Scale motorcycle modeling topics.
1/12 Custom Chopper
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 06:09 PM UTC
Here’s a small project I started over the weekend. Its Revell’s 1/12th scale Motorcycle Chopper. I decided it needed to be raked so I had to cut the forks and extend them. I wanted a new rear fender and I penciled in a design and proceeded to cut away. The kit’s seat was to large and thick so I made a new seat pan and cover it in Poly-Clay. It (seat) was baked for 12mins., cooled and sanded. New Drag Bar handle bars were made and the belt was cut from the pulleys. They were sanded round and new face plates were added on.

Paint…first it was painted in Model Masters Metalizer aluminum plate, once dry it was buffed out followed by 3 coats of Tamiya X-25 Clear Green.

The engine, forks and such were all de-chromed. They will be finished in Alclad chrome and other shades.

Enjoy,
Joe

More progress pics seen here
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 06:17 PM UTC

That is just so flippin' cool, and I love the color. Looks great, Joe!

How did you make the intricate cuts on the rear fender?

-YL

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 10:56 PM UTC
Very cool work so far Joe. Love the color.
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 11:43 PM UTC
Nice build so far. Funny - i just watched two shows of OCC last night and woke up to this The green is cool. I bet it's 10times better in person.

Keep postin' this one's got 'legs'
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:42 AM UTC
Nice work so far Joe i like the pulley idea, I want to see what you use for the new belt and i like that green i wll be watching for the update on this one.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 01:40 AM UTC

Sweet ride, Joe! I like the colors. The forks are a mile long! AWESOME!

Long live the anti-OOB builders!

Cuhail
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 06:29 AM UTC
Thanks guys Yeah I was impressed with the color myself, no dust, link or hair found. No need to buff out either. I will clear coat it with future. My first choice was to use Tamiya’s clear orange.... the next one.

How did you make the intricate cuts on the rear fender?

@ Yoni…first I had to find center, then drawn on paper. I then cut out one side of the design drew it on, turned it over and drew it one. Now the hard part, I scored the pattern with the hobby knife over and over. Once I got close to half way I then just chunked out small pieces at a time. I’ll tell I was worried at first, if I had messed it up it was over. I would have had to scratch up a fender.

I want to see what you use for the new belt

@ Robert…the belt will be made from simple black electrical tape.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Auto Modeler: 359 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:09 AM UTC
Good gosh a'mighty Joe....Oooo....she's looking GOOD! The color is suhweet and the rear fendy is sharp. Really, very nice....VeRy NiCe! The more bikes I see, the more I'd like to build one!

Mike
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 05:26 PM UTC
Components dry fitted, nothing glued. Unfortunately I broke the handle bar oh well build a new one. I hope to have it finished this weekend.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:57 PM UTC
Looks awesome Joe.
Hisham
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 02:14 AM UTC
It looks beautiful!

I love that green color. Is it from a spray can or a special mix that you sprayed with an air brush?

Hisham

OOPS!!! my bad.. just noticed what you wrote in the first post. It certainly turned out great.
Hisham
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 02:21 AM UTC
Another question, if I may... how do you de-chrome parts? And what do you use to "re-chrome" them? Is there a special product for chrome plating?

Hisham
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 12:20 PM UTC
Joe, I'm working with that very same chassis and front fork assy...how much longer did you extend the fork tubes{was just shy of an inch between the bottom of the triple tree and the top of the fork tube....I now have 2" worth of straight there}.
Love the back fender!!! Next cycle I do gets a "full cover with alittle sweep"...old Indian style.
I took that same tank and "V" cut it, widened 1/4" and am making a speedo with chrome tank cover insert. I still have to plumb the clutch cable...when I figure out where it goes on the tranny{never owned a harley - oops}. I'm trying to scratch a tombstone tail light too.
Also, nice touch on opening up the top of the motor mount...I shouda done that!{next one I guess}.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 12:23 PM UTC
Oh, forgot to ask...did you jack the tank up on the frame - mount wise?... Or is it just not all the way down in the tabs?{don't look bad sittin that far up...}
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 07:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Another question, if I may... how do you de-chrome parts? And what do you use to "re-chrome" them? Is there a special product for chrome plating?

Hisham

Hisham, I use "castrol super clean"...soak the parts or trees{old/bad plating} for about ten minutes{maybe longer if needed} and it comes out clean. I've only had to lengthly soak only a few pieces ever...seems older plated kits take alittle longer and new rereleases the chrome falls off quickly. As far as rechroming, I like AlcladII laquer, but certain parts can be easily bare metal foiled with regular or bright chrome foil. "Regular chrome BMF" looks kinda like somewhat polished steel to me...my opinion.
...sorry joe, didn't mean to step on your toes, but I was up still...
Hisham
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 08:59 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply, Bob.

But what is "Castrol Super Clean"? I mean, what is it usually used for and where do you buy it, so I can look for an equivalent for it here in Egypt.

Thanks again
Hisham
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 06:02 AM UTC
Hello Hisham and Bob…

“How do you de-chrome parts? And what do you use to "re-chrome" them?”

Super Clean is a great product, but I used Simply Green. Both work the same. They can be found at any auto supply store. The both are a “Automotive Cleaner & Degreaser”. Not only will it strip chrome it’s also work to remove all paints. Just soak the parts for a day and wash and rinse.

“And what do you use to "re-chrome" them?”

Well I was going to use Alclad paints but I was unable to get my hands on some. So I went with “Model Masters Metalizer Stainless Steel”. You have to make sure the parts are sanded smooth before using metalizer paints or the scratches will show. I used a 1000 grit paper for my final sanding then a coat of future floor wax. I sprayed on the metalizer using a airbrush, let dry and buffed out with a soft t-shirt.

Bob I think I extended the fork about ¾ of an inch. It wasn’t all that much. As for the tank…I didn’t install all the way down onto the frame.

Your chopper is looking good itself, nice work on widening the tank and scratching the sidecar.

I just finished my chopper last night, I plan on posting pics later today.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 09:00 AM UTC
Well here it is. First for the airfilter I used an old bracelet my daughter had, I had to cut it in half. Then I just polished it.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 09:31 AM UTC
I like the electrical tape belt...I thought about making teeth on the pulleys...then laughed and made a center guard!
Nice bar end weights...occasionally harleys can vibrate...or so I've heard.
Where's you get the braided stainless line?!....I need some that size{had to do the rubber black rubber line look for lack of anything else to use}.

Oh, Joe - that rattle can paint I have has only one can with the price still on it...$5.50 for that one. Figure ballpark $16ish dollars for all the needed three. And, that triple change color spray is the only color combo they have...all the rest are single or two tone flips. Still nice paint for the money-

Speaking of money -- For all who read this thread...I've come to find out that the "RM Custom" cycle kits{revell germany} are the same kits as the regular US revell...except they cost more{shipping from germany}...try and find yourselves the regular revell kits and save alittle cash. Too late for some of us....
dbaumi60
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 35 posts
Auto Modeler: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 01:43 AM UTC
SUPER

Dirk
WindSword70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 08:08 AM UTC
Fantastic paint--really sets the bike off.
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 12:31 PM UTC
Great build. If you want MG could put an OD up for a general On Display feature.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
Auto Modeler: 64 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 05:04 AM UTC
Looks good Joe , paint job turn out really well .
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Auto Modeler: 231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 09:13 AM UTC
Looks good Joe. I have the "Aces Wild" kit that I bought for my daughter to try, and now she's leaving home without building it you and Terri have inspired me to build it myself.
I fancy a dirty, tatty 'rat' to put alongside the showroom Manx Norton that I have on my shelf.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 01:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I fancy a dirty, tatty 'rat' to put alongside the showroom Manx Norton that I have on my shelf.

...oh, so your going to build an old honda then?...........
 _GOTOTOP