Scale truck modeling topics.
OTR build 2 - O.D.s Mack H-67
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 04:08 PM UTC
Here's my next entry, a Mack H-67 single drive.
I'll be painting this one in Roadway livery for that period.
Here's the basic frame cut to size from a Mack R-685st donar kit. The single rear axle looks to be a single hendrickson from the ford straight boxvan kit.

Here's my choice of wheels for this build
1- stock R-685 kit wheels{6 spoke front and 5 spoke rears}{old kit!}
2- alcoa 5 holes
3- budd 6 holes

The R-685 kit wheels are nice{fronts} but the backs aren't the usual Mack 6 spoke....hmmmm.
I'm leaning towards the budd 6 holes...don't know why...just because. Any thoughts or input here which looks good for this cab?
casper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 395 posts
Auto Modeler: 107 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 05:13 PM UTC
Bob,
I'll be awkward and suggest 2-slot budds .
Reckon they look good on short wheelbase COE's.

Roger.
animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Auto Modeler: 217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 10:25 AM UTC
I would go with the mack style .
Modelbouwerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 794 posts
Auto Modeler: 179 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

2- alcoa 5 holes

My choice.

Erikssson.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 01:01 PM UTC
Dude, Alcoas' and trucks go together like cornbread and buttermilk. For you Yankees it means Alcoa wheels make everything look better.

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 02:18 PM UTC
I see a trend here...Alcoas it is. One of these days I need to get a set of two holes just in case....
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2010 - 03:47 PM UTC
Actually Bob, in all seriousness, the stock Macks would look good. Wearing the Roadway markings would the wheels be blue, orange, or black?

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 03:02 AM UTC
9 out of 10 macks I've seen{and there's about 12 of them} are shown wearing the 6 spokes but I've seen a pic of one wearing 5 hole alcoas and anopther wearing budds...buyer's call back then. I do have a set of 2 holes but they're in dire need of fixing from a bad cast{& old mold}....I can see why I hid them.
My frame is getting closer after many tweeks and retweeks for cab fit...trying to get the radiator to fit under the cab right now and center up the front wheels and rear cab mount.
I'll try and toss some pics up later....
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 11:53 AM UTC
The gas tank was modded for center fill and installed, battery trays added and frame primed today...this will be a curbside of sorts since I can't install a radiator without making the nose paper thin to accomodate the radiator{rats!} so it'll be close to complete. I went with the turbo set up but need to file the interior plate to make sure it all fits{ah, resin cab kits!}
Oh a totally plus note, while I was looking for the trailer to be ahcked{ebay item} I found my spare mack 6 spoke rear wheels I knew I had{and why were they in the trailer baox...I don't know!}...so I will be running this truck with a full set of mack 6 spokes after all...cool! Just tossed the rear rims in the stripping drink to remove the chrome. I'll toss some pics up later tonight...the mother in law just arrived for a visit...I saw the broom out by the back door...
animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 12:10 PM UTC
Glad you found the wheels. Can't wait to see some in-progress pics.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 02:31 PM UTC
Got some issues with the camera lighting sellection and actual color...but, you can still see the orange model truck{just not so orange even after editting}.
-Here's the cab on the semi finished chassis ready for fitting of the front cab mount.

-Got the base orange paint on her and the red engine is shown in place.

The chassis is nearly done. I still have to route the exhaust and intake lines as well as the filter and lube refiner, but she's getting there. Wondering if I could install an air tank for an air starter{did macks have those?}.
Please note the new 6 spoke wheels in place of the 1st pics alcoas.
casper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 03:05 PM UTC
Hi Bob,

Quoted Text

Wondering if I could install an air tank for an air starter{did macks have those?}.

Macks are infamous for that unique sound of the air-start (love that sound ), just checked my H-Series brochures and yep all the H's had the air-stater as an optional accessory.
On the camera issue - does your camera have lighting mode, i.e. incad/fluro/halo etc - just looks like it's on the wrong setting. HTH.

Roger.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 04:13 PM UTC
Looks nice, Bob. I like what you've done so far. Those H-Series sure were funny looking!

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 11:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Bob,
On the camera issue - does your camera have lighting mode, i.e. incad/fluro/halo etc - just looks like it's on the wrong setting. HTH. Roger.

Red and Orange is a problem lately...must be the bulbs, the back ground color or both...need to experiment!
The white balance hjas been set at all lighting aspects and still the same result of pinkish reds or redish oranges...kinda frustrating!
Got any pics of the macks air starters? I have a verticle tank that could be used for that...or could make something else...
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 11:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks nice, Bob. I like what you've done so far. Those H-Series sure were funny looking! Jim

Thanks you sir...she's half way there. I'll start the interior and outer cab details tomorrow.
animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 02:17 AM UTC
Looking good. I am glad you found the rear wheels for this one. This is going to be one sweet truck when you finish it. Bravo.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 12:50 PM UTC
Yep, love those wheels and the color as well. I'm gonna have to jump into a resin kit one of these days.

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 02:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yep, love those wheels and the color as well. I'm gonna have to jump into a resin kit one of these days.

Hermon

It's not so bad really, once you get rid of the "this assembles per instructions" mind set. You have to rethink how the cab fits over the suspension and on the frame, adapt, fit, refit and finish it. If you ever get one yell and I'll guide you how to go about it.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 12:24 PM UTC
I think I got it now...the camera gets weird with red and orange for some reason. I changed the lights and tried all 5 white balance settings and got the same thing...better!
Note the background paper hasn't changed{really}...it's blue again instead of grey.

I was closer too.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 02:55 AM UTC
Awh crud!!! I was looking for the tractor trailer pic and found in my haste that the frame was supposed to be blue!
I should have had my reference photos out where I needed them.....where's the masking tape?......

I also had to remove the turbo, most of the intake and the valve covers so the interior floor doesn't hit the motor...I was going to try and carve out the interior plate to clear the motor but the hump in the plate is too narrow...the joys of resin cab conversions.....
casper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 04:11 AM UTC
Hi Bob,
Sorry - I should have warned you earlier that Mack COE's use a different turbo routing system than conventional's. The turbos were mounted at the rear of the block as per the modern MR-Series (I've got some pic's somewhere). Also from memory they also used a different sump pan so the engine sat lower in the frame (I'll have to check my parts manuals to confirm this). Of course you could ditch that cab and use an H-63 (Cherrypicker) and those problems wouldn't have been an issue .
Once again sorry for not picking up on that sooner.
How thick are the cab walls on the casting ?.

Roger.
casper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 01:40 PM UTC
You have mail Sir .
I stand corrected from my previous post (after finding the pic), as the turbo sat in normal position but below the top of the valve-cover. Just remembered why I was thinking otherwise - that was the location for the V8's .

Roger.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 02:42 PM UTC
Thanks roger....but the deed is done. If the whole set up worked I would've kept it.
Now, for something blue...my frame!

Tomorrow I'll start masking off the cab for it's blue color.
Although it may not be PC, I added the pogo stick and the mudflaps...my rig, my call, but I like it.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 01:20 PM UTC
I like the blue.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 02:48 AM UTC
I'm getting closer, had to do some planting yesterday...all day.
Here's the chassis nearly ready to roll.

Here's with the cab on it-

Ooops, wrong cab, let's try this again!

That's better...she's getting there. Need to chrome up the grill area next.
 _GOTOTOP