Soft -tail springer
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Auto Modeler: 231 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 03:38 AM UTC
Testors/Lincoln Mint Harley Springer.
A pretty ropy kit, mould lines all over the place, loads of flash, imprecise instructions - you name it and it's in this kit. If I ever do another from this series all the chrome will come off and I'll silver paint it all - you can see the scraped areas and touch-ups in the photos. Getting the decals on the tanks was a pig too - they didn't want to curve.
Paint is Rimmel nail varnish - as I brush paint it's the best way of getting a decent metallic/pearl finish.

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 08:03 AM UTC
Nice, what scale is that kit?
Question, did you try any decal softener on the decals...I had to go back 4-5 times{really!} to re apply softener to get mine to settle down well enough to then clear coat over them. Was using micro sol and micro set.
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 08:19 AM UTC
The kit is 1/9 scale. I didn't have any decal softner, they were thin and I thought they'd go down ok, but they just wouldn't take the double-curve.
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Auto Modeler: 97 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 11:59 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

Nice work - I've always liked the look of these Testors kits. Pity about the decals.

Rudi
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 09:10 PM UTC
Cheers Rudi

Despite my criticism, they aren't bad kits; so if you want a good size Harley get one. The problems with the decals are probably more down to me than with the kit, and any mould line will show more on chrome than any other finish.

Harleys are like Spitfires - you can't have too many!
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Auto Modeler: 76 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 - 12:38 AM UTC
Despite the problems with the decals it looks nice. They molded the rear tire too small too. It should tuck up under/into the rear fender more. Also looks like the seat is riding high where it meets the frame. I ride a FXDWG which is similar in appearance. You might want to try tidying up your cables a bit as they are just kinda hangin' in the wind as they are now. Tuck them in tight to the bars/frame with enough slack to allow for movement in turns, compression and rebound of the suspension. Nice paint job for being brushed. Wouldn't have known if you didn't say anything. "Q"
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
Auto Modeler: 64 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 - 02:30 AM UTC
Very nice build Dave , even with the decal trouble which you had you might be able to fix it still . Slice the wrinkle with a new # 11 blade and add a small drop of super sol let this set for about 15 minutes and lighty roll a q-tip over it . You might have to do this a few times depending on the thickness of the decals . Not sure if this will work for you but it is worth a try I guess .

Brush painted ! man it looks like you airbrushed the colour !!!
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 - 06:23 AM UTC
Matthew - the tire problem is probably my fault - on the stand the rear suspension is fully extended so there is a larger gap between tyre and mudguard.

Terri and others - thanks for the compliments on the paint - I don't even have an airbrush so it's good old sable all the way!

Revell 1/8 Triumph Tiger on the way, just awaiting final gloss varnishing - pics tomorrow probably
krow113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 473 posts
Auto Modeler: 257 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 05:42 AM UTC
I cant see a pic of your model is it just me?
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 07:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I cant see a pic of your model is it just me?

The pics are still there, and show ok to me!
krow113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 473 posts
Auto Modeler: 257 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 02:22 PM UTC
So I click on photos under your call sign - I see the albums there - I click on the springer and blank spaces come up with a dot in the middle. I click on those and the space is empty - all the info is ther but no pic. Dammmit!?
 _GOTOTOP