The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
What the postman brought today ....
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Auto Modeler: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 08:18 AM UTC
Hi Joel

I think my "Saturday kits" were usually only "flying" by Sunday - but I've always been a slow builder!

All the best

Rowan
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2020 - 10:46 AM UTC
After a rather bad day at my desk, I've got some good news from my mail carrier in Miami. Three kits were sent to me for review, and two of them are quite nice. The third one seems to be again a "bomb" as my F-50 it was. The pictures I have right now are also poor resolution, but that's the way I've got them from the sender.
The unique Tyrrell it was on my long shopping list as well - so all the better! This is the first one I'm going to build.

The Porsche it's an "yellow challenge" again and I'm gonna leave it for last. Are you with me, Joel? At least it's a newer Tamiya, with Cartograf decals.

The wild card into the package it's the Lotus Wing - talking about British Cars GB. I cannot make even the make in the corner of the box, but I can make out the word "motorized" on the other corner - and that's enough to send chills along my spine...

Cheers!
Gabriel
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2020 - 11:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The wild card into the package it's the Lotus Wing - talking about British Cars GB. I cannot make even the make in the corner of the box, but I can make out the word "motorized" on the other corner - and that's enough to send chills along my

Two very nice kits and one very suspect kit. As always, straight to Scalemates to find out a bit more. A Japanese manufacturer called Yodel, 1984 moulds. Could be fun, could be a nightmare.

Cheers, D
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2020 - 01:33 PM UTC
I'll be waiting on the 6 wheeler review with baited breath. I've always wanted to pick that one up, such a unique look.

That Lotus Europa looks interesting with the wing on it.
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2020 - 01:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Two very nice kits and one very suspect kit. As always, straight to Scalemates to find out a bit more. A Japanese manufacturer called Yodel, 1984 moulds. Could be fun, could be a nightmare.

D. I was browsing desperately the YT meanwhile, looking for a review. Nada! The closest resemblance I found It's a Nichimoto Lotus Europa. And I't as bad as I thought, regarding the lower half and undersides

David, yes I was intrigued myself by Tyrrell thing and I wanted to buy it, but as I am not a genuine open wheels guy, I kept postponing it. Now it's the perfect opportunity for me to build it and, if it gets to me on time, it will replace my VW on the ongoing GB.

Gabriel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2020 - 01:51 AM UTC
Gabriel,
Nothing like some new kits to brighten your outlook till you can get some clear decal paper.

Interesting spread of subjects. If you remember I built the Tamiya 956 kit a few years ago. Great kit, tons of excellent details, and nearly a perfect fit everywhere.

The Tamiya Tyrell P34 certainly is a one of type that Tyrell ran for just two years. Typical Tamiya quality from what I hear. Another excellent build.

The last of the 3 kits is a racing version of the 1973 Lotus Europa that actually had the wing. Past these pictures I don't know anything about that racing version, but odds are it did exist.

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2020 - 02:10 AM UTC
Joel, thanks for the pictures of Lotus Wing. It's still complete dark on the subject for me, but your pictures shine some light here. I would prefer hands down the black livery, but I doubt the kit provides the gold piping.
Tyrrell it's probably the best kit from the crop - I've seen a full build vlog last night - it's a very good Tamiya indeed!

Of course I remember the Porsche you have build for Porsche Campaign and I wish to thank you for the extended instruction manual Also I know from you that the interior it's wrong and the co-pilot seat it's pure fantasy and needs to be re-done with scratch-built detail. The engine it's a jewel, indeed.

All in all, I'm pleased with what I've got.

Gabriel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2020 - 02:43 AM UTC
Gabriel,
Sure sounds like your set for several months of building. I'm really looking forward to your build blog of the Ken Tyrell's P34.

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 10:59 PM UTC
Postman was in my good books today.

A small order of pre-wired distributors from Ted's Modeling Marketplace, which took 4 weeks to get here from Florida.

I will do a review of these soon, but initial impressions are very good.

And another 1/12 scale '57 Chevy that I picked up from a local Facebook Buy/Swap/Sell page, sealed internal bags and at a good price.

Cheers, D
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 12:16 AM UTC
They are very good distributors. I recommend drilling into the bottom of the cap and the drive and adding a small pin when gluing them together. Keeps any side load while running the wires from popping them apart, especially if you are impatient like me and don't wait for the CA to set completely. LOL
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 12:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They are very good distributors. I recommend drilling into the bottom of the cap and the drive and adding a small pin when gluing them together. Keeps any side load while running the wires from popping them apart, especially if you are impatient like me and don't wait for the CA to set completely. LOL

Good advice David, I'm not exactly known for my patience so I will definitely be doing this. I will be using the first one on my current '55 Pro Sportsman build.

Cheers, D
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 12:41 AM UTC
Damian, they sell these distributors since long by my regular supplier, but I kept avoiding them, unsure about their quality. The pictures on the site aren't convincing at all - your pictures are much better already. I'm waiting on your review / user experience.

You're becoming trendy now - I see 1:12 auto scale it's becoming more popular these days in some circles, and 1:6 or 1:8 for motorcycles. I'm sure such a project it will be awesome, but I don't think I'm ready to take into one: large surfaces to finish impeccable for once, large windows, all too much empty space OOB to be filled in and hard to find AM parts - not that I ever buy any On the other hand, this size project should be awesome, laden with detail and at the final should look deadly!

Gabriel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 01:16 AM UTC
D,
Looks like you're opening up your own hobby shop.

I might be off the site for some time as my computer is dying

with constant lock ups. Taking it in for repairs on Monday as I have no idea of what's wrong with it.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 06:33 AM UTC
Well, I don't think I've ever posted a new model or AM parts here before, but there's a 1st time for everything.

One of my online friends from my other car modeling list put up several kits for sale, and when I saw that two of the kits were from the Tamiya 1/24 scale super detailed LeMans series, I couldn't resist, espeically since both are out of production.

the kits are the Sauber Mercedes C-9

and the Mazda 787B

Both kit boxes are in perfect condition and both are still shrink wrapped !! And as a added bonus he threw in the Studio 27 Detail PE sets for both cars.

I'll definately use a lot of the PE, but not the wiring harness nor the seatbelt harness which each is on different PE frets. I'm guessing that they were added as space fillers.

I also had ordered a few months ago from Spot Models in Spain the new Nunu Audi R8 LMS GT3 car. And after 6 wks 6 days it finally showed up.

There's only one more kit being released that I've been waiting for by Beemax that still hasn't been released, and that's the Porsche 911R 2019 GT3, my favorite GT3 car in every series by far.

Joel
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 10:55 AM UTC
Great score Joel. I have never seen those Tamiya kits before and with the extras should be great builds. I see there is also an etch set for the Audi now.
Looks like you are finally starting to build a stash!

Cheers
Michael
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 11:30 AM UTC
Michael,
Yeah, the stash has reached it's final max level. I've got 18 models in it, and I'm not even going to be buying to my standard of build one, but one, till next year with the exception of the 911, which I've been waiting and waiting for.

I've seen the detail up set for the Audi, but it wasn't in stock when I order the model. It will have to wait till I can either find it in the states, which is next to impossible, or just wait till the 911 is in stock. Of course I'll buy the Detail up set for that build for sure.

The trouble with a stash is that with every new addition, my to build list keeps on changing.

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 01:32 PM UTC
Great to see some new kits hitting your doorstep Joel, looking forward to following those builds!

Cheers, D
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 01:57 PM UTC
Joel, nice buys for sure. Sauber Mercedes C9 it is in my radar for some time, and so it's the Audi. I never seent the super-detailed series from Tamiya in 1/24! I don't know how it evaded me for so long!
Mazda it's also interesting and I surprised myself being recently much more interested in Japanese model cars than before.

I also received the three kits I was announcing earlier and I can say the two Tamiyas are OK - surprisingly enough, the Tyrrell has 2 cockpit cowlings, apparently identical, but one injected in blue, the other one in white. I need to look closer into that.
The Lotus Europa it's the disaster I expected it to be - the instructions are printed inside of the lid and start with a hammer and the electric motor provided. I'm very excited already - about the hammer that is.
The Porsche Newmann it's the very same one Joel did a while ago and it has its own problems, one regarding the painting, the other one related to the interior but it looks OK.

Gabriel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 11:14 PM UTC
The Mazda one has me intrigued. BTW, glad your Spot Model delivery finally arrived!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 - 02:08 AM UTC
David,
Me too. I thought that the model was lost forever with the USPS shipping to every depot on the NE coast.

D,
My wife had already jumped down my throat about more models arriving twice this week, and naturally that will be followed by a Gravity paint order, and a restocks of basic paints for AB and hand painting via Sprue Brothers as I'm starting to run out of nearly everything.

Gabriel,
at one time Tamiya was molding super detailed racing cars in 1/24 scale, then they moved to their version of curbside kits. I guess it really cut back costs and development time. Not to mention that the models were more competitively priced.

the Porsche 956 you have is an excellent kit. Just going to take a lot of work as it's super detailed. the Sauber and Mazda are from that series. One thing I will spend considerable time on when I build each of those kits is to make sure that the rear engine deck fits perfectly so I can remove it as need be. In it's display case the deck on my 956 seats standing upright and off the car.

I'm planning on building the Hasegawa version which is curbside so I can have a full closed body version next to it, and I also have the semi rare short track version with a whole different rear deck layout.

I'm looking forward to your build of the Lotus Europa, as anything Lotus interests me.

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 - 02:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the Porsche 956 you have is an excellent kit. Just going to take a lot of work as it's super detailed. the Sauber and Mazda are from that series. One thing I will spend considerable time on when I build each of those kits is to make sure that the rear engine deck fits perfectly so I can remove it as need be. In it's display case the deck on my 956 seats standing upright and off the car.

Good tip, Joel! Now I need to see how I'm going to remove that inopportune co-pilot seat.

Quoted Text

I'm looking forward to your build of the Lotus Europa, as anything Lotus interests me.

It is going to be disappointing, I guess It looks more like a slot car of sorts with bare detail. And for the first time I have to deal with what the owner claims to be rubber burns in the plastic.

Gabriel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 - 02:39 AM UTC
Gabriel,
That kit is already starting to really concern me. I sure hope you got a great deal on it.

Joel
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 - 11:21 AM UTC
Unhappily, the postman hasn't arrived with anything just yet - seems my packages, ordered from afar (Australia and Germany) are somewhere enroute, which is a common plight these days, so, no reason to whine; just to wait.

In the meantime, I haven't picked a new model project and I've been walking around my neighborhood more than usual - fairly important thing to do as most shops and public places are closed, and work, while ok, is odd, in that all is now done via webex etc. It works, we've been able to communicate and run a design process via the internet only! Our client is in another state, none of us have seen the site, or met in person in weeks, yet on we go and so far so good. Getting out is a nice break from the new normal.

Today - out into my neighborhood I went - it's an urban place that is usually bustling, and I guess it still sort of is, but 90% bikes and pedestrians! which is sort of nice too:

And oddly, rain one day, sunny the next - makes no sense, but, it's nice

Wow - it rained last night, bright and sunny today. This is not common for this time of year in the SF Bay Area. Something that is common though, bars and hot rods - we seem to have lots of both. It turns out because of social distancing, bars are only sort of open - you can order a cocktail to go - which would not even be thinkable two months ago - and, parking lots are becoming make-shift beer gardens! Yes, I was sitting down for a beer and burger when this rolled up:

How's that for a nice Chevelle? D???? It's an odd one though - the plaque on the fender says SS 427...hmmm? what's that about??

The guy dropped a 427 big block from a '68 Corvette into it - with two 4bbl carbs - auto trans, 12 bolt rear end with 3:73s, so it must have a high top end - naturally, they ordered some mai tais...so, in the times we live, we live.

As for the postman, I guess I'll keep waiting.

Stay well gents -

Nick
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 - 11:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How's that for a nice Chevelle? D????

Beautiful ride! Glad to see people out and about, but staying safe!

I was out walking yesterday and cam across this beauty!

It is a Holden HT Monaro (1970), beautifully restored. My first car was a HT Kingswood (4-door version of this), and my second car was a HK Monaro (1968 model, same body shape).

On the Postman theme, I did a little online shopping over the weekend and have a couple of packages heading my way which will surprise a few folks. Updates as they come to hand.

Cheers, D
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2020 - 06:27 AM UTC
You guys are a bad influence.

My first new auto kit in 10 years. And, a 2020 copywrite date too, opened it and smelled the new Tamiya plastic.

Kit looks like a winner inside the box, even if it is a curbside. Going to build it with the Leadfoot Gray scheme that was used at the Goodwood Festival in 2017. Indycals has already got a couple new sheets for it. May have to get another and do it as the Motorcraft one.

Number and gauge decals for the SCCA Mustang arrived today too.