with the end result and commissions more builds!

Either way, thank you for sharing and I look forward to seeing your next project!

Thank you, Russel!
I needed to move fast - another build is moving already thru USPS and I have to squeeze somehow my Porsche remnants in between.
Yes, the customer seems happy.
The next project it's been a surprise even for me!

Gabriel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gabriel,
I'm really quite impressed to say the least. You did an excellent job on your commission build. The owner should be more then satisfied. I would recommend to him one of the many available clear plastic display cases so that the Big 300 doesn't become a dust collector.

So what's up next on your build list that will next cross your workbench? (I should talk as I haven't touched a model since I finished the Porsche 956).

Joel

Thank you, Joel, for your kind words and constant friendly support during this (and not only this) build.
For the customer, the Chrysler has sentimental value, as being the first car owned by his father. He better looks after it!
My next project was a surprise to myself and I'm not going to disclose it until it arrives (probably in the next 12 days or so). But I can tell you that it is something I swore I'll never do again LOL

Gabriel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 04:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gorgeous!!

Dem wheels tho. Definitely need to figure out how to do something like that to the Vette.

Awesome work man.

Question: If this is commissioned, how much did it cost? You don't have to answer if its a trade secret. Just curious.

Thanks, Charlie!
Yes, the red inserts are quite "a punch in the eye", and I think I've seen something similar on Corvettes as well. You should check with our Corvette resident expert - D.

No secrets here, Charlie! Shipping and materials discounted, my net gain will be some 60 Canadian Dollars.

Gabriel
ChurchSTSV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Auto Modeler: 64 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 04:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gorgeous!!

Awesome work man.

Thanks, Charlie!
Yes, the red inserts are quite "a punch in the eye", and I think I've seen something similar on Corvettes as well. You should check with our Corvette resident expert - D.

No secrets here, Charlie! Shipping and materials discounted, my net gain will be some 60 Canadian Dollars.

Gabriel

I wonder how much that is in real money? LOL

Awesome work, man. You are an inspiration.
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 05:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder how much that is in real money? LOL

Awesome work, man. You are an inspiration.

I feel humbled.

60CAD = 45USD = 63AUD. A "fortune"!

Gabriel
Headhunter506
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Auto Modeler: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 12:02 PM UTC
The 300C looks fantastic, Gabriel. Nuthin' like a great looking up Mopar!
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 03:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The 300C looks fantastic, Gabriel. Nuthin' like a great looking up Mopar!

Thanks, Joseph! She has a majestic look to it, indeed!
Gabriel
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Auto Modeler: 192 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 09:01 PM UTC
Gabriel, wow what a great build and the finish looks superb. Hats off to you on another great build.

This is one that I've been watching but never felt the need to comment as I had nothing more to add that hadn't already been said but now it's finished I had to comment.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 09:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Awesome build Gabriel, this has been a great thread from start to finish. Plenty of detail on every step, explanation of the successes and failures along the way so that we can all learn from your experience, and a brilliant outcome!

That glamour shot is a winner, I love it! It's amazing how the colour varies in different lighting.

I can't wait to see the next build you have lined up mate, really looking forward to it.

Cheers, D
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 11:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gabriel, wow what a great build and the finish looks superb. Hats off to you on another great build.

This is one that I've been watching but never felt the need to comment as I had nothing more to add that hadn't already been said but now it's finished I had to comment.

Thank you so much, Littorio!
No worries, I've noticed you are a "quiet one", but present and observant.

Gabriel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 11:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Awesome build Gabriel, this has been a great thread from start to finish. Plenty of detail on every step, explanation of the successes and failures along the way so that we can all learn from your experience, and a brilliant outcome!

That glamour shot is a winner, I love it! It's amazing how the colour varies in different lighting.

I can't wait to see the next build you have lined up mate, really looking forward to it.

Cheers, D

Thanks, D. Well, I played my little drama in front of a great audience I felt sometimes like in some sort of "Sint Maarten Got Talent", where the performer is eclipsed by the judges

And the color - yes - it has very odd behavior. I'm afraid I cannot repeat it and is going to remain a unique

Gabriel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 11:48 PM UTC
Photoshop Session

Remember the original advertising picture that intrigued Damian?

Well, he noticed that the picture was tweaked by painting over an original white car with turquoise...

And because the Chrysler photographers didn't have a turquoise car, I lend them mine for them to re-do the shooting:

The credit for the photoshoped pictures goes to Alexandra Pașca, Romanian photographer and painter and, most importantly, beginner modeler

Gabriel