_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars: Other Racing
For automotive racing topics not already covered.
Lotus Europa (Wing?) by Yodel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2020 - 02:38 PM UTC
UPDATE - model finished

I finished detailing the dash with some Tamiya Panel Liner Black on the main dials and Tamiya Clear Red on the secondary dials:

...just to find out after installation that the steering wheel doesn't fit properly and the dials are totally hidden

The tires aren't all that bad, but the rims are horrible. I did the best I could. The 2K saved the day - the fit is very tight and any other clear wouldn't resist under the pressure needed to fit the tires (they re intended to run into dirt for true):

Rolling chassis complete - that's all I've got from Yodel

The assembly is rock solid though, since even the front wheels are on aluminum pins and polycarbonate bushings:

The windows are molded as a single piece, from a weird softish plastic that was full of minor scratched and a couple of deep ones in my example:

Not sure if the picture shows the improvement, but there was some consistent one after sanding and polishing:

And, finally, a small gallery with the completed model:

There is still place for a few improvements and touch ups: a waxing and re-doing the side reflectors for instance - but the glue was still wet under the bumpers and I didn't want to ruin everything right at the end. I would probably do these cosmetic improvements before the plain air photo session.

Gabriel
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2020 - 04:23 PM UTC
Wow! That was fast, and as always, finish looks great!

Glad you’re back posting

Cheers
Nick
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 12:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow! That was fast, and as always, finish looks great!

Glad you’re back posting

Cheers
Nick

Thanks, Nick. Well, the model is a "toy" and comprises just a few parts. Yet it served well its purpose to testing new (to me) modelling products. Both the putty and 2K are keepers.

Gabriel
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Auto Modeler: 35 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 03:54 AM UTC
I only occasionally build car models (mostly ships, armour, and figures), so could you explain to me how you did your chrome? I've used Molotow Chrome but I realize it's only good for small parts or touch-ups on pre-chromed pieces - doesn't look good at all for bumpers, etc.
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I only occasionally build car models (mostly ships, armour, and figures), so could you explain to me how you did your chrome? I've used Molotow Chrome but I realize it's only good for small parts or touch-ups on pre-chromed pieces - doesn't look good at all for bumpers, etc.

Sure, no problem!
The metrod I use comprises 3 essential steps:
1. Priming - smooth application of primer - my all time favourites are Mr.Surfacer 1500 Gray and Black
2. Black Base - any black gloss enamel or lacquer - my all time favourites are Krylon enamel with Testor's lacquer as runner-up
3. Alclad II (or any other fine metallic lacquer or enamel) sprayed sparingly, more like dusted over with fine setting AB

I have achieved best results when steps 2 and 3 were competed in a single session; that way the metallic dust "sinks" into the still wet base coat, achieve superior bond and looks smoother.

Step 4 (optional): clear coating with Alclad Aqua Gloss, one wet coat.

Intermediate step 2/3 (optional) - an yet better finish but more time consuming takes a clear coat between the black base and the metallic paint, but it request one extra day, as the clear has to be well dry when applying metallics.

Here a few more examples using the recommended method:

Rust-oleum (tin can, not spray) enamel over black base + 2K

Rust-oleum (tin can, not spray) enamel over gloss black + 2K

Various Alclads and enamels over MS1500 black + Alclad Aqua Gloss:

Same as above:

Gabriel
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 07:21 AM UTC
Excellent work, my friend. Love those personal touches, which gives it...well more personality
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 09:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent work, my friend. Love those personal touches, which gives it...well more personality

Thank you, Jesper!
Well, in this case I had to gamble anything on the shell, since there is no interior to speak of and no undersides. I built on Lotus legacy (the famous green / yellow livery), but I also had a look at the JPS elegant livery. I've tried to meet the two somewhat in the middle. The red pinstripe was just a fluke

Gabriel
 _GOTOTOP