Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Revell Datsun 240Z
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 11:46 PM UTC
Bob, dude, if I could READ at all I most likely wouldn't be hangin' around with you guys.

Hermon
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 02:35 PM UTC
Little update.
The paint is on the body. I'll let it dry over night then hit it with some 4000 and 8000 grit sand paper. If it's smooth enough I'll shoot a coat of Future over it tomorrow. The color is plain old Tamiya Gold.

Think I'm gonna use the kit rally stripe decals (black) to break up all that color.

Hermon
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 02:51 PM UTC
Looking mighty sweet, Hermon. The gold is nice.

Now all you need is the zombie cutter...uhhh, I mean the rally stripes, and you'll be all set.

-YL

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 10:51 AM UTC
Thanks Yoni. Speaking of rally stripes, there going on right now. I'm not a big fan of stripes and graphics, but the black stripes really look good on this one and it breaks up all the gold. This is a zombie free build. Any zombies drooling on my Z will involuntarily loose their heads.

Pic's tomorrow hopfully.
Hermon
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 12:01 PM UTC
Decals are on......well, most of them. I'll finish the other side tonight. A trial fit of the body to the chassis shows the car sitting really high. I'll either have to do some modification to the suspension, or display the Z with a brick on the roof.

Almost ready to wrap this one up. Should have some finished pic's by the weekend unless I have any unforseen interruptions like eating, sleeping, working, etc.

Hermon
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 12:25 PM UTC
That's looking super slick. Was that rear decal tricky?

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 12:51 PM UTC
No.
I am a master.

Actually, the Datsun 240Z decal is seperate and goes over the black stripe so it's almost idiot proof. Again, I am a master so it was no problem for me. I also used copious amounts of Micro-sol to snug it down. All of the badges are decals, so you don't have to use a tiny brush and silver paint, just slap on the decal and it looks great.

All decals are now on. Time to do the chrome trim. My favorite part. Not. But again, I am a master so it should be no problem.

Hermon
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 11:03 PM UTC
the black decal looks great on the gold paintjob.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 11:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No.
I am a master.
All decals are now on. Time to do the chrome trim. My favorite part. Not. But again, I am a master so it should be no problem.
Hermon

Hermon, I can picture you sitting there typing this with a perfectly straight face !! Stop it man, you're killing me

D

P.S. Super job on the Datto, I love the scheme and finish. Mad skills bro, MAD I tell ya.
Modelbouwerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 794 posts
Auto Modeler: 179 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 05:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No.
I am a master.
But again, I am a master so it should be no problem.

Hermon, you are really a humble person.
And the Datsun looks great.

Erikssson.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 11:38 AM UTC
I never said exactly what I was a master of.
Most who know me well would say I'm a master BSer.

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 11:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bob, dude, if I could READ at all I most likely wouldn't be hangin' around with you guys.

Hermon

Me...I look at the pictures!{shhhhhh!}
Nice job. A coat of future will finish her up great. ..and I ain't touchin that last comment with a scale, or real for that matter, 10' pole!!!!!
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 12:24 PM UTC
Even a master like myself learns a lesson from time to time. Today I learned to apply the BMF BEFORE the decals. While applying the BMF to the top of the windshield I ripped off a piece of the rally stripe decal.

I haven't drank a drop of alcohol in 15 years. I'm about ready to start back.

Hermon
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 01:19 PM UTC
Oh, man. Bummer about the ripped decal, Hermon. As you found out, the BMF adhesive is sometimes strong enough to do that.

Any chance you can use some spare black decal bits from the parts box to touch up the area? That and some clearcoat might make things right again.

-YL
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 01:56 PM UTC
aaaawwwwwwwhhhhhhh, bogus! That's a gnarly situation you got your self into.

umm, go with Yoni's suggestion or get on the Buy, Sell or Trade thread forum and ask around for that decal set

Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 04:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

umm, go with Yoni's suggestion or get on the Buy, Sell or Trade thread forum and ask around for that decal set

Nice one, KSO. It didn't even occur to me to get a spare decal set. I'll bug some local modeling buddies to see if they have one. Hermon, get checking the forums!

-YL
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 06:43 PM UTC
NOOOOOOOOooooooooo....... Hermon, I'm bleeding for you man !!

But then, with your mad skills you could colour match the decal and freehand a little patch-up, no?

There are some Auto-nuts in my local model club, and we also have a "Decal Bank" of spare sets. I'll check the bank, and ask around and see if anybody has them floating for you.

Cheers, D
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 - 11:42 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips guys. I don't think I have anything except some P-51 invasion stripes in the box that could work. I'm just gonna plug along and finish everything else up and worry about it later.

Damian, even if you found some it would cost more to ship them here than 2 more full kits would be worth. But hey, you still owe me a million bucks anyway.

Hermon
Loobes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 409 posts
Auto Modeler: 87 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 01:44 AM UTC
You could paint the stripe back on - paint a black stripe then spray a thin gold one. Would take some masking but it could be possible
Bob127
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Auto Modeler: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 02:06 PM UTC
Found this site and thread while looking for engine bay photos for reference on my Revell 240Z build. I going to try some new techniques on this model and I have no intention of using the rally stripe decals. Herman - send me a pm with your address and I'll send you the black stripes.

You seem to have a good sense of humor so I'll say I had to laugh when you filled in the rear bumper holes - that mistake doesn't fit your skill level. Your build looks very impressive.

Question, I know the kit instructions call that thing on the wheel well an oil external oil filter but I cannot find any pictures that ever show that. Maybe its just the light? And what is that thing sticking out of the block below the plugs with the two little nibs? In the photos I've seen that's pretty close to where the oil filter is???? And I think that's what I'm going to call it too.

Bob
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 11:31 AM UTC
Bob, thanks for the offer! PM sent!

Yeah, the whole "bumper hole" thing...............the only valuable lesson I learned on that one is NOT to post pic's of my goof-ups. These guys around here never let you live down something like that.

Now, as for the thing sticking out of the block. That is indeed the oil filter. The reason I believe it has the two small towers sticking out of it is for the oil lines going to the remote oil filter. As far as I know, Datsun NEVER offered this as a factory or dealer installed option. K&N and a few other manufacturers have these remote oil filter kits and I've installed quite a few of them in my time. Without an actual oil COOLER, the only benifit from a remote oil filter set up is that you gain an extra quart of oil, and the filter is easier to get to. You may be right about it being a light. But if it is, it's the wrong shape and in the wrong location (not by far though.)

There are several more things with this kit that aren't correct, but it's still a good kit. The battery is turned the wrong way. Interior isn't perfect, wrong radio, choke, and E-brake set up, etc. But it's close enough. Actually, my biggest gripe (other than the high stance) of this kit is the lack of factory wheels. The rally wheels are all you get, and they are chrome instead of the polished aluminum that the original mags were.

Here's a pic of a pretty original 240Z engine bay. You can tell it's a 240 and not a 260 becaue of the rounded tops on the carbs. The 260 is almost exactly the same but has "flat top" carbs. Notice the location of the engine bay light on the passenger fender. Again, the kit piece is totally wrong to be a light, but you may very well be correct when you said that's what Revell ment it to be.

BTW But the blue spark plug wires are also not factory. They look like the old Laserlight plugs that I installed on a couple of Z cars I had long ago. Pretty cool stuff. They are actually a translucent blue and at night with the engine running and the hood popped you can see the sparks traveling from the distributer to the plugs.

Hermon
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 11:32 AM UTC
Almost forgot, Welcome to AutoModeler Bob!

Just remember to wear some tall boots when you're here. It gets pretty deep sometimes.

Hermon
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 12:45 PM UTC
Thanks for posting that pic, Hermon. I'll need it when I finally get my hands on one of those kits!

-YL
Bob127
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Auto Modeler: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 01:58 PM UTC
The decals are packed - I'll drop 'em in the mail tomorrow. I'm glad I could help you out.

I had an '83 280ZX Turbo (I'm not quite sure about the year). I'm still undecided on the 240 color scheme - don't know if I'll go factory or copy my 280 colors - white with red interior. Don't think anyone makes a 280ZX kit??

Bob
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 02:46 PM UTC
cool cool, decal problem solved. This site Rocks!