_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Up for another Group Build??
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Auto Modeler: 244 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2013 - 08:27 PM UTC
Now that German Beauties has started and DaveCox already nailing the first ribbon, I was wondering what you would like to see on the horizon??

I am open for ideas... something radical??
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Auto Modeler: 231 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2013 - 09:09 PM UTC
How about a 'classic'or 'vintage' build? Any car before 1970, or perhaps earlier, maybe 1960?

Any scale, any nationality, just must have been in production before a certain date, and the older the kit the better. Perhaps some of the old AMT/Aurora kits might surface?

I must admit to a bit of self-interest here - I've got a big stash from Heller's 1930s Bentley 4 1/2 litre, Delahaye 135, Bugatti T50 & Minicraft 1/16 Jag SS100 to Tamiya's Mk2 Jag, Lotus 7 and Europa,

HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2013 - 09:52 PM UTC
Sounds good to me!! I've got a bunch of "Hot Rods" I could build from that time period.

I guess a question is though what era 'vintage' and 'classic' start now-a-days... for me that would be from say 1964 and earlier.

Ask my son and he says the 90's. I'm a 65' myself, I am in no way classic nor vintage (yet, eventhough my son thinks so )
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2013 - 10:34 PM UTC
I'd be happy with pre1965.

That would include the early Corvettes, Mustangs and T-Birds for the muscle-car fans, and the E-types,Astons, VWs, 250GTOs, 911s and BMW/Jag/Ford saloons etc for the Euro types among us.
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 04:54 AM UTC
I was thinking a little more about this at work today. Why not set up several Group Builds all at once??

Jan - Jul is German Beauties
Mar - Sep is Vintage & "not so" Classic (undecided still)
Jul - Dec is say F1/Race
Sep - Mar is say a "meaty" muscle car group build

But thinking maybe the truckers and motorcyclists want to get involved, so yeah sure! Lets decide something else!

Just ideas, maybe even gone overboard, but planning the build is half of the fun (for me at least)...
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 07:17 AM UTC
That'd suit me fine - all my stash would come into the first two categories anyway......
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Auto Modeler: 294 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 09:57 AM UTC
Sounds like a good group build line-up to me
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 09:26 PM UTC
Thinking that there was a thread not to long ago about a GB, I searched it out. Mike High had an idea that everybody seemed to enjoy so maybe that should be put in the second GB spot.

So the change would look like this:

Jan - Jul is German Beauties
Mar - Sep is Urban Haulin as per Mike's idea in this thread
Jul - Dec is Vintage & Classic
Sep - Mar 2014 is say F1/Race

DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 10:28 PM UTC
I know I replied in Mike's original thread, but just what is 'urban haulin'?

Sounds like pick-up trucks maybe?or is it slang for a custom car?
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 12:15 AM UTC
A poor attempt at making a catchy title for Mike's idea of "People Movers with spice".

I tried to make a play on Chip Foose's show "Overhaulin".

Nothing is set in stone, nor am I in charge, I'm just making suggestions...
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Auto Modeler: 268 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 01:46 AM UTC
I'm still interested. Definitely for the Vintage/Classic after July.
For the Urban Haulin earlier, I'm somewhat campaigned-up. But if I were able, to be clear, are we talking custom cars-- hot rods? Cruising on a city street somewhere?
thanks!
-Sean H.
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 04:00 AM UTC
To be honest, I'm not quite sure. This is what Mike had to say in the linked in thread:

Quoted Text

"So....anyone interested in a Group Build? Not seeing any happening, per se. I'd be kinda diggin' on something semi-standard; auto/pickup. Nice paint, maybe some AM? Nothing like only Ford or Chevy, not that specific.

Got the itch to finally get my Ranchero going again...need some shiney paint, not camo (unless I do an Urban digital on it!)."

"Yep Sean, an automotive group build. Simple, fun, easy, as crazy in paint or AM as the builder wants. Don't think I'd worry much on scale (have 1-24 to 1-32).

I'm in need of "Shiney."

"AM is After Market. Like Aber vents or Pegasus wheels and tires or something bought to dress the kit up (like Photo Etch for a Tank or Plane)."

"Cars or pickups or vans. Your everyday "people movers" with some spice. Prefer shiney paint. (Gloss Urban could be neat)

I'm thinking my Ranchero with a bit of AM (vents, hood pins, tires and rims) and either Urban (Berlin Brigade) camo or Hi-gloss bright a$$'d lemon yellow.

Scale? Any? 1/48 to 1/24?"

My take is not really a "Custom" or a "Hot Rod", but still in that direction. A vehicle with something different and added on than what was on the original or stock version. A low budget Custom or Hot Rod if you will
 _GOTOTOP