_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
2-4 week Rat Rod build
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 02:25 AM UTC
Ok everybody because of all the great responses on my 1 week auto build and my rat rod build is anyone interested in a 2-4 week rat rod build the cars ( vans and pickups included) i would like to use are from the 1920's to the 1050's we won't start till everybody has finished and posted pics of there one week build. Let me know what you think.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 09:10 AM UTC

I think you're crazy.

Seriously, I love the idea and I'm all for another group build. I'm not sure about the timing, though. I would be better off doing something like this if we could start in mid-January, since the rest of December is very busy for me, and I'm also working on the Emergency Vehicle group build as well.

Some random thoughts: What are you thinking in regards to "rules"? Unbuilt kits only? No aftermarket? Anything goes? And insofar as the term "rat rod" is concerned, must it have some rust? No shiny paint? Strictly rods (pre-'49) or including classic customs ('49-'61)?

Bottom line: count me in if we can get this off the ground in early '09.

-YL

rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 09:38 AM UTC
Thanks for your response Yoni, i think you are correct about the timing we should start in the new year, some rules are below.
1. Any car, light Truck or Van 1920 to 1959 ?
2. Rust, paint or primer your choice
3. Any aftermarket parts, Resin , PE your choice
4. New or started kits your choice
5. 3 weeks to build

If we can get more feedback from other builders that would also help to see if we have more interest in this one let me know what you think guys, the rules are already pretty loose so it should give lots of options. I personally might only change the first rule? Mine will have rust!

Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:43 AM UTC

Rob, buddy ole pal, o friend o' mine. Rat rods are so not my forte. I have a tough time retaining the interest level.

However-

Matt and I are trying to start a T2K-Rail campaign. I join your build if you help get ours going. I'll go and get a kit (I've nothing even close to the parameters in the stash) and whip out a fast and ugly if you can support and join ours.

Heh? Heh? Whaddya say?

Cuhail
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:35 PM UTC
Murph i new i would be hearing from you i am surprised you are not into the rat rods but that's cool, i have one dumb question what is a T2K- rail i might join if i new what it was you never know.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 01:04 PM UTC

T= Twilight
2K= Two-Thousand
Rail= Railroad themed campaign.

So, T2K-Rail.
Twilight 2000 is, I think, a Role-playing game set in the future and is armor/sci-fi themed. We here at KitMaker have been doing T2K builds for quite a while.

Twilight 2000 threads

Check it out.
Cuhail
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 04:31 PM UTC
Ok Murph i checked it out i like scifi stuff more like Star Trek, Aliens and Terminator not really into any railroad stuff i have checked my stash all i have are car and a few truck models and large scale figures i think i will pass on this one.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 04:05 AM UTC
GREAT idea. I'm deifinitely in. The rules you've lined up Robert sounds fine to me.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 05:50 AM UTC
Thanks for your response Jesper that makes 3 i hope we will get a few more but i build either way i will give a start date at the end of December to give others a chance to join, i am leaning towards a 55 Chevy Rat because it's in my stash, what are you guys lookin to build, just curious.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 08:09 AM UTC
I'm not really sure yet. I have parts of a 1930's woodie in my spareparts. Just need a frame for it. If I can find a suitable frame, that will probably be the one.

I have an old Revell Austin hot rod, my brother started building some 25 years ago (allready then it was an old kit) this one might be an option.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 08:22 AM UTC
If you can find a frame for the woody that would work well so would the Austin, i would like to build something a little older than 55 Chevy but i really can't afford to buy any thing wright now i will have to check my stash a little closer.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 10:49 AM UTC

C'mon guys...you know I hate making these kinds of choices!

There are a lot of prospective candidates in the stash:

1) Revell's new(ish) 1932 Ford Sedan
2) Revell's 1940 Ford Street Rod (convertible)
3) a mid-80's issue of AMT's 1940 Ford Coupe
4) Revell's 1929 Ford "3-n-1 Rat Rod" pickup
5) Monogram's ancient but still workable 1940 Ford pickup
6) AMT's 1950 Chevy pickup

Also, in the "junk kit" section, I have:

1) Revell's 1937 Ford pickup, minus the suspension pieces, and with a warped frame.
2) another Revell '40 Ford convertible kit, minus the frame and some engine bits.
3) Revell's '32 Ford roadster kit, missing various pieces.

My first reaction is to go with Revell's '32 Sedan kit, since it would be a straightforward build. Plus, I really like the bodystyle, and it comes with a nice flathead. Chop the top, throw on some vintage suspension pieces and you've got yourself a rat rod.

The '40 Ford and '50 Chevy pickup would also be relatively easy builds, although the Ford would take some engine and suspension work, since the kit parts are poorly done. Still, those would be two pretty simple projects, as would the AMT '40 Ford coupe, but I'm not sure I'm ready to dig into that one just yet (been saving it for a loooong time).

Then again, I like the idea of tossing the cab from the Revell '37 Ford pickup onto a spare frame and scratchbuilding a bed. Maybe channel the cab over the frame a bit, add a blown Nailhead Buick mill, throw on some Kelsey-Hayes wires and some whitewalls...definitely a more complicated project, and one I'm not sure I can realistically complete in the given timeframe. But it would make a very cool rat rod, that's for sure.

Decisions, decisions.

-YL

PS - Jesper, I would vote for the Austin, since it would be a great odd-rod. And Robert, there's nothing wrong with a ratted-out '55 Chevy. I say go for it.

rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:31 PM UTC
Yoni is messing with us, we should all have your problem of which of the 100 models to choose from, i must recheck my stash and see what else is in there plus i need time find a good engine maybe that old Ford Indy car engine or i may build it from scratch?
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 01:02 PM UTC

I know, I know...I'm lucky. And I've been building (and collecting) for the better part of 30 years, so I've got a lot of stuff. It's mainly boxes of parts and pieces, decals, tires and chrome stuff, all the things I've managed to save over the years. But yes, there are some kits in there.

I actually hit the jackpot about 3 years ago, when I walked into the LHS just as someone was dropping off a truckload of kits to be sold on consignment. I bought a bunch of them that day, between $5 and $8 each. A lot of them are still sitting in the stash, untouched. I think I'm lucky. My wife, on the other hand, thinks I'm a pack rat.

If you've got that Indy car engine, I'd say use it. That would be pretty cool.

-YL
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 04:11 PM UTC
Sounds like your stash is huge well you can't be to rich to thin or have to many model kits . I think a Ford Indy car engine in a 55 Chev should be cool it's an old one with i believe 4 overhaed cams and the plugs in the center of the heads but it would need more power like say a crank driven supercharger i will have to think about this a little more. This will be another fun build.
WindSword70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 05:46 AM UTC
I am up for this one--just let me know when the start date is. I may do a Model A rat rod using left over parts or a model of my real 55 Chevy that I built in 1968. I bought it for $75 and it was in parts. It was a rat rod before anybody called a car like that a rat rod-it was mostly called junk. Two colors of primer, Rustoleum green floorboards, $25 floor shifter, Sears Maypop tires and it even ran after I put the engine together. Rat rods are fun!
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 08:37 AM UTC
Glad to have your join us Gary i will give a start date wright at the end of the month that should give everybody time to get ready.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 02:01 AM UTC
Well everydody i have a start date for our Rat Rod build January 15 to February 5 that's 22 days that should be plenty of time to do a decent Rat Rod build lets hear from everybody who wants to build if these dates are good and maybe what you guys are building, I so far have a choice of 2 car a 41 Chevy pickup or 55 chevy but i do know what engine i will go with for the 41 a flat head V10 yes that's right a V10.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 10:38 AM UTC

Those dates work for me. I think I should be able to pound out a fairly decent model in 22 days. Please count me in.

I've been poking around my stash again and I think I'm going to set aside that Revell '32 roadster "junk kit" for the build. It's missing some suspension pieces and the engine, but I have plenty of spares in the parts box. Perhaps an I-beam front axle with some scratchbuilt hairpins? Maybe a tri-carb Pontiac 389 with zoomie headers? I might even build it as a lowboy, just to make things interesting...

Robert: I think the '41 Chevy pickup would be a great rat rod. If you haven't built one already, by all means do so, as it's a very nice kit with a lot of potential. I have one "half-built" as a speed shop parts truck, and I really enjoyed the kit to this point.

-YL
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 11:57 AM UTC
Glad to hear you will be joining us Yoni it's sounds like you have lots of ideas for this build, i think i will try that 41 Chevy pickup and i can't wait to start hacking up some plastic to create that Flathead V10 did i say V10 make that V12. I think i will save the 55 for a Gasser build.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 07:07 PM UTC
The date sounds fine to me. I have yet to decide, what to build.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2008 - 01:20 AM UTC
I am glad to hear you are also with us on this build Jesper i hope we get a few more to join in.
WindSword70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2008 - 07:17 AM UTC
The date sounds good to me too. I will do my AMT 55 Chevy like the rat car I drove in high school.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2008 - 12:42 PM UTC
Cool Gary that makes 4, i can't wait to start.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 06:21 PM UTC
Alright, I've just about finished my red baron tie fighter and am chuggin along on the emergency build mack, so I could squeeze in a car.
Question;
- does it have to be street legal?...can I use one of my JR22 rail cars?{sorry, I'm not "that" old to accurately know}
-if not I have the 40' ford from the lindberg truck/trailer/car combo kit or a 32' ford coupe

...sorry, the only other cars I have to build are the 65' dodge yankee peddler awb, j flintstone riviara, dairyland express and A-100 van, a lindy 64' dodge ramchargers 330, and a few funny cars and lemans cars. The stash is mostly air/armor/semis.....

...Cuhail, is your campaign in armorama?...I do have a few 1/35 scale rail cars and a train that I can play with.....one of these days{years-hahaha}.......
 _GOTOTOP