The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
What the postman brought today ....
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Auto Modeler: 388 posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2020 - 10:39 PM UTC
Hi again

The enforced lockdown seems the perfect excuse to get a kit with a difference!

All the best

Rowan
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2020 - 11:17 PM UTC
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2020 - 01:07 AM UTC
Kit with a twist. I prefer coffee kits
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2020 - 03:32 AM UTC
Rowan,
You're certainly a man of many talents. Looking forward to hearing about this adventure for sure.

Joel
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2020 - 06:58 AM UTC
Hi again

Well, I started the brew today, so fingers crossed!

Sadly, with all the current self-isolation, it wouldn't be safe to send out samples for review when it's ready. You'll have to rely on my totally impartial reports - perhaps accompanied by a photo of me slumped in a chair with a silly grin on my face - or else being admitted to A&E with food-poisoning! Hopefully the former.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2020 - 09:18 AM UTC
Rowan,
Sure you can ship some of your brew, just have to have unbreakable containers. I'm more then willing to be a tester

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2020 - 11:13 AM UTC
Rowan, it only makes 40 pints, that will only cover you for one weekend

One thing to consider, my guitar playing ALWAYS sounds a lot better after a few

Cheers , D
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2020 - 09:30 PM UTC
As long as it's not 124 scale pints, you should be set for a little while. Best of luck, with your brew.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 01:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One thing to consider, my guitar playing ALWAYS sounds a lot better after a few

Cheers , D

Hi Damian

I know that feeling! What is a bit scary, though, is when I've had the urge to play the guitar when sozzled, have come up with a new riff and recorded a 4-part run through of it - and then listened to the track the next day... and it's actually half-decent!

Right - something much more Auto Modeler-related this time. This little beauty's just arrived:

I've never tried a Moebius Models kit before, so I'm excited to see what it's like.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 04:25 AM UTC
Rowan,
Interesting kit for sure. But how about finishing up the other two kits 1st, right after the P-51 Ds are on the flight line

Joel
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 05:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rowan,
Interesting kit for sure. But how about finishing up the other two kits 1st, right after the P-51 Ds are on the flight line

Joel

Hi Joel

Don't worry - I won't stop work on the others to make way for this.

I will do a review, though - and my first impressions are really positive.

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,
I'm looking forward to both. But remember that I'm already 72, so time isn't exactly on my side.

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 04:30 PM UTC
Rowan, I just built a Moebius for the previous campaign. Very nice indeed - perfect fit of the plastic parts except for the windshield and couple of hiccups in the instructions manual, everything it's just about perfect. I'll take a Moebius any time.

Gabriel
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2020 - 07:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rowan, I just built a Moebius for the previous campaign. Very nice indeed - perfect fit of the plastic parts except for the windshield and couple of hiccups in the instructions manual, everything it's just about perfect. I'll take a Moebius any time.

Gabriel

Hi Gabriel

That's really encouraging. I've just finished blocking out my review and remain thoroughly impressed with most aspects of the kit. The weird thing is that, the closer I look at it, the clearer I can see distinct production similarities with Kitty Hawk aircraft kits - but everything's working here (as compared with some of the horror stories I've encountered with the latter...).

All the best

Rowan
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2020 - 08:50 PM UTC
Rowan: if the 1954 Hudson is as good, as their 1953 Hudson, you're in for a real treat.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2020 - 07:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rowan: if the 1954 Hudson is as good, as their 1953 Hudson, you're in for a real treat.

Hi Jesper

I'll pick a few holes (I'm almost duty-bound to do so as a reviewer - but, genuinely, there are a couple of points that could be improved), but I'm pretty chuffed with my purchase. It's such a great looking car, I'm itching to start building it - but Joel would never forgive me if let it jump the queue!

All the best

Rowan
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2020 - 11:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm itching to start building it - but Joel would never forgive me if let it jump the queue!

All the best

Rowan

And you will end up like yours truly with almost 30 WIP tucked away in various niches around the place.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 05:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

[quote I'm itching to start building it - but Joel would never forgive me if let it jump the queue!

All the best

Rowan

And you will end up like yours truly with almost 30 WIP tucked away in various niches around the place.

Cheers, D[/quote]

D,
I'm willing to bet that Rowan just may have you beat. I even remember a WNW multi engine bomber that he bought as a birthday present for himself, which he did indeed start. The cockpit and interior was really looking quite good, but then it kind of disappeared as so many of his build eventually did. You can ask him how much I badgered him about finishing some of these builds, especially the ones that I was following.

My brother emailed me yesterday, and said that he heard that WNW was filing for Bankruptcy. How can that possibly be? Once the absolute king of 1/32 scale WWI kits, that had buyers lined up with cash in their hands before the 1st run of that kit was even started. Now it seems to meet the demands of vendors world wide, everything outside of design in done in China. Bottom line must be a lot less, the demand has leveled off as supplies of almost all the kits isn't an issue any longer, and I would venture to say that most of the more important and well known aircraft have been produced by them.

Joel
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 11:34 AM UTC
There seem to be a number of stories on WNW for some reason. I guess rumours from bored modellers may feed on themselves. From a NZ perspective, companies go in to receivership here, individuals go bankrupt. Since WNW is a private company owned by a wealthy individual who is unlikely to be bankrupt, he may choose to close WNW which is a different thing but since their website is till accepting orders then that is unlikely. In NZ there have been severe lockdown workplace restrictions put in place including the postal system. NZ is not allowing inbound or outbound deliveries unless they are essential goods, hence WNW website message. So let's wait and see what happens in these difficult times.

cheers
Michael
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
Auto Modeler: 409 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 12:11 PM UTC
I did a drive by pick curbside pick up today:-

Into the stash pile for now.
Maybe a 4 X 4 GB in the future?
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 03:27 PM UTC
Nice pick-up Richard, I look forward to your build on that one. Lot's of possibilities.

I'm not sure a 4x4 Group Build would get much traction in its own right, there's not the level of interest or number of kits available. Perhaps in combination with trucks? Big Rigs and Off Road Group Build? This might have a broader appeal.

With regard to the WNW rumours, there has been plenty of chatter in the forums that I stalk, and the consensus is that they have just shut the doors temporarily due to the lockdown. Time will tell which companies will stand, and which will fall.

Cheers, D
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers, D

Hi Damian

As Joel suggests, I'm afraid I could easily out-do that modest total! My weakness is... I just love starting kits - and always genuinely mean to finish them - but then something else comes in that grabs my attention. That was one of the primary reasons I stepped down from running Aeroscale and doing so many reviews - I just wanted to get back to actually building (and finishing!) some stuff.

So - no worries about the Hudson jumping the queue. The P-51D Mustangs and Del Rio are my joint-focus at the moment and progressing steadily - but there is something apparently due to be on the way later this week from a manufacturer that's going to demand some work-space. I won't disclose any details, because I haven't got the all-clear to do so yet, but it's an aircraft project with a view to print-magazine publication (but I'll also obviously aim to give Kitmaker a healthy chunk of the coverage too).

All the best

Rowan
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 - 01:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My weakness is... I just love starting kits - and always genuinely mean to finish them - but then something else comes in that grabs my attention.

Rowan, I suffer from the same affliction. I get most enjoyment from the initial build process. The painting and finishing I find daunting, although I am getting more confident. I just love the process of cutting the parts from the sprues, cleaning them up and working through the assembly with the adjustments, modifications and repairs required.

End result - half built kits everywhere!

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 01:19 AM UTC
D & Rowan,
And I'm the exact opposite of both of you. I start a build and that's my only model focus till it crosses the finish line. Guess I just trained myself not to even open the next build box out of fear loosing my narrow vision focus. Seems to work for me, but I know that I'm missing that part of the hobby for sure.

Joel
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 06:46 AM UTC
Hi Joel

I was like that as a kid - but then I used to build a kit every week. My pocket money was sufficient for a trip to the model shop every Saturday - it was just enough to buy something like an Airfix or Revell 1:72 single-engined aircraft kit. Anything more ambitious meant saving up or doing extra chores.

These days my imagination has already moved on to the next project(s) before I've finished the one(s) I've started - but I guess it does mean one treat that I didn't have back then... the wonderful sense of surprise when I finish a kit! (I probably shouldn't say that with a commission for a manufacturer looming, should I! )

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 08:11 AM UTC
Rowan,
I do remember those days as well. Back in the late 1950s I use to go to the only toy store on my block as I wasn't allowed to cross the street. But he had plenty of kits to choose from. Started the kit late Saturday morning, and was "flying it" around the house before dinner time.

Joel