_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
Newbie painting and sanding question
mikes02
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Auto Modeler: 5 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 01:58 PM UTC
So it has been about 15 years or more since I last built a model, decided to give it a try again now that I am older and have more patience

Today I used some Tamiya Semi Gloss Black to paint the chassis of the model I am working on, went on pretty nice, but there is a few spots I would like to sand down and paint again just for a nicer finish.

My question is, after it dries for a day or so, what is the best way for me to sand it down a bit and paint it again? I bought a pack of sandpaper from the hobby store that has the following grits:

320 SIL
150 SIL
600 ALO
400 ALO
280 GARNET

The guy at the hobby store recommended it, the brand is K&S Engineering Company and they call it FLEX-I-GRIT.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 03:13 PM UTC
I use the Flex grit stuff all the time i believe it comes in to packages get both if they have it, this stuff lasts a lot longer than sand paper because the backing is a plastic sheet not paper, also there are several different grits in each set great for model building, use the smoothest grit you can to get the job done so you will have less scratches good luck.
mikes02
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 04:53 PM UTC
Would you recommend wet sanding or is that not necessary? If you do recommend wet sanding, what is the best way to go about it?

Thanks for the advice.
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Auto Modeler: 359 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 02:02 AM UTC
Mike,

For the under carriage/frame, I don't know that you'd need to wet sand. I had some serious sanding to do to my Dodge Deora and just used 400 grit. Once sanded and cleaned up, I shot another coat of paint on it.

The body is a completely different story and I'll leave that to the experts as can be seen Here .

Mike
mikes02
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 06:15 AM UTC
Thank you for the link, I will definitely read through that.
 _GOTOTOP