Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Heller 1/8. Traction Avant
kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,179 posts
Auto Modeler: 647 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 09:57 PM UTC
Hi all a small update on this one, filled the little hollows on the body and did a bit more weathering of the seats.

kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 11:29 PM UTC
Hi all here is tonights update (sorry if you're getting bored of this but its a mahoosive project, I don't think I'm half way through it yet) although I have to say I'm really enjoying it, I'm already planning what I'm going to do with the next one.

kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 01:32 AM UTC
Hi all been adding some of the many wires and cables to the engine bay.

kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 11:48 PM UTC
Test fit of the doors.

the doors have working hinges and door handles (Yep they have working latches)
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 10:18 AM UTC
Hi Ken,

Your project looks great - nice work on the engine. I have to ask, at this scale are the parts warped at all, or are you generally getting a clean fit?
Keep up the great work -

Cheers
Nick
kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2015 - 04:04 AM UTC
I have heard and seen horror story's on this kit especially the engine, but I have to say everything has fitted like a glove (so far, touch wood) I will deffo be getting another (assuming I can find one) I already have plans for it and I'm not halfway through this one yet
kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 01:19 AM UTC
well I'm back from Bonnie Scotland and back at it.

kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 12:14 AM UTC
Hi all well started with some colour, you may notice not the colour I originally stated as I've given up on Citroen giving me the code (so now of course I will have to change the carpet colour)
anyhoo here is the start of the rusting (lots more work to be done on it, but I think its a good starting point)

kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 10:09 PM UTC
Hi all well after a disasterous reaction on the paintwork on this I've sorted it (will never be a great job but is ok as an old jalopy) did a bit more staining of the doors and the bodywork and added some rust effects to the black paintwork, still a long way to go on it but is starting to look better now.

kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 11:50 PM UTC
Hi all I was checking some of the pictures, one advantage of that is looking at pictures of things 2 and sometimes 3 times bigger than the actual thing you see faults you wouldnt see on the actual item, like for instance a lot of the flat areas of rust are, just that flat, no blistering and no reason to be rust coloured, so I,ve fixed that and dulled the doors and bodywork down and started blending panels and adding general grime (I must say I'm quite pleased with the results so far) if things carry on like this I think the finished thing will look quite realistic (of course having said that I will no probably go and ruin it)

does anyone know how to dull down and dirty the windows and windscreen? all tip welcome.
kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 01:04 AM UTC
Hi all well I'm sure you must be getting bored of this by now (I know you're all so polite you wont say so) so I'll take advantage of your good nature and continue the onslaught.

Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 04:53 AM UTC
Hi Ken -

well, I'm not bored - in fact, I find your mega scale project pretty interesting. Wow! that's a BIG model!

As for your question about adding some grime/dust to the windows, I use highly diluted "Life Color" Dust I or II.

This is an acrylic paint that sets up to be almost flat. I'm not sure if you use acrylics or other paints? If you don't use acrylics, experiment on something else first!

I brush this wash onto windows in several layers, with the thickness varying depending on my intent. For example only a bit dusty a light even wash, or heavily built up and even some paint dabbed on so you can't see through it at all, like along edges.

You can use masking tape to block off clean areas (where wiper blades have passed, or someone has cleared dust with a towel etc)

Interestingly, as this is an acrylic, once it sets up, you can hit corners or other places with an enamel wash for streaking and it won't bleed.

The acrylic wash might also be useful to help you blend the perimeter of your rusted areas with the adjacent white paint. I typically build armor - and always dust everything with this method - and, while there isn't usually much rust, I often have concentrated areas of chipping or focused rust - the wash does a very good job making all the colors "live" together harmoniously - and can tone back areas that could otherwise look like brush strokes or unnatural edges.

Or, not! clearly your moving right along and hope this is of some use!

Cheers
Nick
kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 12:06 PM UTC
Thanks very much for the tips (personally I can't get on with acrylics) but I will experiment on some scrap and see what I can come up with.
kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 11:52 PM UTC
hi all here is tonights update, I realise the windscreen needs work but its my first effort at doing glass.

does the bird poo look effective

kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 01:09 AM UTC
hi all here is yet another update

covkid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
Auto Modeler: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 10:32 PM UTC

Stunning work.
kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 - 09:31 PM UTC
Hi all here is another installment

kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 12:40 AM UTC
does anyone know where I can get some decent pics of the dash in these as I want to weather it and cant find any decent pics, here is what I have at the moment.

kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 10:32 PM UTC
Hi all well its that time of year again, as little aside from the model got the decs up today

I decided the technique I used on the dent in the tank of the Honda I would use it here aswell

seems like sacralige, the chrome on the radiator grill is so exquisite.

but would be out of place on this car,

and the rust devils been about again

kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2015 - 12:16 AM UTC
Hi all well you must be getting bored by now (I know I am)

kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 01:23 AM UTC
should anyone think this is nearing completion here is a shot of the spures left(I've removed the optional parts) so these all still need to be attatched.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 12:17 PM UTC
Looks amazing Ken.

Pigments can also be used for dusting up windows. Either on their own or to add tonal variaty to the paint.
kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 01:31 AM UTC
Hi guys weathered the wheels, not done much to the spare as I figure that wouldnt have much weathering

kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 12:58 AM UTC
Hi all here is tonights update

kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2015 - 12:52 AM UTC
Hi all well this is going on over be left for a while to let me cool off (I came sooooo close to throwing it against the wall) went to fit the wings and complete radiator as you saw I did in the last update and with those in place tried a fit of the bonnet (no chance 6 mill gap at the front, or back depending on where you want the gap) after several minuets of scratching my head I figured out what the problem was there was a gap all around the top of the firewall of about 2 mill, lift the front of the car a bit gap disappears and the bonnet fits perfect (I think the floor pan is bent) (I know the back part is but thought I would sort that when I finally glued it on) so lifted the front of the car glued the firewall to the body let it dry, released the body and the bottom of the firewall came away from where that was glued (too much stress I guess ) after a very fidely application of glue to that area, mahoosive amounts of taping to hold it there, let that dry undo the tape all fits perfect, just start applauding myself for sorting it and ping gap at the top again. How I stopped myself I don't know, but I didn't throw it, I don't want to come that close again so having a break for a little while.