_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
tv and movie group build?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Auto Modeler: 59 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 02:08 AM UTC
I found a couple of cheap kits at a local Home Goods store (TJ Maxx, Marshall's). They had the Polar Lights Speed Racer kit the Mach 5 both in a snap form and glue form for $6 each. I bought both and slapped the snap kit together for my 6 yr old.

I will build the other for this campaign. I noticed they are virtually the same kit but the glue kit comes with all the gizmos the Mach 5 was famous for as well as a different set of axles and more detail parts to add.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 01:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You know how everyone says that Vader looks like he's taking a dump in that kit? It took it a step farther. LOL

...and one square left on the roll!...this ain't gonna be pretty!!!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 01:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I found a couple of cheap kits at a local Home Goods store (TJ Maxx, Marshall's). They had the Polar Lights Speed Racer kit the Mach 5 both in a snap form and glue form for $6 each. I bought both and slapped the snap kit together for my 6 yr old.

I will build the other for this campaign. I noticed they are virtually the same kit but the glue kit comes with all the gizmos the Mach 5 was famous for as well as a different set of axles and more detail parts to add.

Really?!...now I'm gonna have to go and open that kit just to see!
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 01:25 AM UTC
Yes, the snap kit contains a pair of metal axles to allow for play while the glue kit contains suspension parts (struts, etc.) for the wheel wells. Stickers vs. decals and the only gizmo I noticed with the snap kit was the robot bird that is in a small compartment in the hood.

The saw blades look interesting, but the jumping jacks look rather clumsy; basically 4 long poles that would install on the underside. I installed the aqua bubble canopy on my son's kit to keep his little fingers from ripping out the interior. I plan on using the normal windshield on mine.

I am not sure if this kit is based on the cartoon car or if they based it off of the new movie car.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 10:50 AM UTC
The saw blades are too small...they should be nearly double that size. The 4 lifting jacks should be smooth and not have the screw drive look. The engine is supposed to be under the hood, so I wonder what they were thinking with calling the trunk lid the engine cover panel? I guess we don't get the special traction tires option.
Ok, I'll ask you to go to speedracer dot com and hit the "characters" button, then under the "8th Bio" you'll find the Mach V and a few good shots{homing bird/steering wheel buttons/ saws} and the explanation of the buttons on the wheel. In most of the short movies I've seen{we have two CDs}, they never show any sideview mirrors.
Hey...you could do the Mammoth car....
Sabot
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 04:34 AM UTC
I think they were going for smaller blades like the movie version. This is a street legal mock up.

Here is the movie version I would like to build.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 01:43 PM UTC
I went to the semi annual plastic kit and toy show/swapmeet this weekend and walked{nearly skipped!} away happy but with new problems;
- Got the AMT Space 1999 Eagle kit that someone carved out all around the molded in webbing, scratched the Med lab body{just a start though but it's a good one}, and cut the control module off to more accurately attach it....I've been wanting this kit for eons...had $5 on it but I got it for $3.
- Found the only AMT '58 caddy in the show and it was semi built up but it had the needed red taillights for my ghost busters kit so I reluctantly grabbed it{$10}...the body will wind up as a total custom build some day.
So now I have to choose between the GB wagon or the Eagle...this will be a tough call folks, anyone want to toss in a notion?

Other incidental kits of long awaited want that were aquired;
-Monty SS aero coupe{haven't seen one of those in ages- $10
-Lindburg Dodge Caravan snap kit...missing the roof racks- $10
-AMT SWB Ferrari where someone had painted the body- $10
- an 8"x11" sheet of mopar "Mod top" decal sheet with window decals-$12
-Revell '67 Charger kit- $10
-Jimmy Flintstone '67 AWB Charger body- $10...it was nice to talk to Jim for a while but I shoulda grabbed more bodies!
I love this show except for the guy I bumped into with his freshly aquired and barely started AMT K-123 truck kit that he paid $80 for...wasn't a happy look on his face when I reluctantly told him they're due out again end of this year for $35.........oops.
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 06:13 AM UTC
Just an opinion, but this was more geared towards automobiles in the beginning and had other TV and film subjects added later; I'd go with the GB ambulance.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 06:38 AM UTC
Since this is in the "Cars" Forum, I'm thinking we should stick to cars; but that's just me. There are plenty of cars from movies & TV out there to build.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 10:20 AM UTC
Sabot & Jim, I think your right....this is why I asked I guess. GB wagon it is!
Thanks for the input gents.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
Auto Modeler: 62 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 10:03 AM UTC
I have actually been throwing around the idea of doing a DHARMA Initiative van for a few years now.

Maybe the Homermobile from the Simpsons.
http://startupblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/homermobile.jpg
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Auto Modeler: 268 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 06:11 AM UTC
I thought I posted a photo of the Snap-Tite truck I was going to disassemble and reconfigure, but I can't find that post now. Maybe I never hit the Reply button.
Is everyone else having trouble with the KitMaker Gallery today?
Anyway, after taking apart the truck (pretty quick, being a snap-tite, not too many pieces), I determined that chopping the truck bed is straight-forward, but the bottom pan is a different story. Instead of a quick build now, I think I'll have to scratchbuild a frame and suspension better and easier than trying to modify the kit part.
Sean.
Removed by original poster on 10/28/10 - 00:31:53 (GMT).
lighthorseman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 84 posts
Auto Modeler: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 - 01:07 PM UTC
i just enlisted for this

i have the polar lights speedracer mach V in the stash just screaming to be built for this campaign
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Auto Modeler: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 - 03:29 AM UTC
I'm in with a 1/6 Medusa from "Clash of the Titans"
pics soon
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Auto Modeler: 268 posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 - 03:58 AM UTC
Torchy,
Note that this thread was pre-campaign, and there is a newer official campaign thread now that it's begun. The latest talk is there.
Glad to have you join!
-Sean.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Auto Modeler: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 03:52 AM UTC
I've seen people mentioning the bluesmobile. I've been trying to find a model of the original car (forgot the type, but have it written down... '72 dodge?), but not to avail. All I found was a ready-made model, which actually looks quite nice.

I'd like to enlist with an M1A1 in the colors you could see in the "Land of Confusion" video by Disturbed.
Does it count, or does it have to be a movie/tv show?
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 03:09 AM UTC
Here, this is the link for the "official" build thread....we'll try and keep all our eggs in one basket - this way so no-one gets left without a ribbon for lack of not seeing his/her{we got any of those here?} builds.
official build thread
 _GOTOTOP