The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Official tv and movie build thread
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Auto Modeler: 268 posts
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2010 - 05:14 AM UTC
A little more progress.
I put spacers to lift the body on the chassis. The snap kit originally had tabs front and back to hold the chassis and body together, but I'll just glue them. I had to box out the engine compartment, so daylight didn't shine through!
No real modifications to the cab interior, except to add a prominent shifter. As the paint comes, the build gets more exciting, as it's easier to visualize how the final product will look.

More later!
Sean.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 - 02:41 AM UTC
Further along on the Pizza Planet truck.
Painted the interior after adding a gear shift lever. No other improvements inside. Shortened body, seams filled and sanded:
ClosedUpCab-20101128-1450

Underside, I loosely copied the effect on Ecto 1 earlier in this forum, by painting black primer, then dusting on a red-brown primer, and finally dry-brushing rust on the exhaust components. Also note that I replaced a broken axle pin with sprue.
Underside-20101128-1450

-Sean.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 - 04:06 AM UTC
Another bump to this thread...
My basic truck kit is together. Now to add the new parts-- topper, mirrors, door handles, lug nuts and hubs, gas filler door, and of course that nifty Pizza Planet rocketship sign. Paint, rust, and dirt strategies are still floating around in the back of my head.
Steady as she goes.
-Sean.
ppawlak1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Auto Modeler: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 - 06:55 AM UTC
Hey Guys !

My plan is to build the T-55 from the movie "The Beast" (1988).

It's an Israeli Tiran-5, so I'll be using the Tamiya kit (1/35), with a Legends Conversion, and TAnk figures.

The Beast (1988)

Pics :

Cheers

Paul
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Auto Modeler: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 - 09:19 PM UTC
Hi guys
heres mine,Ray Harryhausens Medusa from Clash of the Titans

Its a 1/6th vinyl kit complete with base

better get a ton of paint in!
Andy
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 02:17 AM UTC
I'm back to this group build, juggling one other (Steam Punk, under Geek Central).
Since I used wheels from a 1/25 Chevette (I think), the chrome hubcaps wouldn't do for my rusty pickup, so I scratched together some detail. The wheel center is just styrene card (I always say "sheet", but KitMaker contributors seem to use "card" more). The hub is cut sprue, and the lugnuts are small slices of stretched sprue.
WheelLugs-20101207-2203
Next, I'm on to the cap for the back. Here I'm using my thickest styrene, so I'll have enough material to be able to round off the edges later on.
CuttingCapParts-20101207-2202
In the back of my head, I'm strategizing how to print the red decals for the doors and rooftop sign-- a friend of mine makes custom decals, so I will probably take my images and dimensions to him. (I don't have any printer at home, and at work only black toner)
Fun stuff!
-Sean.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 02:11 AM UTC
Me again. (It's gotten lonely here. )
I formed up the cap/topper from styrene shapes and fitted it to the truck bed:
CapShapes-20101215-1739
I used fairly thick styrene, so I could round the edges. Here I've begun sanding:
CapSanding-20101215-1739
Then slowly and methodically sanded to the final shape:
CapFinalShape-20101215-2157
thanks,
Sean.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 12:16 PM UTC
Sean, that's looking great! Are you going to make the decals on your own{MS word or photoshop}?
Wish mine was going that well....I hit major decal issues with mine. They either don't like micro set and sol, or they're just stubborn....nearly all the edges are wrinkled after repeted coatings of micro sol to settle them the rest of the way down.......I'm about ready to rip them off and retry another set{if I had one}.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 12:48 PM UTC
Thanks much, Bob! Decals can be very frustrating! That's where my mutt build lost it's momentum too-- I didn't have and couldn't find correct decals. I tried hand-lettering, but the results were less than spectacular. Have you tried getting Future or white glue under the edges? It's not a perfect fix, but it MIGHT work.
At least this truck I'm on now has four sets of the same decals, and they're a simple red one-color scheme. I just have to photo-shop one good set from all the internet images, and print it four times (both doors and both sides of the rocket-- roughly the same size, just reconfigured).
The next step will be the Sculptamold putty rocket. I have it mostly shaped up, so I just need to finish the shape and bake it set.
I think I'll try to be fancy and bubble out the slot-shaped window in the topper cap too. At least I'll make an effort, and if all else fails, just use a flat window.
Cheers!
-Sean.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 02:56 AM UTC
a bump here. This site sure got quiet after halloween-- I hope everyone's safe!
Anyway, I worked up images for decals from screen shots from the movie that I scrounged from around the internet. A friend of mine who does this all the time has printed them up on his fancy ALPS printer, but I'll pick them up today.
I botched the rust layering I was going to do. I should have used the salt technique, but instead used hairspray over my rust-colored primer. My final color was household spray-can enamel, which didn't budge-- I think airbrushed acrylic is what the experts use. The hairspray had no effect under the enamel, and wouldn't slough off, so I'll have to paint on the rust, using shades of black and rust brown-- mostly drybrushing and washes.
I WILL use Sculptamold putty for the roof-top rocket sign. I've been tinkering with it, but haven't baked it to a final shape yet.
cheers,
Sean.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 02:16 AM UTC
A little more progress last night, juggling this build with the Steam Punk build. It keeps my mind hopping (at least that's what I tell myself).
Here I've painted the overall yellow, and using a brush with short, stiff bristles, I smashed on/ drybrushed some Testors Enamel rust paint. Where it was too heavy, I swiped at it with my finger, a rag, and thinner, always attempting to make it look somewhat random, but heavier at the panel bottoms and seams.
Starting to paint details too, like the rear hatch, front fascia, and lights. The side marker lights are only painted on (silver enamel for now-- Future with food coloring to follow).
PaintRustFront-20110110-2221
PaintRustSide-20110110-2221
happy trails!
-Sean.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 - 02:29 AM UTC
I haven't forgotten this campaign, among all my others...
I started the little details-- mirrors and rear hatch handle.
My friend doing my decals with his ALPS printer had printed my images in HO Scale (1/87)-- he's a friend from a train module group and probably didn't know I'm also working in larger scales. He'll print another set for me, this time in 1/32, but I probably won't see him until the end of February-- plenty of time to finish this one before the group build concludes.
-Sean.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 - 02:00 PM UTC
Sorry I'm late to the party guys. I have 2 trucks and 8 airplanes going right now all at the same time so I had to put this build on the sidelines for a while. Anyhoo......being a bit burned out with airplanes for the time being I decided crack open my Cuda' kit.

Here's the kit I'm gonna use.

And here's what she'll hopefully look like when finished. The Phantasm Cuda'.

I have plenty of Cuda' kits in the stash but this one has the power bulge hood like the movie car. The only thing I may do different is the paint. I'm thinking of using Tamiyas Metallic Black instead of regular gloss black. I painted a 2009 Challenger kit this color for my son and it's friggin' awsome.

I'll get the interior done tonight and hopefully start preping the body for paint.

Hermon
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 - 03:31 PM UTC
I honestly didn't know what the Phantasm Cuda was, but it looks awesome.
It was getting really quiet over here. I almost thought I had this one all to myself
Excellent to see you here, Hermon. The pressure is on the rest of us!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Auto Modeler: 59 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 02:26 AM UTC
Sean, amazing work.
HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Auto Modeler: 182 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 12:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I honestly didn't know what the Phantasm Cuda was, but it looks awesome.

Here you go Sean.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079714/

The first movie was awesome. I didn't like the sequel.

Randy
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 01:33 PM UTC
Sean, I planned on building a movie Mopar from the start. But, seeing as how the General Lee or the Vanishing Point Challenger would have been obvious, I decided to go with something less famous but way cooler.
BTW, the work you're doing on the Toyota is top notch. Really nice scratchbuilding going on there.

OK, I've gotten the interior slapped together. Nothing fancy. Semi gloss black for the seats and dash, and flat black for the carpet.

Having built nearly 30 or 40 billion of these Cuda' kits, I've learned a trick or two along the way. If you build this kit box stock the finished product will resemble a nice Cuda' sitting really high in the front end like the engine has been pulled. Not cool at all.
Here is the front K-member with suspension. Notice the location of the spindles. That's why the front of the car sits sooooo high.

Now look at where the spindles are. Only about 3 MM higher than stock but it makes a big difference in the stance of the car. This took a total of about 5 minutes from cutting to re-gluing.

The repositioning of the spindles also puts a very slight angle on the wheels that makes it look more realistic IMHO of a muscle car with a big a** Hemi sitting between the fenderwells. If she ain't saggin' she ain't got enough motor.

Hermon
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Auto Modeler: 11 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 10:32 PM UTC
Gentlemen-
I'll join you with a build of an 1/48 Albatross marked as The Red Baron as seen the movie "Der Rote Baron" from 2008.

http://www.redbaron-themovie.com/index_en.html

Naturally there are lots of mistakes in the movie (including the paint and markings of that particular plane), but we are going for "as seen in the movie/ on TV, right?

Cheers,
Guido

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 02:09 AM UTC
Thanks, Sabot and Harv!
Hermon, that Cuda interior is scary awesome. Obvious that you've done "30 or 40 billion" of them.
Guido, yep, part of the fun is repeating the movie mistakes.
For myself, I'm having second thoughts about all the black on this truck-- the scenes are all nighttime, and I think I mistook the remaining chrome for black. If I do anything to change that, it'll just be some dry-brushed hints of silver.
This is a cool campaign with an excellent group of modellers.
-Sean.
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Auto Modeler: 11 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 07:19 AM UTC
Gentlemen-

This is as far as I got, having started last weekend.
The Eduard kit of the 1/48th Albatross is quite nice to work with. This is my first string bag and I am labouring with wood replication. It seems to properly show some wood effect for an internet presentation, I have to take more drastic measures; in real life it seemed to be looking quite OK.

Hermon-
That is one cool looking car. I'd trade that for my KIA any day of the week.

Cheers,
Guido
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 06:55 AM UTC
A message to Spongya, and anyone else just joining this group build, to use this "official" forum. We're in "The Garage" now, since the "Cars" category didn't include everything here, I guess.
Sorry I have nothing to add regarding the best kit for the Bluesmobile. A 1974 Dodge sedan, if I remember right. (A cop describes it over the radio near the beginning of the movie, just before chasing it into that shopping mall.)

An Automodeler administrator should probably lock the original "Cars" thread, where this group build was proposed.
Pastafarian, are you done? The tie fighter build went so quickly! No Mr.Bean Mini then?
thanks,
Sean.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 12:28 PM UTC
I'm still plugging along.............slowly.
Thought I'd show a little update pic of where I'm at with the Phantasm Cuda'. I still have a ton of work to do on the body before it's ready for primer. This pic will hopefully show the "rake" the car now has thanks to relocating the front spindles. Maybe a bit too much for some folks taste......but just right for a middle aged ol' redneck like myself.

I'm gonna use Bobs advice and also the tips Lewis posted on his Lotus build thread to prep the Cuda' body for some super glossy black paint. Shouldn't take me more than a year at my current pace.

Hermon
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Auto Modeler: 21 posts
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 11:36 AM UTC
I've asked it in the other topic, but I ask it here, too:

I've seen people mentioning the bluesmobile. I've been trying to find a model of the original car (forgot the type, but have it written down... '72 dodge?), but not to avail. All I found was a ready-made model, which actually looks quite nice.

I'd like to enlist with an M1A1 in the colors you could see in the "Land of Confusion" video by Disturbed.
Does it count, or does it have to be a movie/tv show?

Thank you
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 03:42 AM UTC
Andras, Aside from the diecast stuff out there or a very old promo car, that's prettymuch it for anything of the bluesmobile.
Don't quote me on this, but I think we were sticking to just movie and TV vehicles.......not anything on video.............but I could be wrong.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Andras, Aside from the diecast stuff out there or a very old promo car, that's prettymuch it for anything of the bluesmobile.
Don't quote me on this, but I think we were sticking to just movie and TV vehicles.......not anything on video.............but I could be wrong.

I dunno, Bob. videos are shown on TV, and Andras is willing to build it. A video may not hold nostalgia for us 40-somethings, but it could be cool. We'll see if pastafarian makes a call on this one. There are still a little over 2 months for Andras to make a cool contribution.
-Sean.