Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
'66 Chevelle Station Wagon by Revell 1/25
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 10:13 AM UTC
Future is the shizzay !

Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 06:36 PM UTC

Hey, thanks for posting that link, Damien. It saved me from going through another 2 boxes of old magazines!

-YL
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 10:59 PM UTC
Hi Yoni,

Quoted Text

Hey, thanks for posting that link, Damien. It saved me from going through another 2 boxes of old magazines!

-YL

No probs, but I'm sure you'll go through the mags anyway, and most likely find something else you had completely forgotten. I'm a sucker for a pile of old mags, it's great but it takes time away from the bench

Cheers, D
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 07:39 AM UTC

AWESOME looking, man! Truely!

I, too, marvelled at the dash shots, and I copy/pasted the picture's address fully prepared to ask you how you got the instument panel so sharp....glad I read on! Decals! IN the kit!?! Classic! Maybe a layer of Future over it to simulate the glass cover?
I do wish the 76 Caprice came with this feature. Molded-in dash detail is no-ones friend!

Looking good, man!
Cuhail
Steve1479
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 164 posts
Auto Modeler: 32 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 09:38 AM UTC
Revell / Testors has a special glue out for fixing in windows (it dries clear so you can't see it) anyways, I mix this with 2 parts of water and put it over anything. It acts like a clear coat will bring a gloss shine to anything. Try it out =]
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 11:51 AM UTC
Good advice guys, thanks for looking in again. Steve, I'll look for it next time in the LHS

After I sprayed primer on the pipes, I realised that I forgot to drill them out. Then did it

Chassis part painted. Looks like a mechano skeleto

This is what I did with the wheels. I wanted the powder coat look for a meaner look. Flat dark gray (Grimy Black by Floquil) was sable brushed right over the kit stock chrome

Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 12:24 PM UTC
Nice looking wheels! I pilfered the rims and tires from the '66 Chevelle wagon kit for a '65 Chevy pickup I'm working on, and I gave them the same treatment. I masked the wheel rim and center cap with some Micro Mask, and sprayed on the MM Euro Gray over the chrome. Maybe the next time I do this I'll try some brush painting. Yours turned out very well, and you didn't have to peel any mask!

I have to admit, you have a really good eye for unusual color schemes. The light/dark frame looks positively wicked!

-YL
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 01:10 PM UTC
right on right on. Thanks

yeah, the wheels, I was going to mask and spray as well but wanted to avoid the extra steps

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 04:57 PM UTC
Dude, totally not trying to butt in on your thread....but I have a suggestion. Painting over the chrome wheels is cool, I do it all the time. However, if you so much as breath on it, it will eventually start coming off. My remedy for this is to coat the painted part, or the whole wheel even with Future. You can always go back and flat coat the painted part again. Basically you'll end up with what you have right now but it'll be protected and not flake off.

Hermon
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 11:09 PM UTC
The wheels look great.

Wish all kits had decals for the dash
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 08:15 AM UTC
Not at all, VonCuda, That's what public build threads are for, suggestions, crits, comments, advice...
I know what you mean. I touched it just to move it and it came off. Might try your tech on that

those decals Yes, would be nice. I should have said, "yeah, I painted that by hand and used individual transfers for the numbers and letters

Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 09:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not at all, VonCuda, That's what public build threads are for, suggestions, crits, comments, advice...
I know what you mean. I touched it just to move it and it came off. Might try your tech on that

Wow. Personally, I've never had an issue with painting enamels or lacquers directly over clean chrome, without clear coating. The operative word here is clean. Wheels, valve covers, oil pans, bumpers - I've painted them all and I don't recall ever having the paint flake or peel off on it's own. If you handle painted chrome parts enough, the paint will rub off, but rubbing off and flaking off are two different things.

Remember the '71 Duster build from late 2008?

I painted those wheels with Model Master Euro I Gray enamel, straight out of the can, over freshly washed and masked chrome. Over a year later, the wheels still look exactly the same with no chipping, flaking or peeling evident. And I obviously handled them to put the tires on and mount them on the model, to say nothing of the weeks they spent being knocked around the workbench.

KSO - I'm really surprised the Floquil flaked off on your wheels, as lacquers are particularly good for painting over chrome. The hotter solvent in lacquers gives it a nice bite. That's just weird.

Hermon - I'm not quite sure if I understand. Do you put Future on the chrome part first and them paint over it? Or do you apply Future over the painted areas? Or both?

Didn't mean to turn this into a long-winded off-topic thing. I am curious about it, though.

-YL
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 12:10 PM UTC
Yoni, I paint the part first. After it's dry I put a coat of Future over the painted area. Useing enamel may be different. I was refering to painting over chrome with acrylic paints. Everytime I've ever painted over fresh, clean chrome with acrylic (flat black) paint I've always had problems with the paint coming off. Maybe I'm just strange.

Either way, I can't see any reason not to put a coat of Future over anything.....it may not help but I've never run into any situation where it has hurt either. My 2 cents.

Hermon
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 01:23 PM UTC
Yoni_Lev, it was more the rubbed off not flake off. I've since handle them by holding the tires

The centers of the rotor decals need to be cut out before application

This is what it looks like so far. Getting close to completion

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 04:01 PM UTC
Dude, you're almost finished with your demolition derby car and you didn't even sign up yet.

Hermon
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 04:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dude, you're almost finished with your demolition derby car and you didn't even sign up yet.

Hermon

Hermon, the last bloke who said that about a Chev is buried under my compost heap pushing up tomatoes.

KSO, super job, don't pay any attention to him !!

D
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 04:07 PM UTC
haha, yeah funny, very funny

Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 07:15 PM UTC

KSO - That is looking sweet! I would have never thought a '66 Chevelle would look good painted like that - monochrome flat - but I really dig it. On my comp the color looks tan, or maybe a light olive drab...is that correct? The green wing windows are too cool, and they look really nice in place. BTW, apologies for hijacking your thread over the chrome-painting thing.

Hermon - No worries. The flaking issue makes total sense when you're talking about acrylics. I'll keep the Future trick in the old toolbox for reference. Thanks for sharing the tip.

-YL
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 08:10 AM UTC
Thanks. It's tan, bluer tan than a yellow tan. And no apologies necessary, that was very informative

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 03:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hermon - No worries. The flaking issue makes total sense when you're talking about acrylics. I'll keep the Future trick in the old toolbox for reference. Thanks for sharing the tip.

-YL

No problem Yoni
Speaking of Future and toolboxes....I need to make a trip out this weekend and pick up another bottle.

KSO, I can see where you were going with the green tinted windows now. Man, it looks great as it is but if you'd pulled off the green tint on all the windows it would have been really cool.

Hermon
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 04:22 PM UTC
I agree. I'll try it again next time

patncori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Auto Modeler: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 04:58 AM UTC
she sure is getting there...looking MEAN...
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 01:16 PM UTC
cool thanks!

here it is

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 01:39 PM UTC
Totally cool!

It's like........the USMC new urban patrol vehicle. Cause dat's how we roll b***h.

Just kiddin' man. Really cool. Love the stance, the wheels and the quarter windows. I grew up in the 80's man, so I can honestly say this is how a car should be. No chrome anywhere except the wheels.

Hermon
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 03:48 PM UTC
I love it KSO, that's one ANGRY lookin' wagon.

Super job.

Cheers, D