The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Automodeler Group Build Themes
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2019 - 01:57 PM UTC
Damian, I am happy to go along with the broad theme. As long as we are getting builds on the go we will achieved the objective of a group build.

cheers
Michael
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 12:43 AM UTC
Michael,
Well said, as you've hit the "nail on the head" on what Group builds are really all about.

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 12:44 PM UTC
Over in the "Postman" thread there is a stirring towards an alternative theme for the Group Build to follow the Blue Oval.

From the list on Page 1 of this thread we have the following:

16. Best of British - UK Manufacturers showcase

Lets start a discussion around the scope of this as a theme and then we can make a decision and get a lead-up thread started.

As with the previous discussions, I would prefer to see a broad scope to make it as inviting and inclusive as possible, so I would include all British manufactured cars, trucks, motorcycles and agricultural machinery, including racing vehicles as some of the most iconic names are in there. I would probably include military vehicles, but only in ex-military use (civilian or emergency services).

Personally, I am happy to go with either of these options (Racing or British) as I have kits in the stash for both. I have a Shelby Cobra, an F1 Ferrari and an Indy Reynard for the Racing theme options, and for the Best of Brits I have the DB5 and I could even drag out a Matchbox 1/12 Vincent Black Shadow.

Michael (Cosimodo), I blame you for this

You dropped the Jag into the Postman thread

Over to you guys, discussion time

Cheers, D
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Auto Modeler: 192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 01:26 PM UTC
D, I can go either way as I have a couple of Jags and a Lotus Europa that will fit in the Best of British while for the Racing I have F1 (Ferrari, Lotus and Tyrrell) GT (Nissan, Merc, BMW, Jag, Porsche, Ferrari, Alfa Romeo) Rally (Lancia, Opal, Audi) Drag strip (Mustang-Blue Max) Indy car (Lola-Ford) and Moto GP (Ducati).
Probably missed a few off but you get the picture.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 - 03:16 AM UTC
D,
For now, how are you listing the British GB? As street only or street/race?
Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 - 03:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

D,
Joel

I would include racing types as I said, some of the real icons of the British Auto Industry are racing cars.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 - 04:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

D,
Joel

I would include racing types as I said, some of the real icons of the British Auto Industry are racing cars.

Cheers, D

D,
Thought so, but just wanted a clarification.

Joel
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 - 12:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael (Cosimodo), I blame you for this

You dropped the Jag into the Postman thread

Over to you guys, discussion time

Cheers, D

Cripes, who'd have guess a Jag could be so disruptive
But other than the Jag (and the WIP Citroen) everything else I have is a race car (including some British ones) so I would stick with the "Race" theme for the campaign to follow Blue Oval. Just way more options for me.

cheers
Michael
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Auto Modeler: 555 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 - 06:42 PM UTC
Well, I've got an Airfix 1/32 MGB and a 1/32 Astin Martin DB5 so I guess I'm good to go for a Best of Britain build.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 - 12:51 AM UTC
Mark,
Rowan had a build thread on the Airfix MGB, and wasn't very thrilled with the kit. I'd checkout his blog as far as it got to see what you're up against.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 - 12:53 AM UTC
Taking a look at my race car stash, the vast majority of kits are all models of cars designed in England. So for me the decision which to build will be a nerve racking affair as usual.

Joel
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Auto Modeler: 555 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 - 03:31 AM UTC
Joel, yes, I saw that thread. I contributed the note that my 1994(?) boxing of the MGB has the same misshapen grill that the 2004 boxing contained. Fortunately the thread showed that it was possible to repair it. I'm expecting no less from the DB5 either.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Auto Modeler: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 - 07:49 AM UTC
Hi all

I haven't given up on the Airfix MGB, but it's serving as a test-bed for paints at the moment! The radiator grill was easy to improve, but the general misshapenness is something I'll have to live with (the body and chassis are just cockeyed). Hopefully, earlier moulding won't suffer the same way.

I'll definitely be in for the British build. It looks like the perfect opportunity to tackle the Ebbro Lotus 49B (or Jim Clark's Lotus 49 if it reappears on the shelves in the UK in time).

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 - 09:17 AM UTC
Rowan,
I've also got the Ebbro Lotus 49 & 49B, plus Indy Cal decals for the Rob Walker privateer 49B entry driven by Jo Siffert. Maybe we can each do a different version, instead of my MGB idea.

Joel
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Auto Modeler: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 - 09:33 PM UTC
Hi Joel

Yes - I'll probably go for the Watkins Glen version using mostly the kit decals (adding aftermarket tobacco sponsor logos). My alternative choice might be Tamiya's Mini Cooper - I think I saw one on the shelves in my LHS not long ago...

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 - 01:05 AM UTC
Rowan,
I just love Minis. I almost bought a Mini Cooper Super S back in the late 60s. On a twisty road you could beat even a Porsche 911. Nothing could keep up with them.

I still can't make a decision one way or the other. I've got several Lotuses, and some William's F1 cars including the proper Gravity paints and all needed decals.

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 01:57 PM UTC
I was browsing HobbyLink Japan while sitting in my hotel room tonight in Houston TX.

When I saw this:

As a future consideration for a GB, Stars of TV and the Big Screen.

Everything from the Jeeps of the Rat Patrol to the Seven of the Prisoner to the Aston Martins, BMWs, even Mustang (one of the most famous continuity errors in movie history in Diamonds Are Forever) of James Bond, to the Monkee Mobile to the "Last of the V8 Interceptors" and everything else in between.

The list of candidates is almost too long to comprehend. All those 60s, 70s and 80s movies like Gumball Rally, Cannonball Run, Vanishing Point, etc. where the cars were as much the stars as the actors. Even the Clyde Torkel Chicken Pit Special from Stroker Ace.

TV shows like Miami Vice, Magnum PI, Starsky & Hutch, C.H.i.P.s, Knight Rider.

Heck, even cartoons/anime, Speed Buggy, the Mystery Machine, Speed Racer, Akira and of course the above Flintstone's Mobile.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 02:12 PM UTC
How could I have forgotten the Mustang and Charger in Bullitt? Or, Christine? Or, the General Lee (good luck finding one with a Confederate Flag these days)?

jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 02:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How could I have forgotten the Mustang and Charger in Bullitt? Or, Christine? Or, the General Lee (good luck finding one with a Confederate Flag these days)?

I picked up the MPC 1/25 scale "General Lee" a couple of years ago specifically for the decals, wheels, & push bumper; and even though the car on the box has been PC'd the Confederate Naval Jack is still on the decal sheet. I did use the Revell 1969 Dodge Charger RT for everything else. I should have the build finished soon, so I'll post pictures.

I'd be up for a TV/Movie Vehicle Group Build. Give me an excuse to build the "Movin' On" 1974 Kenworth W900.

Jim
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 08:40 PM UTC
A movie GB sounds good. I have a few movie/Tv kits. Bullit Mustang, Christine, Daisy Dukes Road runner, Nash Bridges 'Cuda and the Starsky and Hutch Torino.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 08:50 PM UTC
Excellent idea for a Group Build theme, I have added it to the list on the first page.

I'm going to stick my neck out and make an executive decision regarding the next Group Build. I would like to take advantage of the current momentum regarding new releases, new stash additions, and recent builds, and nominate the following as the follow-on to the Blue Oval:

12. Strip, Track and Trail - Drag strip, Race circuit or Rally track cars, bikes and trucks

This will run from April 1 to September 30 next year, and I will start a lead-up discussion thread shortly.

If anybody would like to put their hand up to take on the role as Group Build Leader please let me know, and remember that you will receive all of the support necessary from the team here if you are unsure of what is required. I would like to see the Group Leader role spread around between the active and new members here.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 - 02:01 AM UTC
D,
Your proposal is my whole small stash Race cars both open and closed that cover a multitude of different types of racing. So I'm in with multiple builds as that's basically all I model these days. So when do I sign up?

I also concur that having new blood as GB builder is the right course to follow. There's always help from us, and actually it can be quite a lot of fun.

Joel
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
Auto Modeler: 409 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 - 08:25 AM UTC
Great choice Damian!
I could build ether a Funny Car or a roundly roundly.
Plenty of time to decide.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 - 09:41 AM UTC
Oh, I think I might have a drag car somewhere in the stash for that one!

Jim
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 - 10:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I picked up the MPC 1/25 scale "General Lee" a couple of years ago specifically for the decals, wheels, & push bumper; and even though the car on the box has been PC'd the Confederate Naval Jack is still on the decal sheet. I did use the Revell 1969 Dodge Charger RT for everything else. I should have the build finished soon, so I'll post pictures.

I'd be up for a TV/Movie Vehicle Group Build. Give me an excuse to build the "Movin' On" 1974 Kenworth W900.

Jim

Good to know on the Duke's Charger. The Movin' On KW was one of the first builds that I remember my dad building. Unfortunately it was damaged beyond help in a move before he passed away last summer. I do have his Tamiya Challenger 1 now though.