_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Re-doing chrome parts
Grizzly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Auto Modeler: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 02:44 AM UTC
Hey Guy's,

Decided to broaden my modeling horizons by trying some civilian vehicles (armor modeler here) and looking over the parts of one of the car kits I have, planning on how to tackle this was thinking of stripping the chrome parts, cleaning them up and them re painting them. I tried touching a front bumper up after trimming off excess but nothing I did matched the chrome that was already on it. So questions, 1. what is the best way to remove the chrome off the parts and second what do most of you use to re chrome? I have some of krylons spray chrome colors used for an art project for school, would these be good for plastic kit parts? Any advice would be mucho appreciated.
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Auto Modeler: 95 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 10:45 AM UTC
Step one.....get yourself a bottle of Castrol Super Clean to remove the chrome. Dump some in a tupperware container, put your parts in, and 20-30 mins later, no chrome. The Super Clean can be reused, and is also great for stripping paint from old models as well.

Step 2, clean the de-chromed parts, luke warm water and soap.

Step 3, paint said parts gloss black.

Step 4, paint parts with Alclad Chrome.

Step 5, sit back and admire your handy work.
Grizzly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 11:21 AM UTC
Thanks Scott, sounds simple enough, but curious, why gloss black? and alclad, is that a spray or airbrush medium?
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
Auto Modeler: 53 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 11:27 AM UTC
Gloss black will give it a better shine.If you'll do alot of re-chroming,i suggest you to buy alclad base coat too,either black or gray.

http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=26&osCsid=a1085ab40573ebf5359a4d91a3793f2c

Alclad is a pre-thinned paint to use in airbrush.

Kind regards,Sven.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 12:20 PM UTC
Hi Thomas.

The guys are on the mark here, as always. I have recently started a rebuild on a 57 Chev and the first thing I had to do was strip down an already started engine assembly.
You can see the first stage about 4 posts down in the thread HERE
Next stage was to prime the parts for re-finishing, I use Tamiya Semi-gloss black acrylic, but I have seen others get great results with gloss black or even grey primers. The final finish is airbrushed Alclad, and you can see those steps about 3/4 down the page (post dated March 26) in the thread HERE .

Hope this helps.

Cheers, D
Grizzly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 02:01 PM UTC
Thanks guys. Damian nice work on that car loved the blue you chose. always wondered how you car guys got those polished paint finishes, thought it was just several thin layers of gloss paint, going to have to check back here when it comes time to painting my car bodies. what I have is a 55 Chevy panel truck, my grandad use to have one, love that truck, then my dad got his hands on it in the 60's and had an arty buddy paint the whole truck in flames and a dragon going down both sides of the truck, so am thinking of a cool paint and marking scheme for the model.
Other car I have to build up is for my wife, her dream car is a 641/2 Mustang convertible, she saw an old kit of one in a hobby store in Anaheim that sells mostly cars and has alot of OOP kits. Kind of nervous about jumping in on them since all I have ever done was armor, but after reading your posts and going through this site a little more I am actually kind of eager to get going.
Just got to remember no battle damage,
 _GOTOTOP