AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 10:03 AM UTC

Well we are finally here. Many thanks to all of you (from VonCuda and myself) for your involvement so far, and after a very long and extremely entertaining lead up thread it's time for us all to put our Styrene (and blades and glue and paint) where our mouths are, and build some classic muscle cars !!

The Group Build Rules and Regs and Enlistment info can be found HERE .

Also, don't forget that there will be a prize at the end for the most inventive and entertaining sledge or insult, to be voted by the masses, but PLEASE keep the insults aimed at the manufacturers, not the modelers or their builds!

This will certainly to be the most colourful and entertaining Group Build in the history of modern civilization, so please make sure you post lots of comments and progress reports whenever you can. We are all here to enjoy the company and learn from each other (especially me, the classic gloss-paint-o-phobe !!).

So, without any further ado, I declare these Shenanigans open for business !!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 10:16 AM UTC
I'll get the ball rolling here with my two builds.

Firstly, for the side of the good and the righteous . .

Then, on the side of darkness and evil and bad stuff . . .

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
Auto Modeler: 62 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 11:22 AM UTC
Tonight I will be sanding the molding seems off my Corvette, and the rust off my Viper.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 11:41 AM UTC
Ok guys I'm in...what to build, well what ever it may be WILL blow you all away. I doubt you'll even see tail lights Will keep you posted shortly.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 12:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tonight I will be sanding the molding seems off my Corvette, and the rust off my Viper.

Once again the MOPAR camp manages to come up with a new concept, rusty plastic, nice one Carl !
redalb2253
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Auto Modeler: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 01:24 PM UTC
This might be fun and a change for me too.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 02:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This might be fun and a change for me too.

Hi Steve. You can be assured that this will be a LOT of fun. I just took a quick peek at your gallery, some ships and a couple of aircraft, all very nice work ! Where does your main modeling interest lie, and much more importantly are your feet in the Chev or the MOPAR Camp ?

Thanks for your interest, D.

Modelbouwerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 794 posts
Auto Modeler: 179 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 08:00 PM UTC
First finish off my OTR campaign by the truck department.
Then I'll start on my Chevy and that other thing.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 05:57 AM UTC
Hi guys the day of the great battle between good GM and evil Mopar is at hand i have already cracked open both kits to see what i will start with i will post a pic either later today or wensday, i will start with the 1960 Chevy truck there will be a few custom mods on this one than i will work my way over to the Challenger, good luck with all your builds.
Modelbouwerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 07:10 AM UTC
One stupid question.
We all start our own topic, don't we?
Are must we all post in this groupsbuild item?
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 08:31 AM UTC
Hi Erik. You can start your own Build Log thread if you wish, just make sure you drop in here to join in the "discussion" of good vs evil !!

Good luck with your builds, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers, D
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 11:48 AM UTC
Hi guys i am just going to run my build in this thread, i will start my build with the Chevy pickup, below in the first pic you can see the 2 kits i have chosen, in the second and third pics you see a side view shot of the before and after i sectioned the bed and cab about a scale 8 inches i think, i still have to chop the top and that is the hard part of the body mods any and all comments welcome.

Wolfsangel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 221 posts
Auto Modeler: 33 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 04:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Once again the MOPAR camp manages to come up with a new concept, rusty plastic, nice one Carl !

Ha HA HA HAHAHAHE...
Engineering so bad they can't even keep plastic from rusting!

Hey everybody, Here's what I'm starting with.
First, the good stuff

Then, the mechanically challenged

How far I'll get in the near future? probably what you see here. I'm debating the clean, street machine look or the post-apocalyptic "Car Wars" theme. Either way, this should be a nice looking gallery by the time everybody's finished considering the talent. I hope mine measure up.
Charlie
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 01:06 AM UTC
Well it's great to see you guys getting into the spirit already ! And yes, you can take that comment either way

After stripping the crap paint and chrome off the engine and disassembling it, I have cleaned up a few parts and begun the rebuild of this magnificent piece of mechanical genius, the CHEV 283.

First little fix, there's a gap between the manifold plate and the cylinder heads .

Now I know that this is a common issue with Hemi's, resulting in a lot of smoke and noise and parts flying out, but not so with the Chev, so I put some card stock shims (gaskets?) in place and sanded them to blend with the profile of the heads.

So I have officially started, and here's where I'm at tonight . .

I went to the stash to get the 'Cuda out for a look, but as I reached for it my knees started to buckle and I felt vaguely sick, so I backed slowly away and left it hidden.

Ciao for now, D
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I went to the stash to get the 'Cuda out for a look, but as I reached for it my knees started to buckle and I felt vaguely sick, so I backed slowly away and left it hidden.

Ciao for now, D

Just the simple fact that you have one in your stash leads me to believe we need a new leader.

The seams and rust came off very nicely. The Corvette has a nice coat of Torch Red (Ferarri Red seemed to be the closest match), and the Viper recieved a coat of Mica Blue to cover up the rust. They are both drying, so I haven't shot any pictures, or the Viper. But my wife has a medical appointment, so I am going to take her to it in style.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 08:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just the simple fact that you have one in your stash leads me to believe we need a new leader.

You're right Carl, I'm not sure why we added that rule, I quit !

Seriously, it's only in the stash because of the added rule, I stood outside the door of the LHS for an hour working up the courage to go inside and buy the thing, and I drove the 30 minutes home in pouring rain with the windows down trying to get rid of the Hemi smell from my car !!

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 10:52 AM UTC
I always thought the pennance was supposed to fit the sin. So that is hardly enough. I think the propper pennance would be to go down to the car rental place, rent one, and actually have to drive it for a week (with the windows down, of course.)
Wolfsangel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 221 posts
Auto Modeler: 33 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 04:53 PM UTC
Here Here! I second Judge Carls pennance!
You should rent one (with their insurance) and have to drive it for a week... with your name soaped on the doors. The windows will most likely be down anyway upon failure of the motors or electrical.
After the week is up you must do the world a favor and kill it with fire. It would be believable to the rental guys because they'll think its a normal occurrence, not deliberate.
Juror number 5
(Charlie)

PS Where's Hermon?
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 08:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

PS Where's Hermon?

I think Hermon fainted at the sheer magnificence of Carl's 'Vette. He will be recovering for a while then when he comes back he will see how many Chev's are being built and in all likelihood just collapse again.

Unfortunately Hermon has had to ramp up his work hours and hasn't been able to join us as much as we all would like, but have no doubt, when he comes back he will come back with a vengeance !!

@Rob, very nice cut'n'shut job on the Fleetside, a very promising start indeed !

Carry on chaps
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 01:59 AM UTC
Thanks Damian i will add an update in a day or 2, i just cut the roof off last night so now it will be a roadster to show off the interior and add to that low and lean look, i will start work on that other thing soon.
Modelbouwerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 07:10 AM UTC
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

My contri to the group build.

The Good

I've chosen for a special model.
From the creative shops of Callaway Cars, the Callaway Corvette Speedster.
Twin turbo, twin intercooled Chevy V-8, topspeed of 180 mph and 0-60 in 4.4 seconds.

Boxart:

What's in the box:

The Bad

Nobody of my friends wants to build it.
Real intelligent friends I have.
I understand, but they give the box to me.
Ok, because of this build I'm going to try and make something of it.
A Dodge Charger Daytona.

Boxart:

There's also something in the box:

The Ugly

That's me.
And no, no picture.

See you guy's soon.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 08:18 AM UTC
Hi Erik, and welcome aboard sir !!

Excellent choice with the 'Vette, a real powerhouse ! I apologise for making you even touch that other thing, but we do need to show tolerance and acceptance in today's society, so I'm afraid that they are here to stay.

Looking forward to your progress here. Cheers, D
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Auto Modeler: 268 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 08:32 AM UTC
I thought of a Mopar I'd model,

but in searching the internet someone already had.

Captain A, I can't believe how sunny and lush Indiana is this time of year!

I'm still lurking here-- you guys have cool builds going and the back and forth is hilarious. I wouldn't be joining for a few months, finances are ultra-tight now, but I realized this is a chance to just walk into the hobby shop and buy off the shelf-- there are so many cool options to build for this one! My armor builds have so far been very specific and required ordering and waiting, etc. (My personal cars are a Chrysler minivan and a Hyundai-- neither is much of a fine American muscle car.)
Keep it up, fellas.
-Sean.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 12:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

1-First little fix, there's a gap between the manifold plate and the cylinder heads .
2-knees started to buckle and I felt vaguely sick, so I backed slowly away and left it hidden.

Ciao for now, D

1)So it's just like the real thing...that's why they leak like sieves! Luckily there's no rods in there for you to throw either!
2)Oh man up and embrace the dark side....your trembling from the raw power sitting before you..something you bowtie folks aren't used to-huh?!

I knew I was forgetting a build somewhere, let me button up a semi truck for my campaign, an Hs-123 biplane since I couldn't get into that build, my Romulan Bop and I'm in like flint.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 01:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm still lurking here-- you guys have cool builds going and the back and forth is hilarious. I wouldn't be joining for a few months

Hiya Sean, welcome to the madhouse !! I love this stuff, the passion for the car just adds a whole new dimension to the Group Build, and with such a great bunch of guys (yes, even the Mopar fans) this is just going to get better and better. Perhaps somewhere along the way we might even finish a build or two, maybe

You've got 12 months, so no rush to get started, and I'm fairly certain we will see a return bout right after this one winds up anyway.

@ Bob (OD) - 'bout time you turned up mate. Usual excuse for lateness, couldn't start the car ??

Cheers, D
 _GOTOTOP