Scale motorcycle modeling topics.
Heller 1/8 Kwak Z1
kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,179 posts
Auto Modeler: 647 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2015 - 06:40 PM UTC
Hi all I ordered 2 bikes off ebay yesterday, well amazingly one of them came today

of course the first thing I did was a sprue count (did it 3 times)

I must say I am quite dissapointed, it's not in the same league as the La Reale there are sink holes and seams all over the place (hope the honda is better. I tried to photo them but they dont really show up in the pics, still on with the show.

kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 09:13 PM UTC
Hi all well this kit is deffo going to be a challenge the frame is full of sink holes and seams also the tank and side panels are moulded in two halves have no locating pins and are warped to hell.
I have glued some tabs to one half and am hoping that the wont foul on anything when it comes to putting it on, and also that it will help with lining everything up, fingers crossed.

kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 11:18 PM UTC
Hi all well this is the most twisted piece of model I have ever worked on.

I was wondering if I would be able to get it ligned up at all
But after Hurculean efforts

there are no decals in this kit for the paint work, instead there are these handy moulded lines

Handy that is if you want to do it as the box art, not if you want something diffrent so I had so sand all those off.

now to try the marbeling

I am going to add at least one more colour to this so we will see how it turns out. No biggie if it dosnt work got plenty of oven cleaner.
kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 11:50 PM UTC
Hi all finished the marbeling, and I have to say I am quite happy with it, it needs a few coats of varnish to level it out and finish it off but for a first go at it I am happy, I can see me using this a lot

kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 12:02 AM UTC
Hi all here is tonight offering

there is quite a bit I don't like about this kit, but the separate fins I do like, get more detail this way.

kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 11:35 PM UTC
Hi all here is another update on this pig of a kit, it really is no where near the quality of the La Reale the chain is so warped I'm not even going to try to correct it the axles are not going to allow the wheels to rotate and even if they did it wouldnt last long, Why cant kit manufacturers get together and combine all the good thing they all do, then we would end up with fantastic kits.
I really hope the CB 750 K1  is not the same as this.

I decided gold might go quite well with this colour scheme

kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 - 07:37 PM UTC
Well after retrieving the bike from its unscheduled flight across the room (it must be fairly aerodynamic as no breakages just some unguleing) and searching, took me nearly half an hour to find the back of the rear caliper, and almost as long to get it back on, since it's all installed on the rear wheel. I've decided to cut the top length of the chain off as it was so warped I couldn't get the chain guard on, and with the guard in place no one will see the chain anyway. I'm having a bit of a chill out now, before I battle with this kit again. I am determined to win though, I will take no injured in this battle its win or die.
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Auto Modeler: 231 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 - 07:50 PM UTC
The three bikes re-released (There's a Laverda as well as the Honda & Kwak) are from very old moulds, so not surprising you're having problems. I've been trying for ages to get the Norton Commando, but as that hasn't been re-released I'll keep hoping to get an original - probably be in better condition!
kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 10:01 PM UTC
Hi all here is the battles progress so far

kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 12:07 AM UTC
Hi all nearing the end I think the kit has given in. dare I say i'm winning.

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 11:11 AM UTC
Coming along fine Ken. The marble effect is pretty cool. How exactly did you achieve this?
kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 06:24 PM UTC
It's a technique shown to me by DeeCee. First you spray your main colour and let that dry then you get a length of cling film and scrunch it up (you need to have this ready before you start if using automotive paints as they dry so quickly) I used enamels so not so important as they dry much slower, spray your second colour then before its dry dab it with the cling film rotating the cling all the time, once the effect is how you like it, allow it to dry then either add more colours as I did allowing it to dry between the coats coats, then varnish a couple of heavy coats flat back to level off then the final coat of varrnish. Easy peasy.
kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 11:42 PM UTC
Hi all well she's finished and no more incidents.

_GOTOTOP