Scale truck modeling topics.
JimB - "Keep On Truckin'" GMC Astro/95
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 01:49 AM UTC
I got the KFS stacks from DMTW. Good luck getting them now. I don't know of anyone that imports KFS stuff into the US.

I'll definately keep posting updates. I should have the interior done tonight. Hmm, where have I heard that before! As far as the campaign goes, loos like there are only a couple of people that completed trucks. I've got the list someplace.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 05:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

(1)I got the KFS stacks from DMTW.
(2) Good luck getting them now.
(3) I don't know of anyone that imports KFS stuff into the US.

1- Rats -how'd I know you were gonna say that!
2-that's why{rats!}

3-same here.....double rats!!!

My wrecker is making a wreck of me lately{really}...had to redo that main boom frame again because the copy of the article is really blurry...that spec that looks like 2 1/8" wide for the boom frame top is really "2 3/8" wide{2 1/2" wouldn't hurt}. Got one of the booms done tonight too{the other needs outer braces still and it's done}. Need a cleaned up article of that with current gears that are available.
Refresh my memory, when is this shindig over?.....the dodge and the mack aren't gonna make this one, so I'll ride on my other three{hah...like I have a choice}.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 09:23 AM UTC
Officially the campaign ended September 1st. You might have noticed that I don't have anything there yet. My LN8000 is 98% done, so I'll submit that as my Campaign build. I've been working on it concurrently so it counts.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 08:32 AM UTC
I hear ya...I've been putting any time I've had into the wrecker...the dodge just needs rear side windows and the latches for the stake assembies. It's aesy enough to build the wrecker, but using different gears, that are a different diameter cause hassles with the articles specs for framework...I'm redoing the hoist frame again to clear the new{and better} gears I found....add all the lil fiddley things that need to be built{pulley blocks and the like} and this will take me till about december, at this rate.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 - 04:06 PM UTC
Show of hands...who finished but didn't post pics...if not, how close did ya get?
I don't see many trucks here...........!

...oh, and when can we get or campaign badges?
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Auto Modeler: 112 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 08:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Show of hands...who finished but didn't post pics...if not, how close did ya get?

This was how far I came, after this I get sidetracked with other projects and nice summer weather... Now the evenings getting longer this little truck will get more attention soon.

This also count for the other vehicle I was bulding; the Chevy stake truck. The big problem there was the front windshield I have to scratch... It's still in the workplace.

I guess I didn't pass the finnish line...

Paul
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 03:21 PM UTC
Not many of us passed the finishline. I'm going to do a final truck count, and have Matt pass out Campaign Ribbons this weekend.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 02:58 PM UTC
Paul, that looks great...what else does it need?
Oh, what scale was that...1/32?
carleton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 62 posts
Auto Modeler: 39 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 01:48 PM UTC
Hi guys
Shawn here,I fell out of a woderfull kenworth(t800) and broke my right leg and tore my mcl as well as a decent hip bruise.I have not touched glue nor paint till this past weekend.I did not finish and feel bad about it.Cast is off and life is getting better lol although physio sucks.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 01:36 AM UTC
Ouch! Shawn, that sucks. Glad to hear that you're on the mend, though.

I forgot what you were going to make? How close are you? Post pics whan you're done.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 05:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I fell out of a wonderfull kenworth(t800)

..now see, I heard that doesn't happen with the Macks.....

...just kidding, hope you heal soon. A neglected model is a horrible thing{actually I have afew horrible things sitting on the bench as we speak}
carleton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 06:04 PM UTC
hi Bob
nice real nice ,I would have to find a mack to fall out of first they are just about extinct up here.Working with a cast on sucked but its getting better slow but sure.Sad to say but I built the battle star galactica viper last weekend as the kenworth collected dust.Little hostility towards the kw maybe???.
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Auto Modeler: 112 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 08:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul, that looks great...what else does it need?
Oh, what scale was that...1/32?

Hi Bob,

It just needs some decals and licanceplates.
It's 1:32 indeed.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 04:56 AM UTC
Shawn...Sorry...it was there...I had too.
You too with the sci-fi?...I have the revell "republic star destroyer" sitting next to the "to be built" stack, but I should really grab the 1/72 revell u-boat and sci-fi that up while I still have the ideas in my head on how to do it. I'm building a revell{alot of revell lately!} 1/12 chopper right now for a local hobby show{due oct 12th}...stretching the cycle was easy, but scratching the hack{side car} is proving to a bigger job than I had origonaly thought{doesn't it always works out that way!}
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 04:57 AM UTC
Paul, thanks...due toss us some pics of it when she's done!
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 03:11 PM UTC
So, who remembers this one? Yes, it's been a LONG time; but I'm finally going to finish this one. This is actually the second truck I started when I got back into truck modeling, but I was intimidated by the paint scheme I picked. Not being one to change direction, it sat on the shelf waiting for me to find the courage to do a multi-color paint scheme. A friend of mine from another group agreed to paint the cab for me. Here is his handy work:

This is just a "mock-up", as neither the cab interior, nor the exterior chrome have been added yet; and one of the fuel tanks fell off today. I was hoping to finish this by the end of the year, but it's waited so long, I'll settle for the end of January 2010! Ironically I started this truck in January 2008.

Next step: fuel tank, interior, chrome, done!

Jim
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 03:19 PM UTC
WOW! Your friend does some fine work with the airbrush. Those stripes couldn't be more than 1mm. Was it actually taped and sprayed or are the small stripes actually decals?

Really nice.
Hermon
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 03:34 PM UTC
He works in a sign shop, so the small stripes are actually vinyl tape.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 03:01 AM UTC
That looks great..nice colors. Button her up this weekend and snap some pics for us!...or when ever you finish her.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 04:31 AM UTC
That's the plan! But I have a feeling that SWMBO might have other ideas.

Jim
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 06:01 AM UTC
Wow. Looks like a rolling Creamsicle! I absolutely dig the orange and white, and those stripes are just too sweet. Pretty fantastic job, I'd say. I also like the body color on the wheel centers and the exhaust stacks. I noticed the PE exhaust shields, but are the stacks themselves aluminum tubing, or...?

Don't feel too bad about your build timeline, Jim. I have projects sitting on my workbench from 2008...and 1998.

Happy New Year!

-YL
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 06:26 AM UTC
That paint job makes me want to try something. Saw an old article eons ago that showed this guy covering the side of his van with tape, he then proceeded to take a fresh #11 and cut out all the areas he wanted painted, then peeled off the non-needed parts. He burnished the edges and painted in thin coats to keep bleeding at bay...waited 15min as I recall and peeled the mask off to let the edges lay and dry nice. Turned out fine. I want to do some rounded or curved stripes on my Reo and may have to try this techinque.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 08:16 AM UTC
Yoni,
The colors are actually Pumpkin Orange & a very pale orange. Depending on the light, it does look white. Sometimes tan. I never thuoght of it as a Creamsicle (probably because I don't paricularly care for them, but the name does fit! Because of the changing color in different photographs, I call it my Chameleon Truck.

The stacks are from KFS and I highly recommend them. They're great. They come with a resin muffler, the metal shields & mounts, and the aluminum tubing for the stacks themselves. The ones on this truck are the plain ones, but you can get Peterbilt, Kenworth, Western Star, Volvo, Freightliner, Mack, and DAF (I think) if you want a more "custom" look. I'm using the Kenworth stacks on my W900 Aerodyne along with the photoetch emblems.

I've never tried them, but Melbourne Model Truck Accessories makes a PE stack kit as well. It looks like a work of art.

Jim
carleton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 01:40 PM UTC
great job Jim,the colours look awesome and those stacks are must have.I checked out the link and will be oredering some of those soon.Thanks for the link,and chamelon truck works.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 02:34 PM UTC
No problem, Shawn. Glad to help. Which stacks? The KFS or the ones from Melbourne Model Truck Accessories?

Jim