The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
What the postman brought today ....
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2019 - 04:49 AM UTC
Rowan,
Nice find. A 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 was the King of Cruising back in my days. And it could take out just about any of the competition on the streets. Looking forward to seeing you bring it to life once again.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2019 - 04:53 AM UTC
David,
Now there's one beauty of a F1 kit. The car had a 1.5 liter engine which was more like one of their motorcycle engines that preceded the 3.0 liter era.

I'm really looking forward to following your build as this is the start of my favorite F1 era

Joel
forest1000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 80 posts
Auto Modeler: 44 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 - 11:12 AM UTC
Damian, Jesper and Joel,

Damian, Not sure if I'm going to use it for that group build. There's a couple of other kits that I want to do first.See below.

Jesper, I looked the kit it over and it does have a few spots, but am still looking forward to starting it.

Joel, I'm actually leaning to one of a Nissan R381, Williams Renault FW13B, Opel Calibra, or Jaques Villeneuve's W/R FW19, so I can spend a little more time on the Honda.

So I have some decision making to do.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 - 11:02 PM UTC
I recently turned 51 and had guest on Saturday. Got me a very nice birthday present.

Lego Mustang" BORDER="0">
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 01:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I recently turned 51 and had guest on Saturday. Got me a very nice birthday present.

That looks fun. I built the Super Star Destroyer a few years ago and took it apart when we moved. I may have to rebuild it once the workshop is rebuilt next year.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I built the Super Star Destroyer a few years ago

That is a massive beast. Something like that needs to be displayed, not being, in a box, disassembled. Well, that's what I think, most wifes would disagree
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 09:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I built the Super Star Destroyer a few years ago

That is a massive beast. Something like that needs to be displayed, not being, in a box, disassembled. Well, that's what I think, most wifes would disagree

Over a meter long, and nearly .3 meter wide, yeah, wives don't like them in the dining room for too long. Managed too have it there for a few months before pulling it apart. But hey, she bought it for me as a birthday present.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 10:34 AM UTC
Jesper,
Happy Birthday old Man

I'd kill to be 51 again. Unfortunately, I'm 11 years older then you, and usually feel every year of it.

Those Lego sets are something else.

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 01:37 PM UTC
Belated best wishes Jesper, I hope you had a good birthday! That Lego Pony looks great. A quick build for the Blue Oval perhaps?

Something a bit different from the postie for me today. I spotted this at a good price and just liked the lines, plus I don't have anything Italian in my Auto stash. Any excuse will do though, right?

Cheers, D
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 05:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Lego Mustang" BORDER="0">

Great gift Jesper. As an aside I noticed that the box says 1471 pieces!!! When was the last car kit anyone built had that many pieces. Where do LEGO put them all?

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 06:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Belated best wishes Jesper, I hope you had a good birthday! That Lego Pony looks great. A quick build for the Blue Oval perhaps?

Something a bit different from the postie for me today. I spotted this at a good price and just liked the lines, plus I don't have anything Italian in my Auto stash. Any excuse will do though, right?

Cheers, D

I hope you have a special space for it. It's not going to want to park near all those Chevys!

cheers
Michael
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 06:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope you have a special space for it. It's not going to want to park near all those Chevys!

cheers
Michael

I've got a small shelf away from the main display reserved for non-Chevy builds. It's a cold, lonely, dark little place, but if my "Garage Queens 2020" plan works out there will be a Mopar or two there before the Ferrari.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Auto Modeler: 388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 09:10 AM UTC
Hi Jesper

Belated Happy Birthday from me too! I think we need a review of that Mustang!

I hit the Big Six-Oh this year. I suppose a small silver lining was that the eye test I had the other day was free!

Thankfully, my eyesight hasn't got any worse since the previous test, but it's nowhere near as sharp as it used to be - I need reading specs and a magnifier for all close-up work these days.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 10:51 AM UTC
Confession time guys. I posted that I was 11 years older then Jesper, well I lied. I'm really 21 years older. Talk about depressing

And D, I just love those older Ferrari's The GTO 250 Californian is one beautiful car for sure. Sure hope that you're going to put it on your build schedule sooner then later.

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 11:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Confession time guys. I posted that I was 11 years older then Jesper, well I lied. I'm really 21 years older. Talk about depressing

Don’t look at it that way Joel, it’s 21 years more experienced 🧐

Quoted Text

And D, I just love those older Ferrari's The GTO 250 Californian is one beautiful car for sure. Sure hope that you're going to put it on your build schedule sooner then later. Joel

It’s a classic body for sure, sort of like a Mediterranean Corvette 😎

Cheers, D
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Auto Modeler: 555 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 06:00 PM UTC
Well Joel, I thought your math was suspect, cus I know you're older than I am and I'm more than 11 years past my 51st birthday.

I couldn't find these in any local sources, so I had to order these for a couple of projects.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 07:02 PM UTC
Thank you gentlemen.

I was at a concert yesterday, where I met an old army buddy, I haven't seen in almost 30 years. We recognized each other immediately, so I guess I still look like I did in my 20's

Beautiful Ferrari Damian.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 - 02:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Don’t look at it that way Joel, it’s 21 years more experienced 🧐

Quoted Text

And D, I just love those older Ferrari's The GTO 250 Californian is one beautiful car for sure. Sure hope that you're going to put it on your build schedule sooner then later. Joel

It’s a classic body for sure, sort of like a Mediterranean Corvette 😎

Cheers, D

D,
Not so sure about the added experience, but a lot more aches and pains for sure.

As for the Ferrari 250 being the Mediterranean Vette, but it's the most expensive Vette you'll likely ever see.

Joel
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2019 - 08:18 AM UTC
Hi again

Well, with only a day to go, I think I can safely call this my last guitar for 2019!

It was knocked down in price in Andertons' winter sale, and (apart from the good price) I couldn't resist it on several levels; I've always wanted a Gretsch, plus I've wanted to play around with a Bigsby vibrato for ages. And then there's the colour - a pearlescent finish (which doesn't really come out in the photo) that has a great "retro" vibe and is probably my prettiest axe of the lot (it'd look awesome on a '50s car kit!).

It's Chinese-made, so very much at the budget end of the market, but is very nicely built and finished (I honestly can't find anything to criticise at all) and has a totally distinct sound that complements my other guitars very nicely. Plus - most important of all - it plays really nicely!

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2019 - 10:01 AM UTC
Rowan,
Enjoy your new guitar, she looks great. And the color could be misconstrued for faded BRG

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2019 - 12:49 PM UTC
A beautiful looking guitar there Rowan, great addition to the fleet! A friend of mine has and older Gretsch with a Bigsby, such a unique sound and good fun.

I have another guitar added to my collection this year as well, but under different circumstances.

This belonged to the drummer in the band I played in 25 years ago, and he had it well before I met him so I'm estimating that it might be 40-plus years old. It is a Washburn Prairie Song. Sadly Chris passed away a couple of years ago from a degenerative brain disease, but I have stayed in touch with his wife Helen and she told me that Chris would be very pleased for me to have this.

I make sure that I play a couple of the old band songs every time I pick it up, in his honour.

Cheers, D
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 - 04:19 AM UTC
Hi Damian

That's a lovely guitar - and one to treasure all the more in the circumstances. It's great that you play some of the old numbers on it - I might be a sentimental old softy, but it always feels particularly apt to play songs on the same instruments that had a part in making the music in the first place.

All the best

Rowan
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2020 - 01:03 PM UTC
No kits this week, but some goodies arrived from Scale Modellers Supply ordered on the Boxing Day sale. Getting my bench spruced up with a new mat and getting some new colours for pending builds.

A teaser as well, I have a couple of kits on their way from NZ that I have been hunting down for quite a while now, can't wait to get my hands on them as I've seen nothing but great reviews. Not the usual manufacturers, but definitely my taste in cars.

Cheers, D
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2020 - 12:16 AM UTC
Rowan: beautifull guitar, love that color. Now you have to build that 50's car to match

Damian: That's quite a haul. Mint green, pearl pink champagne, turquoise, do I smell a 1950's build coming up?
Not the usual manufacturers,so it's not a Chevy. Your taste, in cars, so it has to be a Chevy. I give up
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2020 - 05:07 AM UTC
I received the Platz 1/24 Racing Series: PORSCHE 953K3 '79 LM WINNER

Who would like to review it? PM me.