_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Buick Battle Cruiser
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 01:19 AM UTC
Hello fellow model builders.

Time for a new project. This one is partially inspired by some comments posted on a thread of another project I was working on - this will be the construction of a Terminator/Mad Max, end of days etc. etc. etc. inspired "rebel vehicles"!

While it's never made clear how these rag-tag groups of freedom fighters manage to assemble the tools, weapons, technologies etc to fight off whoever they are fighting off, they do! This commonality is nice for a model builder like me to know, in that, while the vehicles and so on seem to be cobbled together, they conveniently include an interesting array of weapons, and often high horsepower engines...so, my story begins - the construction of the Buick Battle Cruiser!

Yes -- a 1966 Buick Riviera GS with the 425 dual quad, en route to conversion to an even more brutal machine! (sorry dad!) So far, the front end has received independent suspension with a differential, and leaf springs added in the rear, so this is four wheel drive.

Back to my thought on the logic of movie fantasy rebel cars...If these "heroes" are somehow able to assemble weapons and high horsepower engines, they must be bright enough to figure out how to do some trick suspension work too! or, at least the guys in my movie can!

As you look at the right side view, you can see the driveshaft - from the Riviera - it comes with CV joints and couplers....hmmm, well, it turns out many modern trucks do this too - including Toyota Tacomas and some Fords and Chevy's - to make them work right, you need carrier bearings:

So, along the way, I'll ad these so that super flexi-drive shaft get straightened out -

I added leaf springs to the rear end - rather than the factory mulit-link coil set up (ironic eh?? as my last projects involved making multi-link rear ends!!), in order to hold up more weight - yes, weapons in the back!

This all worked out reasonably well, in fact, almost miraculous, in that it sits level! - I went with repositioned, and braced/brackets for the leafs to sit on. Shocks still to come....

The front end was more of a head scratcher - the upper and lower control arms come from a couple of recent truck builds. The differential is resin, and the brass propeller shafts from something else....as I want to be able to "steer" the front wheels, I made some fake CV joint boots that allow some flex. Dual shocks are added to each side.

Although only dry fit, so far I've tried to keep the overall body form intact - it will get cut up from now on - weapons, protection etc to be added....

Thanks for checking it out -

Nick
justsendit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Auto Modeler: 64 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 01:34 AM UTC
Hey Nick! I love the title!!!

PS: I still don't know how you can crank out these fantastic builds so fast ... and with a job, no less! Whatever ... keep cobbling!

—mike
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 01:46 AM UTC
Loving this one so far, thanks for sharing so much detail in how you are achieving these fantastic builds Nick.

Keep 'em coming!

Cheers, D
Trisaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Auto Modeler: 41 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 05:56 AM UTC
Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 04:05 PM UTC
Very cool project.
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 12:04 AM UTC
Hi guys, thanks for checking it out and taking some time for a few comments.

Mike, well, as I think we've discussed.....the more stressful work is, the more productive the model building! what does that tell you?....

Hi Damian, thanks for commenting - glad you like it so far! I like to post the progress, as I suppose it keeps me honest - that is, at least, on some hypothetical level, it appears that under the right circumstances....ok? enough caveats? - the build could be plausible!

Hi Peter - well, you and Matt contributed to this idea - both of you seem to be big fans of the alternative futures world and have plenty of cook ideas! and this seems like a fun build! thanks for having a look!

Hi Jesper - thanks for dropping in on this. I'm looking forward to seeing where this one goes - if you have thoughts along the way - feel free to share them!

OK - on to the build - I worked on this a bit last night - on the chassis and suspension:

So, as I noted in my earlier post, I figure, if the "alternative future" - whenever it actually is meant to be, can apparently draw from whatever reasonable technology the author or model builder chooses....so, on the chassis, think blast protection, like that under an M-ATV MRAP....the shape of the hull helps to deflect blasts, as I'll add panels over the ribs, and it's easy to build!

Next - as long as all of this "was" coming together so well, I needed to slow it down, by breaking part of it...nice...

I noticed I forgot to add U-bolts connecting the leaf springs and axle - easy enough, I'll just add them...and snap the leaf spring pack in half, and knock off the axle truss...good job me! once that was rebuilt, I got around to adding dual shocks....good times.

As to the idea behind the project, while I really liked the first Mad Max movie, and the new one has spectacular effects, this build is not going in that direction. I want something else - more futuristic? something reflecting the rebels fighting off the totalitarian government? space/time travelers? whomever, like Terminator etc...faster, well armed, "conventional" vehicles...

So, I attached some images I found on line - not to show any one, but to illustrate design influence. We'll see if I get anywhere near these....

I don't know who any of these super talented artist are, or if a few of them are the same, but they can draw! (design) I'm not looking to make a parallel between, or to try to produce any one of these, but the general style is what I'm looking for.

A common weapons element in this genre is guns on the front fender - they look cool, and I'll no doubt add some - I do wonder about fixed arms on fenders....value???? so, yes, I'm adding others! think high caliber CROWS....

Thanks for checking it out.

Nick
matt
Staff MemberGroup Build Administrator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Auto Modeler: 160 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 12:17 AM UTC
We really need a Like button... ROTFLMAO.

Friggin Kool build!!!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 03:07 AM UTC
Nick, just so you know that there are quite a number of like-minded souls hereabouts, grab yourself a coffee (or something stronger), get comfortable, and have a read of this and this .
Once you've finished EOD I, move on to EOD II .

Cheers, D
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
Auto Modeler: 409 posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 - 04:35 AM UTC
"We really need a Like button... ROTFLMAO.
Friggin Kool build!!!"

I agree 100%
Following this one
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 - 09:28 AM UTC
Subscribed and following with great interest.

2002hummer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 812 posts
Auto Modeler: 108 posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 - 09:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Subscribed and following with great interest.

I second the motion
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 10:54 PM UTC
Hey fellow model builders - thanks for taking a look!

Matt, yes, I gave in to the pressure you and Peter were giving me!

Hi Damian, wow - thanks for the references - lots of stuff there to see! I guess in some ways, this futuristic genre is almost ideal for a model builder, as there aren't too many rules! only what you as a modeler feels like doing!

Richard - thanks! now, up to me to not screw it up!

KS-One - thanks and glad you like it so far - as you'll see below, parts are coming together -

Hi Darrell, thanks for checking it out!

As for the build, I made some progress over the weekend -

You'll see what appear to be genre-required fender mounted 20mm auto cannons, from a 1/25 or 1/24 scale Typhoon....maybe not all that useful or effective, but they do look cool!

Next, you'll see a few types of armor - regular thick metal over the fenders, and slat armor over the window, and "some sort of" reactive blocks - I say "some sort of" in that, as this is my ideal scenario, these "blocks" are not only reactive, but light weigh, and bullet proof!!

I finished both sides of the car over the weekend - this was much more slow going than I had guessed! OK - enough talk:

And there you have it - thanks for having a look!

Nick
Trisaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Auto Modeler: 41 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 11:29 PM UTC
Hahaha, that looks GREAT!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2016 - 03:14 AM UTC
Love it Nick. As you say, no rules, no rivet counters, just imagination and fun.

Sort of , if you haven't seen it, Google up the Avtoros Shaman. Now there is some subject matter suitable for our End Of Days scenario modifications.

Cheers, D
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2016 - 12:52 PM UTC
See Peter? Do you see what happens when you and Matt start planting crazy ideas all about? Crazy models get built!! I hope you're satisfied now!!! Haha!

Hi Damian - who in the heck is Avtoros Shaman?? An Eastern European monk??? Haha!! So, you're into the personal LAV eh? That's quite a rig! The personal 8x8!

As to the "rules" of the build - well, I follow one: does it demonstrate convincing realism? That is, if none of us really knew or thought any better, is the build visually credible??? I hope so!! Tonight I'm working on my "special" CROWS - we'll see...while pretty cool, the fixed fender weapons might, err, have limited value beyond their visual coolness! So, the CROWS will give this bad boy a bit more precision with its fire power!

I'll try and post in the morning -

Thanks for dropping in - model on!

Nick
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 12:39 AM UTC
Ok - a quick post today. you'll see the basics in place for the front window, and visor. Also, rough progress on the CROWS-like weapons system. The horizontal bar will be used to mount a pair of weapons - I'm going to lower it a bit more - - I want the barrels to be low profile - relative to the roof.

Please take a look:

OK - back to the real job!

thanks for checking it out

Nick
justsendit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Auto Modeler: 64 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 01:05 AM UTC
Sum of all gears! It just keeps getting meaner and meaner looking!!!

—mike
matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 01:07 AM UTC
Definitely interesting!!!! Might have to look at a couple of the cars in my stash at some point.... Oh wait I have plenty of other projects already started!!! lol
2002hummer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 02:49 AM UTC
Very interesting. I just might have to follow suit. have a couple in my small stash I could use. Now just need some ideas and inspiration
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2016 - 12:56 AM UTC
Hello -

I'm a bit pressed for time, so, will leave it at hello, and take a look:

Above, you'll see the kitbashed, remotely operated weapon system - lots of old stuff cobbled together!

The plan is to get is painted up this week - thanks for having a look

Nick
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 05:28 PM UTC
Stunning.
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 10:31 PM UTC
Hi Jesper, thanks!

This week I'm painting and weathering the model. Hopefully I'll have some pictures early next week.

Cheers
Nick
matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 12:36 AM UTC
Wicked looking!!! I'd definitely would not want to run into it on the road!!!
2002hummer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 02:51 AM UTC
Question. i realize you are using many items for you build. Are the rockets/guns on the side ball point pen refills. If so neat idea. Love th ebuild so far, can't wait to see it finished.
1967er
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 224 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 03:04 AM UTC
Wow, that's a great car!

I am really fascinated by your ideas and speed of your building process...

What did you use as Weapons (on your remote station)?

Are you taking part at Massive Voodoo Mad Max Car Contest with this Monster?

Cheers
Thomas
 _GOTOTOP