Scale motorcycle modeling topics.
How to make motorcycle pipe discoloration
Wolf-Leader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Auto Modeler: 14 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 08:00 AM UTC
I hope the title wasn't to confusing,but what I'm trying to do is the discoloration on the exhaust pipe when it gets to hot. It turns that blueish,rainbow color. There once was a tutorial on a Japanese modeling website I saw on youtube but now I can't seem to find it anymore. The modeler that was painting the motorcycle exhaust from what I could see was using Tamiya colors. What they where was as far as see because the video was slightly blurred was blue,orange and yellow I'm not sure. If anyone can please help me with this in knowing the step by step way of painting the exhaust or if there is a tutorials out there I would greatly apprecieate it.
Thank you
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Auto Modeler: 231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 09:18 AM UTC
The best results that I've had, I've used Tamiya clear colours. Starting with yellow, then orange and lastly blue. Starting at the cylinder head end, and brushing the colours out so that they fade as the brush runs out of paint.

Practice on a piece of sprue or an old model before using it on a good kit!

Hope this helps.
Hohenstaufen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Auto Modeler: 29 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 10:14 AM UTC
Jody, which kit are you doing this on? Please note that Japanese road motorcycles tend not to "blue" the pipes as they are double skinned. As I, like Dave own old British iron and Guzzis, with single skin pipes, I am used to seeing this effect. Some new bikes like the Royal Enfields do it too as they are burning "lean". Since I only use Humbrol paint, that's what I've used on my old Protar kits. As Dave says, the colour starts dark blue at the cylinder head and progresses to a light straw colour as it peters out. I've also found thinned gold paint to look quite effective. The effect is more marked if the timing is slightly advanced, the pipes get very hot. What I tend to do is brush the paint on matt, then, before it's quite dry, overpaint with gloss varnish. This smoothes things out and blends the colours. Don't make both sides the same, one pot always runs hotter than the other on a British twin. The colour usually extends to around the first bend, unless your ignition timing is out or your carb is set up too lean!
 _GOTOTOP