_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Removing seam lines from tires
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Auto Modeler: 294 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 04:08 AM UTC
Auto modeling presents its own set of challenges, one of them being the removal of seam lines from rubber/vinyl tires. How about sharing your preferred method of getting through this task?

I'll start:
Most times I'll use a hot knife method. My gas soldering torch came with a rope cutter which works great for "melting" off the seam lines. Work slow and carefully, making sure you only melt away the seam line and not dig into the tire! Works great for getting rid of the nibs on the inner part where the rim goes too
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Auto Modeler: 231 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 04:28 AM UTC
Depending on the size of the flash/seam I use a brand-new scalpel blade followed by medium grade wet'n'dry to give a use look; or just the wet'n'dry.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 06:25 AM UTC
First of all, what a great idea for posts. Sharing tips and tricks like this.
I use a scalpel. The best result I get with a semi sharp blade. To sharp I tend to take of to much, to dull not enough.
Then I use (and here I do not have and english word for this) sandpaper, which is not sandpaper, since it is on fabric and used for metal. I have this in several degrees of roughness. I use a soft one for the sides of the tire and a rougher one for the threads.
russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 01:04 PM UTC
I've used the scalpel. I will try the wet/dry sandpaper.

James, your method sounds great for the inner nibs in particular. I always manage to dig into the sidewall on at least one nib with the sharp blade. Would it work to repair crease lines in tires?
Sniper769
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Auto Modeler: 28 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 03:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I use a scalpel. The best result I get with a semi sharp blade. To sharp I tend to take of to much, to dull not enough.
Then I use (and here I do not have and english word for this) sandpaper, which is not sandpaper, since it is on fabric and used for metal. I have this in several degrees of roughness. I use a soft one for the sides of the tire and a rougher one for the threads.

The word you're looking for is emery cloth
smithrp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 79 posts
Auto Modeler: 7 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 03:33 AM UTC
I made a mandrel to fit the tire on and then fit it in my electric drill. while spinning it hold a piece of 80 grit sand paper against the tread. It not only removes the seam line nice and evenly, but also makes the tire look used. It is a lot quicker and safer than using a knife.
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Auto Modeler: 40 posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013 - 01:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The word you're looking for is emery cloth

Correct, you took the words right out of my mouth
 _GOTOTOP