_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Rat Rod 53' Bel Air
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 09:50 AM UTC
Here's my rat rod project. Revell's 53 Bel Air 3-n-1 kit. A quick picture of what she looks like out of the box. Second pic is after I cut off the roof and removed the trim from the sides and added a hood scoop.

First time I've ever, EVER done anything like this to a kit. Hope it turns out OK.

Hermon
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:13 AM UTC
Great mods Hermon it doesn't even look like the same car any more.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:20 AM UTC

Hermon, that looks great so far. Nice work.

But, I thought, for sure, you were a tried-and-true Chrysler man! A Chevy????

Cuhail
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 11:38 AM UTC
Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Quoted Text

But, I thought, for sure, you were a tried-and-true Chrysler man! A Chevy????

Yeah, mighty slim pickin's in the ole car stash pile right now. I'd have given my left...........nose for a 30 somethin' dodge truck to do.

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 03:14 PM UTC
I think he's trying to say he doesn't mind hacking up a chevy.......
Now, is the top going back on but chopped, or is she going to be an aftermarket convertible?
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 08:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd have given my left...........nose for a 30 somethin' dodge truck to do.

Oh, if only there was a kit...

BTW, the Chev looks good without the top. Good call on the offset hood scoop, too.

-YL

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 11:03 PM UTC
Excellent work so far Hermon.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 - 01:47 PM UTC
Yoni, Jesper, thanks.

Bob, the top stays off. No way am I gonna mess with trimming the front and rear glass.
................and to be honest, I only shaved off the moldings to save me the trouble of BMFing it all.

Hermon
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 - 03:00 PM UTC
Engine is done. Not the best job in the world but it'll work.
The plug wires are 8mm fishing line and no, they are NOT in the correct firing order.
Attempted to make some carb linkage with sprue. Not great but again, it'll work.

The body mods are slowing me waaaay down. I'll be sanding most of the weekend.

Hermon
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 - 04:17 PM UTC
Hermon the engine looks very good i like the grease nice and dirty that's how i like my rat rods, just a few ideas don't forget the ignition coil wire, and maybe a little rust wash on the header. Once again great work and you did that really fast.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 02:28 PM UTC
Robert, the coil wire is now on and you were right about the rust on the header.
Here are a couple of pics. First is the front seat. The wash is still wet but I think I'm gonna do some more beating up on it maybe tomorrow. Maybe add some torn pieces of fabric. Second pic is the body in primer. I chose to go with the Floquil boxcar primer instead of the usual flat black or grey. I also left a few spots rough as in not completely sanded perfect. I think this will make it look more like a back yard rod project than something from a body shop. Oh, also finished drilling out the holes where the trim used to be.

Thanks for lookin'
Hermon

PS: I plan on using the stock wheels with full moon hubcaps that came with the kit. Anyone got any ideas on how to strip the chrome from the wheels without taking it off the hubcap? I took an extra chrome wheel from another kit and tried to brush on some Simple Green just around the edge of the rim but it still got all over the whole wheel.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 03:31 PM UTC
That seat looks great Hermon and the contrast with the red primer really give it that rat rod look. I do have an idea for your wheel problem you can try using some liquid mask like laytex rubber as long as it doesn't react to the simple green it should work but i would try it on some scraps first. Keep up the good work, are you having fun yet.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 03:38 PM UTC

The Chev is looking mighty ratty, trim holes and all. I think you did a darn fine job on that front seat.

I think your solution to the wheel chrome issue would be some liquid mask. Microscale makes Micro Mask, which I've used quite often. You should be able to find it at the LHS at just a few bucks a bottle. It's a brush on mask that dries clear, and you can peel (or pry) it off the parts when you're done painting.

The other option is to use plain white glue as a masking agent. If you brush on a few thin coats, you should build up enough protection to strip the chrome before the Simple Green softens the glue.

One other possibility is to strip the whole wheel/hubcap unit, paint it, and metal foil the hubcaps.

-YL
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 06:32 PM UTC

Hey Hermon, that seat looks awesome!
[Technique Alert!!!]
May I suggest going to the local Wal-Mart and buying a Silver Sharpie and a roll of masking tape. Rip off a piece of masking tape and attach it flat to your cutting mat. using a steel ruler and a sharp x-acto, slice the masking tape into 1/8" wide strips about an inch long. Color all the strips silver with the sharpie, let dry for a minute and peel each one off and attach it to your seat. Quick duct tape.

The wheel problem, to strip off ALL the chrome, put some bleach in an old babyfood jar (or the equivalent ) and drop the chrome wheels in. Let them soak for a day and VIOLA!, no chrome! The clearcoat between the chrome and the plastic stays intact. Then, paint as you wish.
[end of Technique Alert!!!]

Looking good all around. Again, that seat came out sweet!
Cuhail
Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Auto Modeler: 234 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 09:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Hermon, that seat looks awesome!
[Technique Alert!!!]
May I suggest going to the local Wal-Mart and buying a Silver Sharpie and a roll of masking tape. Rip off a piece of masking tape and attach it flat to your cutting mat. using a steel ruler and a sharp x-acto, slice the masking tape into 1/8" wide strips about an inch long. Color all the strips silver with the sharpie, let dry for a minute and peel each one off and attach it to your seat. Quick duct tape.

The wheel problem, to strip off ALL the chrome, put some bleach in an old babyfood jar (or the equivalent ) and drop the chrome wheels in. Let them soak for a day and VIOLA!, no chrome! The clearcoat between the chrome and the plastic stays intact. Then, paint as you wish.
[end of Technique Alert!!!]

Looking good all around. Again, that seat came out sweet!
Cuhail

A good oven cleaner works just as well for removing chrome. Just spray on, let the foam do it's work and rinse with water after 30 minutes.. Voila: all chrome gone.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 04:30 AM UTC
Nice job so far...love the seat{yah wanna do a article on how you did that for the rest of us?!- later of course}. Stripping sellect chrome off an item is near impossible, I've tried the liquid mask thing and it still seems to bleed under. I'd say strip the whole rim assy and then try burnishing aluminum foil on the moons..you can glue them on and polish them.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:03 PM UTC
The seat and engine looks great Hermon. Dirty and worn down.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 01:47 AM UTC
Hey thanks for all the kind remarks guys. I'm having a blast building this ole turd and the fact that everyone seems to like it makes it that much more fun.
Here is the front seat again wearing Murphys magic duct tape. I think it came out pretty well. Second pic is the back seat. The big ripped piece of fabric is a piece of gun cleaning patch I glued on. I Futured it to hold it's shape and painted it. No I'm gonna try and make that roll bar.

Hermon
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 03:58 AM UTC
Hermon both seats look great and i really like the duct tape. i new you were having fun with this build, keep up the good work.
LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 63 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 06:59 AM UTC
Looking very nice. Cant wait to see it finished.

Hunter
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 01:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i new you were having fun with this build, keep up the good work.

Robert, you don't know the half of it. If I'd known rat rods were this much fun I'd have been collecting junk parts a long time ago and building them. It's cool to start with something fresh out of the box and end up with something completely different.
Hope to have her done by the weekend. Just finishing up all the little bits and pieces......and if SOMEONE would quit hogging the airbrush I could get more done.

Hermon
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 03:47 PM UTC
Come on Hunter give your old man a break. If i were you Hunter i would be asking for an airbrush for my birthday hint hint.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 11:05 PM UTC
Those seats look awesome Hermon. The duct tape is a great detail. I might have to borrow that one
LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 63 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 03:21 AM UTC
Great idea Robert. I might have to look into that.

Hunter
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 01:54 PM UTC
Here is where she's at now. A few trim pieces, front grill and bumber and a bit of touch up and she's done.

Hermon
 _GOTOTOP