Scale truck modeling topics.
Emhar bedford swb tipper kit in 1/24
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 05:04 AM UTC
Got depressed the other day about a car build gone bad, so I tried to cheer myself up by ordering the new 1/24 bedford swb tipper kit from emhar thru ebay-uk.....I'll do a box review about her when she shows up and from what I heard it and the long side dump truck should be nice kits.
carleton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 62 posts
Auto Modeler: 39 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 06:20 AM UTC
Hi Bob
Looking forward to the review as it does look to be a nice kit.I know what you mean about the kit gone wrong,I screwed up 2 paint jobs in a row ,both on my kenworths.I boxed it all 2 weeks ago and am digging it out today to try and repair the damage.Sometimes hobby might be the wrong word to describe what we do.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Auto Modeler: 203 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 08:26 AM UTC
Great Bob, I saw them the other day at Squadron, and considered picking one up myself, but I'll wait for the review before deciding.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 10:57 AM UTC
Opened my latest model truck world early today and what do we have...a review of the same truck I just ordered...actually it was a build/review!
No working steering was the only gripe.........I really look forward to this one showing up!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 02:21 PM UTC
Got the kit today...she shipped out from england monday and got here today - the queen's mail rocks!!!{ours sucks}.
Just got back from chuck-e-cheeses and after some of my daughter's birthday cake, we're off to see the fireworks...pics and stuff tomorrow folks, but I did crack it open and it looks good!

The seller was "polarbears3kitscatcat" on ebay....29.99GBP for the kit and 5GBP for shipping= 34.99GBP{or $59.33 US}...a great overthepond seller to the USA!
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Auto Modeler: 231 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 06:33 PM UTC
Just a quick 'google' search reveals a host of conversion possibilities too.

Short-wheelbase tractor for artic trailers
removal lorry
Danish Army
Cooper racing team transporter
mobile canteen
fire truck (rescue ladders and Coventry Climax pump on a trailer)

just the ones I can remember!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 05:23 AM UTC
Ok, here's the kit;
Starting with the box- shown in the upper right hand corner is the other side dump kit they have out now. On the box, you'll see the dump bed in the up position, this, aside from the paint/decals, is the only other major option you have to choose from. The dump can be positioned either up or down, but I think that instead of glueing the hydraulic lift in, I'd carefully glue just the two small side brackets so I could swap the raised or lowered piece in or out pending my mood. There is a number plate to be added if you want, as well as dumpbed height extensions or a headache rack across the front of the dump bed.

Next we got the open box and contents nicely packed-

Glass , doors and rims sprues-As you can see the doors are sepparate pieces...nice touch.

Chassis, bed and more-

Cab, tipper and frame bits-

Nice tire tread-

A rather large decal sheets is provided as well-

I plan on the Bartlets paint scheme simply because I love the fancy euro pinstriping...I want to do this striping to more of my newer, larger truck kits if I can ever easily come across the needed decals.
If there's anything you'd like to see closer or more in detail ask....enjoy since it looks to be a very nice kit! I hope they come thru with more......
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 06:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a quick 'google' search reveals a host of conversion possibilities too.

Short-wheelbase tractor for artic trailers
removal lorry
Danish Army
Cooper racing team transporter
mobile canteen
fire truck (rescue ladders and Coventry Climax pump on a trailer)

just the ones I can remember!

Hey, if you can share some of those pics it's be great! I found a pic of a tow truck but can't copy the pic...not a total loss as it was only a front/side shot with no detail shown for the tow bed....bummer!
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 09:25 AM UTC
I just put 'bedford o' into Google and searched for images

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 03:02 AM UTC
I saw the Padfield's one....like the fancy tow truck on the left....but I didn't see the others.
What's the dark green livery and wood - 2nd down?
The two busses look nice but so does that Cooper racing team!
What length trailer is behind the tractor version? 27 foot?
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 04:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What's the dark green livery and wood - 2nd down??

It's a horsebox.

I've no idea what legth the trailer is on the artic - it was just a pic, no text
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 04:13 AM UTC
Thanks for the heads up...nice woodwork there!
I'll try some more searches under different titles...somebady has to have some multiviews to scale up by.....I'd hope!
casper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 395 posts
Auto Modeler: 107 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 09:23 PM UTC
Bob,
Here's a couple of links that might assist:
http://ccmv.fotopic.net/c855958.html
http://community.webshots.com/user/classicbritishlorries
First site is good - just drop it back to ccmv.fotopic.net and you'll get all the other British breeds. I've got a few more sites that may assist but they seem to have changed URL's so need to hunt them down again.
Just remember the Pom's used Harvey Frost recovery gear - quite different to your Holmes/Garwood stuff .
Got my kits (1 of ea) a few weeks ago, still haven't poppped the hood on them. 1 has been earmarked for widening the cab to make it a Scammell Constructor cab .
Good to finally see something different in this scale and it's good to see it finally hit the shelves, considering it was slated for release in 2005ish.

Roger.
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 06:28 AM UTC
links to some more pics:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/92312267zAyMTX
http://rides.webshots.com/album/40123824VWgZYs

May get one of these trucks myself!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 03:15 PM UTC
See...this is why I really like the UK trucks...they get some really colorful paint schemes!
Now, casper {nice to see yah and thank you sir!}....is this what your talking about?-

What's the difference between the standard O series and this?
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 03:21 PM UTC
Man that pic shrank during the process...here-
http://thumb7.webshots.net/s/thumb1/3/27/50/40232750JkKWrE_th.jpg
...it's still monday!..........
casper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 05:27 PM UTC
Hi ya Bob,
The pic will probably be labelled Bedford/Scammell which the Scammell part refers to the coupling mechanism on the trailer (5th wheel in your lingo ). Scammell had it's own design.
What my intents are is to widen the cab for one of these wee beasties -

From memory I believe KFS produced a pinstriping/scrolls decal sheet, not sure if it's still on their website and I think Auslowe also did a decal sheet.
Quite a few old Bedfords still kickin around my neck of the woods, some still earning a living, some being restored and some 'put out to pasture'. So if you need some detail shots give me a yell and I'll do what I can.
Roger.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 11:11 AM UTC
That's cool. That hood would be a total scratch. What's she meant for...hauling military flats?
casper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 03:58 PM UTC
Hi Bob,
Apart from the modified cab, the Constructor will be 100% scratch - ain't nothing comes close to the Scammell diff's, suspension or any other component available in kit's.
The 1:1's (in Mil service) were mainly ballast tractors for towing full trailers (Engineer plant) but 52 were supplied with fifth-wheel coupling.
Back to the Emhar Bedford - just remembered there was an article in an issue of Classic and Vintage Commercials magazine on the Padfield recovery truck, I'll have a hunt through my copies and see if I have it.
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 88 posts
Auto Modeler: 58 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 10:26 AM UTC
Now that's something unusual, a Bedford in 1/24th! Best of luck with this one Bob. By the way, hows the "Chargerino" coming along? The Goatamino got set to the side here, just got some Custom Van kits off Ebay and I'm off and runnin!
casper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2009 - 06:25 PM UTC
Bob,
Just remembered where I saw the pic's of the Padfields recovery truck -it was on the Bedford Gathering website, unfortunately they have changed URL's so my link doesn't work and haven't bothered to chase it down yet.
It had fore/aft and both side views plus a couple of 3/4 views of the recovery rig.
The CVCM article I was thinking of was of the Bloomfield's Furniture Removal van (LWB).
HTH.
Roger.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 - 02:53 AM UTC
Thanks casper, I'll see if I can hunt it down.

Ron, got another coat of filler on the roof sides last night...will smooth out and snap a pic soon.
casper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 05:55 AM UTC
Bob,
How did your build go with this kit ?. Don't recall seeing a final result/verdict of the kit .
Anyways, was hunting for some other info and came across some good reference material on the Scammell Coupling as used on the Bedford OSS (artic tractor unit), if you jump onto Google Patents and punch in "Scammell Coupling Oliver North" it will bring up a few results (with basic mechanical drawings of how it works)
http://www.google.com/patents
If you can't find them give me a yell and I'll send them thru (PDF's) .

Roger.
 _GOTOTOP