new chopper on the block 1/12 scale
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Auto Modeler: 231 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 10:41 AM UTC
That red's going to look good Terri.

I've got as far as stripping ALL of the chrome off of mine, and working out a colour scheme.

Black engine etc with silver details, orange/red paintwork with the kit stripes for the tank and mudguards and a couple of 'skull' badges from my sons old 'warhammer' kits. I don't own an airbrush so metallics colours are out! All 'chrome' parts with be painted in 'liquid plate' silver.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
Auto Modeler: 64 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 03:32 PM UTC
Sounds like you have a good plan on your colours , more then what I have , Still thinking about my .

Here are some pic's before my camrea thought it would be a good time for the power cells to run out juice !

Before I go any further with this things need to dry up more . the red is still tacky in some places , man I hate oils !
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 02:46 AM UTC
New power cells are in the camrea , work has continued with the build and almost done with the wiring and lines of such . Pic's will be up later today .
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 02:21 AM UTC
Heres a few pic s of some of the detail .

Not much more that has to be done . Should have this one wrapped up in a few more days

ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Auto Modeler: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 08:08 AM UTC
Hey Terri, How did you fill the seams on the engine block, and what did you use for filler? I've got one of the choppers in my stash that I started soem time back, but got annoyed with the seams on the engine. I really would like to start back on the kit again....
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 01:33 PM UTC
Hey Penny , glad to see you here . It was very frustrating filling them . I de-chromed the parts first then test fitted them ,did some sanding to get this nice and flat . Glued the two halves together and used liquid paper to fill the seems . Sands really well and takes paint great ! From what I have seen in photos of the motor , to many things need to be re-work on it .

Not a big fan on Revell kits , but they are good for a quick build and do have nice detail .
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 02:02 PM UTC
Nice work on the motor Teri i really like the details you added, after seeing yours and Joe's i may have to start mine.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 05:11 PM UTC
Thanks Robert !

Feels like the chopper bug has began his work !

That would be great if you started your build on one . I'm thinking about doing another one when this one is finished or one of those racing bike things .
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 09:51 AM UTC
Thanks Terri. What did you use to de-chrome the parts? I'm gonna have to pull mine out of the stash closet and take another look at it.

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 10:28 AM UTC
Hey Penny , I used oven cleaner ( easy off ) place the parts in the sink and spray both sides . .......wait 20 minutes and wash it off srubbing with an old tooth brush will get into all the nooks and crannies . Just work in a well vented place when doing this for the fumes are bad . Also works well as a paint remover . Oh yah ! wear rubber gloves !
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 07:29 AM UTC
I've used oven cleaner, and brake fluid before for stripping paint, but wasn't sure if it would take off the chrome plate. Thanks Terri..
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 08:51 AM UTC
No trouble at all Penny , when are back it with this kit post some pic's . Would love to see your build !

For three days I have been trying to post pic's of my progress on this build , but having problems every time I try and excess the site . Keeps telling me a broken link and when I finally do get on can't go any where with out a broken link . The Gallery still seems to be down so can't post pic's . The only thing I have left to do is the airclear and some touch ups with paint . So for now I do have to get on with my 190 build and get it finished .
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 06:22 AM UTC
Okay I have some pic's here , finally learned how to use photobucket and before I lose the link for this site ............Here they are

I still have to add the glass for the head light and still trying to come up with something for the aircleaner .
Blaze24
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 11:12 AM UTC
looks very good. I would like to have a chopper one day but i guess i should learn to ride one first huh?
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Auto Modeler: 359 posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 - 12:45 PM UTC
Ooooooo!!! Braided wire......mmmmmmmmmm.

Looking good....damn good.

Mike
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 04:31 AM UTC
Thanks Chris and Mike !
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 03:09 PM UTC
Hey..how'd I miss that this afternoon..nice work. Is that candy red over the chrome or is it just my eyes{I need bifocals...really, so I'm not discounting my eyes being the culprit}.
The rear axle...why white?
I like the fork tubes...hahaha...but in real life that would be a big NoNo cause the 1st time that fork slid, there would go the paint...but it looks nice mono colored.
I bought the 1/12 IMEX US Army Harley FLH today and she's got a shovelhead...I'll need to civilianize this one alot, but that's my next build-
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 06:02 AM UTC
Thanks Dave , the forks I spray polished alum with about 4 coats of tamiya clear red . Haven't done any more work on it yet still working on a FW 190 . I will get it done but I need to finish up other projects frist .
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 02:55 PM UTC
Thanks for the heads up on the paint...it looks nice that way.
Hey, toss up a link for the FW190...though my fave has aways been the Ta152.

-Bob
 _GOTOTOP