The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Deathrace 2014 Campaign
russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 04:51 AM UTC
I'd sure like to join. I just need to keep from getting sidetracked. I spent way too much time as a kid playing spyhunter. Then they sent me to PIT training. One little nudge and I can clear my lane.
Wolfsangel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 221 posts
Auto Modeler: 33 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 07:12 AM UTC
Great idea Paul. Here's one (briefly).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLCmcV4gC_0&feature=player_detailpage
The dog is my favorite.

Russ, I had forgotten about that quarter-eater. I played enough that I could have owned 2 cabinets.
As for the PIT, a Sheriff buddy of mine taught me and I taught him a Bootlegger Reverse. He used it twice too. First time to get out of traffic to respond to a call. Second time: left his Crown Vics' transmission spread out for about 50 feet. Ooops...
Charlie
hofpig
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Auto Modeler: 24 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 12:52 AM UTC
Charlie,

Thinking about using this as a weapon....

Is this too Sci-fi? Thining of mounting it as a sort of EMP/laser weapon?

and maybe this one to!

Paul
Wolfsangel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 02:26 AM UTC
Paul, I think those will work very well! Warhammer? They look like they came straight out of a Car Wars Uncle Alberts catalog or a Mad Max movie garage. Way to re-purpose!
hofpig
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 02:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul, I think those will work very well! Warhammer? They look like they came straight out of a Car Wars Uncle Alberts catalog or a Mad Max movie garage. Way to re-purpose!

You got me there both are indeed warhammer( forgeworld to be precise). On a side note now I have looked into it the sprint car has a minor issue as a base kit, the rear tyres are different sizes. But I might just buy two and build one now and another later on, thus having two with different size rear tyres!

Paul
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Auto Modeler: 192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 07:00 AM UTC
For those that need some inspiration here's what I started last year.

And here's an very early photo with the light bar working. The 'tail' lights will also flash when I get around to finishing this one.

Not a racer but not a cop car you'd want to try running from.
HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Auto Modeler: 182 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 04:34 AM UTC
Cool Luciano,

Here is the police car that I made for the End Of Days campaign.

If you click on the pictures they will take you to the End Of Days gallery.

I need to get busy drawing up some ideas for my entry in this campaign.

Thanks,
Randy
HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 10:06 AM UTC
Well here is what I am plan on using for this campaign. Instead of a muscle car, pick-up or truck I decided to go the other direction. I got this VW kit at a thrift store about 5 years ago and decided it would be fun to use for this campaign. Nothing quite says "Get Out Of My Way" like a Volkswagen!!!! I will be Mad Maxing it out along with some bits and pieces from my car junk box that came from a garage sale. This should be fun.

Deathrace 2014 Campaign

Now to just find the motivation to get started on it!!

Thanks,
Randy

hofpig
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 11:03 PM UTC
Well both vehicle base kits ordered(to have a matched pair of rear wheels!), weapons ordered. 1 fuel tank has arrived so I will be ready to go on wednesday. I can't wait.

Paul
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
Auto Modeler: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 07:18 PM UTC
For this campaign I'll be building a MG TC turned into a light armored scout car. I have most of the key parts but will need a set of 1/32 scale Jeep wheels and the front spring axle assembly. I have in mind something along the lines of a M3 Scout Car from WW2. The 50 Cal. guns came from a 1/32 Monogram armored car that I built 35 years ago. I also dug out my set of 1/32 Airfix Marines to use for the crew. The set comes with positionable figures and weapons including M1's and Browning Automatic Rifles.
A Factional History
A little known part of armored car history though not well documented, was the creation of a light scout car based on the MG TC. Designated the MG M4, the car was created as a fast scout vehicle for operation during low intensity conflicts. The chassis was strengthened, horsepower was enhanced and welded armor was added to provide some protection for the crew. Armament consisted of mounts for 30 or 50 Cal. guns as well as storage for other small arms. The Légion étrangère bought 12 of these for use in North Africa and they were put into service in Algeria in during the 1954 civil war. Their service during the conflict was exemplary; only one was lost to enemy fire.
hofpig
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 02:26 AM UTC
The Vehicle has been started yesterday. I'll post some pictures when I have a new copy of windows and fixed my PC (I am at the local library typijng this one!).

Hope to be back up and running on this by Sunday.

Paul
Wolfsangel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 - 05:27 AM UTC
Allllrighty Then! Sorry I'm late to my own party (Fashionably Late). Stuck in Houston all week for work.

Anywho, can everybody chime in with the general idea of their builds (with the exception of Paul, Randy, and Brent) just so we can get the gist of things to come?
I'll get mine together this weekend after clearing my table from all the last-minute, half-finished builds stacked up.
Thanks,
Charlie
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Auto Modeler: 268 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 - 06:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anywho, can everybody chime in with the general idea of their builds (with the exception of Paul, Randy, and Brent) just so we can get the gist of things to come?
I'll get mine together this weekend after clearing my table from all the last-minute, half-finished builds stacked up.
Thanks,
Charlie

I've got the Knight Rider kit out in my garage, box all damp, terrible red paint over black styrene, that I hope to resurrect as some kind of armored rat rod. Still floating ideas around. Hope to get to work around June, I guess. Watching the rest of you with interest though!
-Sean H.
hofpig
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 - 11:09 PM UTC
Ok Guys,

The computer is back up and running so some pics are in order...

The bits to build the small beast.

Weapons and fuel tank.

The frame. Only a few bits added but plenty to add and aint.

Paul
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 953 posts
Auto Modeler: 157 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 10:42 AM UTC
Good luck Paul...
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Auto Modeler: 244 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 10:29 PM UTC
Great idea Charlie!! I'm going to have to sit this one out though...
hofpig
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 - 02:34 AM UTC
A few more pics now painting has started.

The engine is in but the air filters need a little more painting( just placed on to show placement.

Now here is where I seek your opinions. As you can see from the following pic, I have 3 wheels to choose from. The left tyre is the kit skinny front ones, the middle the smaller chunky rear and the larger rear fat tyre. I am thinking of mounting the pair of the middle tyres as the front tyres, but maybe I aught to stick to the kit originals? What do you guys think?

Paul
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 02:21 AM UTC
I was in a rut, avoiding my workbench for a few weeks, because I didn't want to do the next build on my list (an HO scale apartment building that I had been picking at on and off for 6 years so far.) Long days at work and 3 kids at home, so by 9PM when "me time" started, I had been wiped out. The basement was too cold, etc...
So I'm jumping ahead to this one for a fresh take!
I pulled out the old kit-- I had taken the MPC tokens off the box, but never entered the contest to win a new 1984 Corvette!

The windows have a gross brown film on them-- should probably be scrubbed and disinfected. The kit contains Knight Rider-specific parts and stock Pontiac parts. I didn't find the actual steering wheel.

Having picked up this hobby from my dad, I have our combined spare parts collection to root through. Here are some gems I might use on this...

I did find a 1/25 pump shotgun from a police car kit.
I have to go back and look at some Rat Rod pictures again, to hone my vision of how this will look. Brown primer, how much chrome? I'm envisioning truck wheels-- which old kit will I steal them from?, beefy push-bar on the front, armor plates around the body.
I'm keyed up!
Randy and Littorio, I made a Mad Max/ post-apocalyptic police car back a few years ago too. I guess every modeler is inspired by those movies. It's at the bottom of a box in the garage, so no photos just yet.
Cheers!
-Sean.
Wolfsangel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 04:04 AM UTC
Hey Everybody,
First off, I like the work so far! Paul, I appreciate the thought you're putting into your build.
I'm thinking there's a market for either 1/35th scale cars, or 1/24th scale armament because that's usually the issue I have (not the only one).
Sean, the good thing is, if you rust out KITT, you can use the existing paint as a base!?
Here's my first victim:

I picked this kit up on a clearance sale many moons ago and, not being Mopar guy, didn't know what to do with it.

Now it's going to get "Maxxed". Armored wheel covers, window louvers/shutters, rocket pods in the the lights, etc. Plus an old Chimneyville driver.

As for the previous builds:
Littorio, the Armored Glass on the M2 shield is a cool touch.
I remember seeing Randy's Cop Car at the end of the EOD campaign because he parked it in front of a Doughnut Shop and I almost peed myself laughing (sometimes it doesn't take much).
Thanks,
Charlie
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 06:00 AM UTC
Some progress to show!
When I dug out my old AMT Ford semi for its wheels, I realized the wheelbase is VERY close to the Firebird's. Sooo, if it pleases the powers that be, I'm considering using the truck chassis. I'll have to tear it down a little, but it is by no means a new build.
Anyway, I began cutting up the car body...

It's coming together in my head. (It's actually fun to take a break from serious kits and build like a kid, sticking on whatever fits, you know?)
-Sean H.
HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 09:19 AM UTC
I originally enlisted in this campaign and then I ended up dropping out of it and gave away my scale car bits and pieces to another modeler. However........I'm doing a build blog here on Auto Modeler for the Aoshima Models 1/24 scale Mad Max 2 Interceptor 1973 XB GT Ford Falcon Coupe Kit.

I was wondering if it would be alright to use my build blog as an entry in this campaign as well? If not I totally understand. I just wanted to check. I'll leave it up to you Charlie and the other participants.

Thank you,
Randy
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 11:07 AM UTC
that would be perfect here

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 - 12:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

that would be perfect here

I agree! That car is essential to this campaign! It's why the rest of us are here. I'm so glad to see it in plastic!
-Sean H.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 02:30 AM UTC
I dug out that police car I mentioned earlier. I built this about 20 years ago, I guess. It might provide a little more inspiration for this group build (as if we needed more!). It was based on the MPC "Squad Rod" Nova police car kit-- my cousin thought I only built stock, so he dared me to build a custom, and this is how far I took it!
Cheers!
Sean H.

P.S.: (This 20-year-old build is NOT my group build entry, no worries-- just something for ideas.)
Wolfsangel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 03:42 AM UTC
Hey everybody,

Sean, That's a cool idea up-armoring a cop car with bazooka shields!

Randy, I agree with Ko and Sean. Perfect! Go for it (although I was looking forward to your VW)!

Good progress Paul! I appreciate the thought you and everyone else are putting in to the builds!
Charlie