_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
First wood ship model: Bluenose
caanbash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,093 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 09:32 PM UTC
Hi all...

I have been building my first wood ship model for 2 months from a beginner kit of Artesania Latina. The ship is a Canadian fishing schooner with a sexy hull :-D

There may not be many people interested in such a model, but I just want to share my enjoyment. The model is still on my workbench, Most of the job is completed. Hull, deck, masts and spars, painting, varnishing... I plan to rig the model unti the end of weekend.

Here are some pictures:

A couple of things to say: This is a gift from a friend, and she could afford a beginner kit. That I thought, was fine for me, as this was going to be my first wood ship model. But things went the other way. I began criticizing every bit and piece supplied in the kit, and the model turned to a 65% scratchbuilt model :-) All the belaying pins, posts, some deck planking, rudder, deck fittings and the rear cabin and some that I can not remember now are scrarch...

So, advice to those who have experience with wood: Do not buy a beginner kit if you are planning to make your first wood ship model.

Hope you enjoy the pictures. I will send the fully rigged model with sails next week, I hope.

Keep on modelling :-)

Oh by the way, rigging and attaching the two anchors took 5 hours!!! What a good way to waste a good sunny sunday...

DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Auto Modeler: 231 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 09:39 PM UTC
Well done Cagin - I know how tricky it can be working on these kits. My first wooden ship was HMS Bounty - a three-masted brig. The rigging for each mast took about a week!
Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing it finished!
caanbash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 10:00 PM UTC
Dave,

I am planning to build a model of HMS Bounty from kit, and the only kit I can find here in Turkey is the kit of Constructo. Can it be the kit you used by chance? If so, how would you rate its quality? I would appreciate any comment if you built the kit of Constructo.

And thanks for the reply, the rigging would be easier than Bounty, as all the blocks are placed and only the work with the thread remains.

Have a nice day :-)

DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Auto Modeler: 231 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 10:27 PM UTC
The HMS Bounty that I made was from a magazine - I got the kit in weekly parts! It wasn't a carved hull, but seperate planks on frames - took me two years altogether.
It's 1/96 scale so nearly a metre long!
garrybeebe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 12:44 AM UTC
Well done Cagen, a beautful model! It looks so good that, Hey are you trying to start a mutiny with the plastic modelers here? LOL, congrats! wonderful job.

Cheers,

Garry
caanbash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 02:58 AM UTC
Thanks, Garry, for the nice comment about the model. Since there is only one forum about ships, I had to post it here, although I know this is not a warship...

Major_Goose
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 08:49 PM UTC
Thats a really nice ship , there, and scratching things to improve it is nothing bad !! u made a nice work.
caanbash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 10:51 PM UTC
Thanks Costas. The kit is a beginner kit, that is why I had to deal with a lot of scratch-building, I have no problems with that, I like scratch-building :-)

Regards.
Cagin.

erhntly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2004 - 02:10 AM UTC
Hi Çağın,
I forgotten in Türkorama forum, ı'm writing now :
Where are the sails ? ( Yelkensiz olurmu be abicim )

------------
new edit :
Oh sorry !!
You wroten in your first post....
caanbash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2004 - 02:31 AM UTC
Thanks, friends :-)

Erhan, it will have sails, I alredy stitched them and they are almost ready to be assembled. I have to say one thing about sailship modelling, though. Many people think that sails look unnatural on models, and that they block the sight of the wood and metal workmanship of the hull and the decks. I prefer to have them on some ships and not on some others. This ship is a ship with all the sails placed parallel to the length, thus they do not block anything. But, I agree that these sails are made of far too thick fabric. When you use thinner fabric, it becomes somewhat translucent which is quite undesirable. I will rig it and set the sails, I hope next week it will be finished.

Regards.
Cagin.

Augie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2004 - 07:26 AM UTC
You've done a wonderful job on a great Canadian subject! My hat's off to you!
The Bluenose is one of the greatest Canadian ships of all times and adorns the back of the Canadian dime.
 _GOTOTOP