The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Automodeler Group Build Themes
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 11:08 AM UTC
Ok folks. Thanks to Joel we have #20 Group Build Theme proposal on the list now

Dreams are Free! - Follow your dreams, build the car, bike or truck that you would love to have sitting in the garage!

Cheers, D
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 11:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok folks. Thanks to Joel we have #20 Group Build Theme proposal on the list now

Dreams are Free! - Follow your dreams, build the car, bike or truck that you would love to have sitting in the garage!

Cheers, D

I was just reading this on the Postman thread. Brilliant idea, Joel. Now, where from can I get a Fiat 850 kit?
Or I should keep my Jimny kit until then?

Gabriel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 11:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brilliant idea, Joel. Now, where from can I get a [i]Fiat 850[i] kit?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/arena-modelli-are202-24-fiat-abarth-850-tc-jaegermeister--1003743

Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 12:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Brilliant idea, Joel. Now, where from can I get a [i]Fiat 850[i] kit?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/arena-modelli-are202-24-fiat-abarth-850-tc-jaegermeister--1003743

For one moment, my heart skipped a beat!
The one in the kit seems to be a souped up Fiat 500

This is the one I am after... and the only one time I found it, it was diecast and out of stock:

Image credit Wikipedia

:(

Gabriel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 02:07 PM UTC
There seem to be a few diecast around in 1:18, but I found this one in 1:24

http://www.ezbustoys.com/124-scale-blue-whitebox-diecast-1964-fiat-850-super-model-p-3523.html

Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2020 - 01:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There seem to be a few diecast around in 1:18, but I found this one in 1:24

http://www.ezbustoys.com/124-scale-blue-whitebox-diecast-1964-fiat-850-super-model-p-3523.html

Yes, that's the one I knew of... I don't know if you have noticed: the stock is level 0, and the red sticker reads "sold out" And I still wait for a plastic kit of this one, although the manufacturers ignore most of the "people's" cars...

Gabriel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2020 - 02:14 AM UTC
Guys,

I'm really up for The Dreams are Free themed GB. Just think of just what categories could show up. If and when it does happen, I take the AutoModeler Pledge: AMD, and promise that none of the cars of my dreams, which there are a few, are Ferrari's. For what it's worth, is a car that I already owned, sold long ago, and now wish I had this classic once again, considered a dream car?

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2020 - 02:32 AM UTC
Gabriel,
Your wondering about a Fiat 850 model brought back some really fond memories, all the way back to my racing days from 1967-71. For the brief time that I was involved with SCCA racing as a pit crew member for a H production MG Sprite team, our main competition besides other Sprites and Midgets on the track came from a Fiat dealership that was campaigning a 850 Spider that Fiat was actually backing. One just wouldn't think that even the sports looking Spider was much of a race car, but I'm telling you that it could fly, and was the car to beat in the Northeast Region for quite a few years.

Here's just two of the Spiders that are still running in the SCCA Historic races:

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2020 - 02:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gabriel,
Your wondering about a Fiat 850 model brought back some really fond memories, all the way back to my racing days from 1967-71. For the brief time that I was involved with SCCA racing as a pit crew member for a H production MG Sprite team, our main competition besides other Sprites and Midgets on the track came from a Fiat dealership that was campaigning a 850 Spider that Fiat was actually backing. One just wouldn't think that even the sports looking Spider was much of a race car, but I'm telling you that it could fly, and was the car to beat in the Northeast Region for quite a few years.

Joel

Joel, being so closely involved in racing gives you an edge as a modeller as well, when comes about detail. I wish I had your experience!
I always lived with the impression that the American market Spyder had a 1300cc engine, not 850.
The series 850 my father owned, it was looking sporty, with 2 doors and red vinyl interior and it was quite maneuverable. The engine self wasn't a beast, but very reliable (discounting the electric system). Main problem was with overheating in long climbs, since not enough airflow was reaching the rear air intake. To solve this, my father sacrificed some frunk space and added a radiator without a fan and replaced the panel between the front lights with a grille. It still had the manual crank start for winter. He owned it since '68 to '98. When he sold it, it was still running but the rear panel, the wheel arches and the under the door frames were pretty much destroyed by rust. The interior it was as good as new, and all on it it was original equipment, safe for battery, the alternator and the above mentioned cooler.
I wish I could buy and restaurate one of these myself. They sell for reasonable prices on evil bay, but the rebuild costs and maintenance of such an old car it's just above my means

Gabriel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2020 - 01:56 AM UTC
Gabriel,
I just knew that you'd appreciate my post and pictures.

As another nearly useless side note, one of my two best buddies (always pays to have a spare ) bought a 850 used Spider in excellent condition. One thing that we noticed and couldn't fix ourselves, is the top of the front shock towers were just the stamped steel chassis. Well, give the shocks enough bumps and pot holes and the shocks started to push the top of the tower up till they cracked Not much could be done about that other then having it hammered back down and a steel plate wielded to the top of it.

As for the 850cc engine, the kings of H production were the MG Bug eye Sprites with their own 850 engines. You can see in the picture why they got the nickname of "Bugeye", and you couldn't have gotten a more bare to the bones car.

Checkout the size of the 850cc engine. Two of us use to lift it up and install it by hand, it's that small and light.

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2020 - 05:15 AM UTC
Superb pictures on the subject, Joel!

Yes, I always was in awe for what European and Japanese engineers can do with small three or four cylinders engines. My father's Fiat had 850, my Jimny has 1298, but the original JDM Kei car has 660, and Honda 600 has 600! Not to mention Renalt 5 and Citroen, even Skoda, which used to do excellent cars for their intended purpose, with engines under one liter.

The reason I thought the American Fiat Barchetta has 1300cc it is because in late 60s and early 70s, Fiat had three platforms: 500, 800 and 1300. From 1300 the Russians made Lada, that went unchanged for 30 years. They are backwards technologically, but they are unbelievable solid.

Gabriel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2020 - 10:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Checkout the size of the 850cc engine. Two of us use to lift it up and install it by hand, it's that small and light.

Joel

Seriously, after working on the big V8's that thing looks like a windscreen wiper motor!

Power-to-weight ratio always come to the fore. One of my favourite Bathurst videos is an in-car clip of a big V8 (Mustang I think) vs a Mini Cooper. Lap after lap the Mini flies past the V8 across the top through the twists and turns, only to see the V8 thunder past again down the straight. Awesome stuff to watch.

For a bit of nostalgia, 2019 Bathurst Touring Car Masters is full of Mustangs, Camaros, Falcons and Toranas.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2020 - 01:44 AM UTC
D,
What a great video. Just a little confused as to why the cars are late models and yet it's the 2019 race. The action is fantastic as always. Truth be told, the Aussie Super V8 series is in my top 2 series to watch as I can get every race on You Tube sooner or later. Those guys put even the Nascar Boys to shame when it comes to fender to fender racing.

As for Mount Panorama Bathurst race, it's beyond a regular track, I put it right up there with even Spa.

I posted a few times that last fall I once again after nearly 25 years started auto sim racing again. Have times changed. My main sim is RaceRoom Racing Experience, race mostly online as well as a club member in two leagues. Anyway, Bathurst is always a very special race. I just started to practice there in Ernest, and it's really two separate tracks. Going up and then the mountain is insane at speed, and then that super long back straight. Wow!! what a thrill.

As for the Copper Super Mini S 1275cc, nothing can beat them on the twisty parts. I had the chance to drive one and it's not like any other car ever made or raced.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2020 - 01:54 AM UTC
Gabriel,
Believe me, you know more about those imported car series then I do. My area of expertise is the MG, formally known as Morris Garage. Now there's a stupid car name, but leave it to the British to come up with some really strange names. The Midget was a Austin Healey Sprite in everything including every body style change at the same exact time, same interior, and same engines. I owned and loved my 1275 Midget, but it was no Super Cooper Mini S by any means. Not quite sure why I never did own one.

I'm quite sure that my fond memories have been raised to new heights over the years. I do remember that the heat was practically non-existent, leaked water when it rained just about everywhere, the wipers sucked when they bothered to work, and those twin Su carbs were a nightmare, like all the British two carb sport cars had to keep tuned.

The one Fiat I always loved and just recently saw a fully restored one was the 124 Spider. Way ahead of it's time for styling and comfort, but what killed it for me was the poor performance that every proper sports car had to have for yours truly to have owned own. I even thought a buying a Gordini but then came to my senses.

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2020 - 02:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

D,
What a great video. Just a little confused as to why the cars are late models and yet it's the 2019 race. The action is fantastic as always. Truth be told, the Aussie Super V8 series is in my top 2 series to watch as I can get every race on You Tube sooner or later. Those guys put even the Nascar Boys to shame when it comes to fender to fender racing.

As for Mount Panorama Bathurst race, it's beyond a regular track, I put it right up there with even Spa.

Joel, there are regular race series here with classic cars, that's why it is called the "Masters Series". It is a highlight race often as an opener for the current touring cars, but the boys are always serious!
The Mt Panorama track is legend. There is a great video of Darrell Waltrip doing a hot lap with Jason Bright and then describing the track.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2020 - 02:44 AM UTC
D,
Gotcha. Checking out the link with Waltrip right now.

Just watched that lap with Waltrip crying UNCLE time and time again.

Up the twisty part isn't to bad and I can handle it in my Porsche 911 R GT3 car, but coming down with one cork screw after another is even a frightening experience in a simulator. I use to think that the Laguna Seca Cork Screw separated the men from the boys, but once you've driven even in a sim Bathurst, Laguna Seca just never is the same.

There is a track deep in Germany that's a club/resort set of tracks, where no race series will race. It's called Blister Berg, and it's almost as bad ass. The only difference is that I truly hate that track as you can't see with so many blind corners. It's just one accident after another waiting to happen.

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - 11:06 AM UTC
With the "Blue Oval" coming to a close, and the "Strip, Track & Trail" firing up, it is time to firm up the plans for the next Group Build and create a focussed discussion thread.

The consensus at this stage seems to be a "Union Jack Tribute" theme, with vehicles designed and manufactured in any Commonwealth country.

I will give it a couple of days here for further input, then we can open it up.

Cheers, D
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - 11:15 AM UTC
Damian, out of interest, and maybe for our American friends, how will you define Commonwealth?

cheers
Michael
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - 11:35 AM UTC
With nearly all the F1 teams and many of the various sport car teams maintaining their manufacturing headquarters in England, I'm going to have a really hard time narrowing down my eventual build to just one or two models

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - 11:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Damian, out of interest, and maybe for our American friends, how will you define Commonwealth?

cheers
Michael

Excellent question and I'm sure this will be one of the main points of discussion. My initial thoughts are to just include the original members of the "British Commonwealth" being:
United Kingdom
Australia
New Zealand
Canada
South Africa
Irish Free State
Newfoundland

Alternatively we could go by the national flag, any country with the Union Jack as a part of their flag.

I suppose the "Designed and Manufactured" clause will really limit the member countries, only a few have a car industry that will comply.

Cheers, D
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - 01:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

With the "Blue Oval" coming to a close, and the "Strip, Track & Trail" firing up, it is time to firm up the plans for the next Group Build and create a focussed discussion thread.

The consensus at this stage seems to be a "Union Jack Tribute" theme, with vehicles designed and manufactured in any Commonwealth country.

I will give it a couple of days here for further input, then we can open it up.

Cheers, D

While I have a RR myself in the stash and I will participate without any doubt, I am afraid that the kit choices are a little narrow. There are a few Jaguars hard to find, some MGs hard to find and some outdated RR and Triumphs, also hard to find. Oddly enough, the valid options are probably coming from "outsiders" like Heller, or Revell rebadged Heller and Airfix.

Is the new Mini a British car anymore? Its engine screams in German, was styled in Italy and the badge development follows the American SUV trends... Like I said about my beloved Beetle: the New Beetle it's not a Beetle as it steered too far away from the original. It's a name usurper and a Marketing ploy I'm half joking, but you've got the idea...

Joel Williams and Lotus are based in UK, and you'll find plenty subjects for open wheels I guess.

Gabriel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - 01:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am afraid that the kit choices are a little narrow.

Excellent point Gabriel. This has been in my mind as well. I have been considering an expansion plan as a contingency.

We could combine this with part of the "Big 3" theme proposed by Andy (betheyn), and involve the neighbours across the channel, so in effect a "Union Jack and Tricolore" Group Build.

This would enable us to include Renault, Citroen, Peugeot for example.

Thoughts?

Cheers, D
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Auto Modeler: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - 01:53 PM UTC
Howdy Y'all
A model of the vehicle I would like sitting in my garage? There are no models of Honda Odyssy MiniVans that I know of.
I guess I'll just have to get Tamiya's Ford FX model instead.
Take care,
Don "Lakota"
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Auto Modeler: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - 02:00 PM UTC
Howdy Y'all
I just noticed the current proposal is for a British Commonwealth car and not the dream car. Very well, I'll have to research what is made in Canada for Ford, Chevy or Chrysler. Barring that, I'll look for a Rolls Royce. Bear with me, I'm a newbie to automobile models.
Take care,
Don "Lakota"
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - 02:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy Y'all
I just noticed the current proposal is for a British Commonwealth car and not the dream car. Very well, I'll have to research what is made in Canada for Ford, Chevy or Chrysler. Barring that, I'll look for a Rolls Royce. Bear with me, I'm a newbie to automobile models.
Take care,
Don "Lakota"

G'day Don. Don't sweat it mate, this is still 6 months away and we are still trying to fine-tune the guidelines. If there isn't enough interest in the "Commonwealth" or Commonwealth+France" themes, we can step back and take another direction.
Also, you need to consider the "Designed and Manufactured" rule, as the Ford, Chev and Chrysler made in Canada would have virtually all been US designs manufactured under licence.

Stay tuned mate, and keep the ideas coming in!

BTW, Aoshima have released a 1/24 Honda Odyssey

Cheers, D