Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Airfix MGB Roadster
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Auto Modeler: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2019 - 09:12 AM UTC
Hi Joel

As I say, the Tamiya painting stand didn't really help much with my style of aircraft modelling, but I can see it's a hit with car modellers. And I do love gadgets, so it'll be fun to give it a second chance (I might even do a review).

That said, I seriously doubt that it'll replace the Mk.1 Wooden Clothes Peg in my tool kit - that, combined with Blu-Tak (or similar) and/or double-sided tape, is good for 99% of all the painting jobs I tackle. (Actually, perhaps it's a Mk.2 - it's the type with a spring. )

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2019 - 02:32 AM UTC
Rowan,
Just use your favorite stand method and get some color on that B. I'm starting to really weaken on buying a B and doing what I can to convert it to left hand drive as the dash is symmetrical, so I stand a chance at pulling it off.

Joel
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2019 - 08:16 AM UTC
Hi Joel

All being well, the stand should arrive tomorrow. While pottering around the workshop this afternoon I found a pot Humbrol gloss dark green that should pass for British Racing Green, along with a set of fine sanding/polishing pads, so I'll hope to start painting this weekend.

It'll be interesting to see how well modern gloss Humbrol works, because their old formula used to give brilliant results. I've found their matt and satin aircraft paints much thicker than in the old days, so I won't be surprised if the dark green is pretty gooey and needs a lot of thinning. No worries on that front, because I'll be spraying multiple coats anyway, sanding in between and thinning progressively more as I go.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2019 - 09:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel

All being well, the stand should arrive tomorrow. While pottering around the workshop this afternoon I found a pot Humbrol gloss dark green that should pass for British Racing Green, along with a set of fine sanding/polishing pads, so I'll hope to start painting this weekend.

It'll be interesting to see how well modern gloss Humbrol works, because their old formula used to give brilliant results. I've found their matt and satin aircraft paints much thicker than in the old days, so I won't be surprised if the dark green is pretty gooey and needs a lot of thinning. No worries on that front, because I'll be spraying multiple coats anyway, sanding in between and thinning progressively more as I go.

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,
I can't wait to see how the color coat turns out.

Joel
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2019 - 10:28 AM UTC
Hi Joel

It should be fun. I'm always up for a new modelling challenge - and a "showroom finish" shine is fresh territory for me. Plus, I've got all the chrome to do - but "I have a plan" for that, as the catchphrase goes (and, if it works, it'll be a life-saver on a vintage monster of a beast that I have in the reviews pipeline...)

All the best

Rowan
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2019 - 10:34 AM UTC
I'm looking forward to seeing your results here Rowan, the British Racing Green is such a classic, classy colour.

Where I live on the northern outskirts of Melbourne, close to the bush, there are frequently car clubs having there weekend family days or "runs", and they gather at one of several large parks nearby. Most weekends I take the kids for a look to see what classic metal is on display, and a few weeks back there were about 20 MGBs and Austin Healeys parked up. Magnificent!

Cheers, D
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2019 - 11:22 AM UTC
Hi Damian

Well, it could be that the Humbrol paint I happened to have on the shelf turns out to be hopeless! (but it looks a passable match on the lid - and there are a variety of BRGs...).

Assuming it's a half decent colour, I reckon the fun part of the challenge will be achieving a deep, passably "scale" shine. If I can do that, I'll be well chuffed and can look forward to my next build with a modicum more confidence...

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2019 - 12:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Damian

Well, it could be that the Humbrol paint I happened to have on the shelf turns out to be hopeless! (but it looks a passable match on the lid - and there are a variety of BRGs...).

Assuming it's a half decent colour, I reckon the fun part of the challenge will be achieving a deep, passably "scale" shine. If I can do that, I'll be well chuffed and can look forward to my next build with a modicum more confidence...

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,
So you're going to be looking for a better paint match for BRG?
Joel
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2019 - 09:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rowan,
Joel

Hi Joel

Well, if it's totally useless, yes. But the colour on the lid looks good - and there have been countless variations on BRG over the years, so it should be fine.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2019 - 02:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Rowan,
Joel

Hi Joel

Well, if it's totally useless, yes. But the colour on the lid looks good - and there have been countless variations on BRG over the years, so it should be fine.

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,
No truer words were ever spoken when it come the BRG.

Joel
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Auto Modeler: 231 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2019 - 04:21 AM UTC
I've always liked Humbrol 'Brunswick Green' for BRG.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2019 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've always liked Humbrol 'Brunswick Green' for BRG.

Hi Dave

That's good to know - it's exactly what I've got.

I've been doing a little bit of last-minute filling and re-shaping today where I spotted sink marks which I'd missed previously, so I should be good to throw some paint at the body shell tomorrow. Before that, I think I'd better test how well the windscreen fits (perhaps that should be "how badly"...), because there are two ugly locating holes - but it'll be quick to fill them with CA + talc if needs be.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2019 - 11:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...I think I'd better test how well the windscreen fits (perhaps that should be "how badly"...), because there are two ugly locating holes...

Hi again

Well, I do know how to tempt Fate, don't I! I really should have checked this earlier.

As feared, the windscreen doesn't fit well. But there's also a more serious problem - it's in the wrong place! The ends of its frame are on the doors, not the body!

So, I'll fill the locating holes to move the windscreen forward slightly. I'll also fill the slots in the doors for the quarter lights while I'm at it, because they probably won't fit well either (especially with the windscreen moved).

All the best

Rowan
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2019 - 12:34 AM UTC
Ummmmm . . . . . ouch!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2019 - 01:45 AM UTC
Rowan,
Moving the windshield forward is actually the correct placement for it. My windscreen did leak some as I needed to remove it whenever I ran a time trial at Bridgehampton race circuit to save weight and reduce the what was in effect a massive air flow blockage. On the bottom of the frame was a massive, and I mean massive rubber sealing gasket. The frame was mounted into the body right in front of the door.

When I bought my "B", I didn't have them install the regular mirrors as they don't come pre-installed for some reason, but rather had Talbot convex racing mirrors installed over the axles, which worked extremely well. The reason for that placement wasn't for looks, it was so I didn't have to turn my head more then a few inches to see either mirror and thus kept my eyes glued to the road when we held our little shall I say illegal road races, and having them away from the interior gave me a better view with no blind spot that I can remember.

Joel
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Auto Modeler: 231 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2019 - 02:17 AM UTC
The Airfix screen also appears to be too flat, but nothing you can do about that. If you google 'airfix mgb' and 'images', some look ok and some don't, what does appear to be common is that none of them fit against the quarter-lights. I seem to remember having to fit them at the same time and juggle them around to get the angles right.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2019 - 04:59 AM UTC
Hi Joel and Dave

Thanks for the info. Yes - looking at some of the builds out there, it's clear that the windscreen and quarterlights need a bit of persuasion to fit.

Anyway, I've filled the holes and slots, and a quick test-fit of the windscreen moved forward shows it's at least got a chance of lining up better.

Here's a shot of the kit sitting proudly on the Tamiya painting stand that arrived yesterday.

I've got to say it worked a treat while spraying another coat of primer. That revealed another bit of sanding which I'd forgotton to do , but I might manage to try some BRG tomorrow.

All the best

Rowan
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Auto Modeler: 116 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2019 - 07:50 AM UTC
Don't sweat the BRG colour. There are many and varied shades that are considered BRG.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2019 - 10:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't sweat the BRG colour. There are many and varied shades that are considered BRG.

Warren,
Excellent point. I still recall seeing some variations in all of MGs colors from '63 to '69.

Joel
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Auto Modeler: 555 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2019 - 08:16 PM UTC
So however did you spray a coat of primer and not get a drop on your new paint stand?

Looking good, are all of the Airfix 1/32 cars like this? I think I have at least 3 in the stash now.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2019 - 09:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So however did you spray a coat of primer and not get a drop on your new paint stand?

Looking good, are all of the Airfix 1/32 cars like this? I think I have at least 3 in the stash now.

Hi Mark

That shot was taken before spraying the next coat of primer. Don't worry - the stand has some paint on it now.

I remember building Airfix's Bond Bug and Porsche 917 back in the early '70s, and I thought they were great kits. But I must say the MGB is a bit of disappointment. Admittedly, a lot of the filling and sanding has been down to the age of the moulds, so it would be interesting to compare this re-release with an original '60s moulding. I reckon that would be a lot crisper.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 - 10:57 PM UTC
Hi again

A lick of green paint at last!

There's clearly still a lot of polishing and extra coats to do, but at least it's a start - and I like the colour. I should have added a drop of Rsutin's Driers, though, because the paint is still quite tacky despite sitting in the airing cupboard overnight. I'll know for the next coats, but I'll give this one a good few days to cure.

All the best

Rowan
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Auto Modeler: 495 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 - 11:12 PM UTC
Looks very nice Rowan!
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Auto Modeler: 555 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 - 12:18 AM UTC
Ah, a thing of beauty, it's finally starting to actually look like a car.

I watched a build review of the Airfix MGB and the reviewer had nothing nice to say about the grill, seems it was a bit of a disaster. What does your sample look like?
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 - 01:04 AM UTC
Rowan,
IMPRESSIVE FOR SURE

The color really looks quite good. You'll notice that as you as you rub and polish out the surface, the color will get a little duller and lighter, then darker as it polishes up. If you go with a clear Glosscoat, it will darken up even more.

Like I said before, I've seen dozens of B's in BRG, and the tone of BRG was all over the place.

Joel