_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Revell Datsun 240Z
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 07:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't think anyone makes a 280ZX kit??

Bob - if my rapidly fading memory serves me correctly, both AMT and Monogram kitted a 280Z in some form back in the day. The AMT version was an early 80's ZX; I'm pretty sure it was an '81, and a turbo. The Monogram kit was a regular 280Z-car (circa 1976), and they also issued a Rally version with added racing lights and rally decals. All of them are long OOP, but you may turn something up on eBay.

BTW, it was great of you to pass along those decals!

-YL
Bob127
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Auto Modeler: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 01:36 AM UTC
I took another look at the external oil filter part last nite and it definitely is not the light. I agree with Herman about the deficiencies of this kit and would like to add my biggest grip - the rear and side windows. I don't know what I'm going to do with those abominations yet. With all that said this is a decent kit overall. The chrome engine parts and wheels were removed from the purple stuff last nite.

Herman, there is one thing I would like to ask - then we'll call it even for the decals. How did you detail the dash and console? Pencil, dry brushing, very very small detail brush?
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 04:15 AM UTC
Bob, thanks again for the decals. And, we're not even till I return the favour. I only owe about 400 people here so far.

The dash knobs and console were done with a sable brush and silver paint. Normally I'd tone down the silver and drybrush it but I thought I'd do it a bit different this time.
Yoni is right about the AMT and Monogram kits. There are also kits by Fujimi (a really nice one), and Airfix. Matter of fact all these kits are for auction on Ebay right now for around $12.00.
As a side note, I also have the Hasegawa 240Z fairlady kit. It's double the price of the Revell kit with half the detail. It doesn't even have an engine.

Anyhoo.........when you make some progress on yours, put up some pic's.

Hermon
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 07:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yoni is right about the AMT and Monogram kits. There are also kits by Fujimi (a really nice one), and Airfix. Matter of fact all these kits are for auction on Ebay right now for around $12.00.
As a side note, I also have the Hasegawa 240Z fairlady kit. It's double the price of the Revell kit with half the detail. It doesn't even have an engine.

I totally forgot about the Fujimi kit. I purposely forgot the Hasegawa one.

Although neither of them were 280s.

-YL
Bob127
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 12:43 AM UTC
Hermon, 15 years without drinking have given you a steady hand. Especially the work on the dash - by hand ??? - that's crazy good.

Took a look at the ebay offerings: One of them, I think the Fujimi looks like it has a snow plow on the front end with that bumper, sorry to say that really turns me off. Surprised to hear about the Hasagawa kit - they make some mighty fine airplane models. The one that looks the closest is the AMT - but - I already have more kits than I will ever complete . . . .
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 01:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Herman, there is one thing I would like to ask - then we'll call it even for the decals. How did you detail the dash and console? Pencil, dry brushing, very very small detail brush?

G'day Bob. Hermon has MAD skills, he most likely used a hammer and chisel !!

BTW do you have any relatives Down Under, my mum's maiden name is Cole !

Cheers, D
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 10:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW do you have any relatives Down Under, my mum's maiden name is Cole !

Cheers, D

D, you have a mother? Does she admitt to this?

Bob, no matter what, you ARE NOT related to Damian.

Hermon
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 11:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

D, you have a mother? Does she admitt to this?

Bob, no matter what, you ARE NOT related to Damian.

Hermon

Yes I have a mother, they even let her out some weekends

Cheers, D
Bob127
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 02:21 PM UTC
You guys crack me up. Cole was "Americanized" from Kukulka by my Great-grandfather. So no, no relatives down under. Why do you ask? Is there a family resemblance?

Hmmm.... maybe its time to get started on that 1/72 FW189 . . . . heck, who am I kidding - I'll never finish it by August. And another coincidence, I've got three '71 Cuda kits on hand, the convert for the interior, one for the dual scoop and one for the shaker . . . my brother in law kept changing his mind on the hood during his complete 1:1 rebuild. Oh!, it's a 383 by the way.

Herman - I looked at the coil springs on the 240 and the top part don't look big enough around to fit the lower part up in there. Maybe just cut a section out and glue back together with piano wire reinforcement???

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 05:53 PM UTC
Hey Bob, how's this for subtle ??

Quoted Text

Hmmm.... maybe its time to get started on that 1/72 FW189 . . . . heck, who am I kidding - I'll never finish it by August.

Link to Boom Boom Campaign Enlistment Page

Quoted Text

And another coincidence, I've got three '71 Cuda kits on hand, the convert for the interior, one for the dual scoop and one for the shaker

Link to Demolition Derby Enlistment Page (because that's what MOPARs are for !!)

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 12:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Link to Demolition Derby Enlistment Page[/url] (because that's what MOPARs are for !!)

D, I love ya like a brother.........but don't expect me to throw down a bucket of ice water to ya when you're in Hell.

Hermon
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 12:47 PM UTC
Bob, got your decals in the mail today. Now I can get back to work on the Z!!

Many thanks

Hermon
Bob127
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 11:18 AM UTC
I'm happy to have helped out. I'm looking forward to seeing some more pics. Any thoughts on what you're going to do to the height?
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 11:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm happy to have helped out. I'm looking forward to seeing some more pics. Any thoughts on what you're going to do to the height?

I thought Hermon had already planned on using the "brick method".

-YL
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Auto Modeler: 231 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 11:36 AM UTC
Really neat build on the 'Z'. The ONLY Japanese car I've ever wanted, since the mechanic that was changing the engine on our MGB had one.

I've got the Fujimi version on order - at least that has the steering wheel on the right side being the Japanese market version !! Don't know yet what colour I'll paint it - most of the ones I've seen on the road are a funny 'red oxide' shade.......
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
Auto Modeler: 62 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 12:52 AM UTC
I love your build. Hope you get this one finished up soon. I am waiting for the re-release of the big Tamiya 240 ZG on the next month or two.

I had an '83 280ZX. It was my favorite of all the cars I owned up untill about 6 months ago. It was black with gold pinstripes. It had a tan leather digital interior. Five speed. Every option except the T-Tops. I miss that car.

_GOTOTOP