_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
What is it?
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Auto Modeler: 231 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 05:43 AM UTC
Little quiz for you (no prizes!).

What is this 1960s GT concept car? Who made it. what's it based on?

BTW - the original wasn't green, but I'm trying to vary the body colours in my collection.
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 07:53 AM UTC
Ford
Cougar II

It looks like a Sting Ray 'Vette, was it based on this?

http://www.modelcars.com/model-kit-zoom/lindberg-1963-ford-cougar-ii-concept.jpg

The young DaveCox standing next to one for visual scale
http://www.carstyling.ru/Static/SIMG/420_0_I_MC_jpg_W/resources/concept/large/1963_Ford_Cougar-II_06.jpg

DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 07:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ford
Cougar II

It looks like a Sting Ray 'Vette, was it based on this?

[

I thought it'd take longer than that! Ford's answer to the Corvette, built on the chassis of Shelby Cobra CSX008.
And yes, it is Lindberg's kit. Quite nice considering it's age. Had a disaster with the paint when I tried to replicate the original 'candy apple red' - the paint crazed as the candy aerosol reacted with the red base and it all had to be stripped. I have too many red cars anyway, so it ended up as Rover British Racing Green.
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 08:23 AM UTC
It actually would have taken a lot longer for me but your clues: 1960s GT concept, helped speed up the search.

The green looks fine on that body. I think there were 1968 Ford Torino in that green.

vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Auto Modeler: 40 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 11:04 AM UTC
If you're having trouble with "candies" or any metallics, House of Kolor has a line of model car paints under the line Kustom Kolor that shoot wonderfully through an air brush. They're really something else to work with.
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 - 05:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you're having trouble with "candies" or any metallics, House of Kolor has a line of model car paints under the line Kustom Kolor that shoot wonderfully through an air brush. They're really something else to work with.

Thanks for the info Jeremy, but I don't use an airbrush or have a place indoors to use one. Paintbrush or aerosol only I'm afraid.

In this case it was my own fault - I didn't read the label on the can properly. Putting laquer over Humbrol didn't work.........
 _GOTOTOP