The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Strip, Track & Trail - Race Theme Group Build
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
Auto Modeler: 409 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 - 10:58 AM UTC

Done![/quote]

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 - 09:13 PM UTC
Time to rev things up a bit here!

Another kit from my stash with a few images of the 1:1 for reference.

3 months to go before the flag drops, you guys need to get your pit crew straightened out and ready for action!

Cheers, D
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Auto Modeler: 555 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2019 - 01:33 PM UTC
Got a question on colors. The national racing colors are well represented in model paints. But how about sponsor colors; like Target Red and White, Penske Yellow, UPS Brown or even Valvoline Red/blue/dark blue? Are they in anyone's paint line? Those are usually matched and copyrighted colors. Or is it up to my own color perception?
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2019 - 10:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Got a question on colors. The national racing colors are well represented in model paints. But how about sponsor colors; like Target Red and White, Penske Yellow, UPS Brown or even Valvoline Red/blue/dark blue? Are they in anyone's paint line? Those are usually matched and copyrighted colors. Or is it up to my own color perception?

Hi Mark.

Companies like Zero Paints and Gravity seem to run a few of the specific colours, for example Zero UPS Brown, but for most I think you will need to eyeball match them.

Cheers, D
forest1000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 80 posts
Auto Modeler: 44 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2019 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Mark.

Companies like Zero Paints and Gravity seem to run a few of the specific colours, for example Zero UPS Brown, but for most I think you will need to eyeball match them.

Cheers, D

There's a website that will help with cross-reference to other colour systems defining numbers or letters. So if you know the pantone number or FS number etc., it can get a reasonable match for you in multiple company's colours, even FS numbers. Here's the site https://www.e-paint.co.uk/Colour_alternatives.asp

Dave
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Auto Modeler: 555 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2019 - 07:15 AM UTC
Thanks guys. I've book marked the e-color page. My #1 choice is the Target Reynard or Mark Martin's Valvoline Thunderbird. The Reynard is mostly Target red, I can probably eyeball that as almost any standard red. I'm more concerned about the Valvoline dark blue since I think the entire rear of the car has to be painted, no decal coverage.
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2019 - 08:22 PM UTC
Hello gents,

I haven’t forgotten about, or not noticed this group build - I just haven’t found the right project. I have a couple of race cars in my stash, and I’ve just started on one of them, but, my choices just haven’t really sparked my interest. But tonight I saw something that caught my eye for a potential project.

I subscribe to a few auto and race car feeds that pop up on my phone and saw a 1977 Ford F-150 drifter - whoa - it runs just over 900 HP, has a complete tube chassis, independent suspension, twin turbos, and really FAT tires! Wow - what a project! I couldn’t find a 77 kit, but Moebius makes a 72 (both have round headlights so close enough), I can use some tires and wheels from a Tamiya Calsonic Skyline, maybe some suspension and turbos from a Nissan R390 GT 1, an engine either from the junk box or the R390 (likely a mix) and like the Baja trucks I’ve built, I can scratch a tube chassis! Now that’s a project!

While this is clearly not meant for legal road driving, I don’t know if it’s a race car per-se. That said, it sure looks like a race car with sponsor decals all over it being the most subtle of the modifications. So - if it’s ok I’ll try and scratch/build kitbash the Ford as my entry. If not, I’ll just build it as a regular blog -

Merry Christmas happy new year and great model building to all in 2020!

Cheers
Nick
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2019 - 10:49 AM UTC
Hi Nick.

Are you talking about Ken Block's truck? I've seen the videos, especially the one from China, absolutely amazing vehicle and the guys has insane skills! I would love to see you put your skills to building a replica of that unit.

In my opinion, the hill climbs and time trials (like Pike's Peak) would still count as racing, as they are still based on getting from A to B the fastest (and without killing yourself or your ride on the way) even though the competitors aren't head-to-head. The drifters just add an "artistic" element to the deal with their choreographed cornering.

I will defer it to the boss here for final ruling.

Cheers, D

EDIT: For those who haven't seen it, strap in and HOLD ON!!
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2019 - 12:48 PM UTC
Hi D,

Yep, you guessed right! I’ll wait another few days and see if it’s ok to enter - if not, I’ll find something else for this GB -

Cheers and happy early new year!
Nick
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2019 - 01:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi D,

Yep, you guessed right! I’ll wait another few days and see if it’s ok to enter - if not, I’ll find something else for this GB -

Cheers and happy early new year!
Nick

We've got 3 months to sort out our builds for this one, I can't wait to see what surprises pop up!

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2020 - 10:58 AM UTC
A couple of new additions to the stash and some reference images for inspiration. Anybody else got some cool kits to add to the discussion?

Cheers, D
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - 12:19 PM UTC
One from my stash:-

Finally getting back to building!
Now if I can find all my parts for the blue oval build!
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Auto Modeler: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 - 01:23 PM UTC
Howdy Y'all
You guys look like you're having too much fun. Yesterday was my birthday and I've decided to do something different and join this campaign. Don't know what I'm going yet, I'll see what Hobby Lobby has in stock. I haven't built a plastic car kit since I was a teen. I've built a couple of die cast kits but we'll see if I can do a plastic kit.
Take care,
Don "Lakota"
2002hummer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 812 posts
Auto Modeler: 108 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 - 05:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy Y'all
You guys look like you're having too much fun. Yesterday was my birthday and I've decided to do something different and join this campaign. Don't know what I'm going yet, I'll see what Hobby Lobby has in stock. I haven't built a plastic car kit since I was a teen. I've built a couple of die cast kits but we'll see if I can do a plastic kit.
Take care,
Don "Lakota"

I see you mentioned die cast kits. I remember building (assembling)die cast kits when I was a kid, in the 60's. I can't remember who built them.The one I remember building was a Ford Model T pickup and a mid 30's Cadillac convertible. Anyone remember who made them?
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 - 05:57 PM UTC
G'day Don!

Best wishes for your birthday, I hope you had a great day and got spoiled by the family!

Great to see you checking out things in the world of Automodeler. You're spot on, we are having a lot of fun here and it will be great to see you joining in.

This Group Build starts on April 1, so you've got plenty of time to check out the options and find something that grabs you.

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 - 11:54 PM UTC
Don signing up brings us to 11 enlisted with about 10 weeks to get ourselves prepared.

Aussiereg (Damian) - enlisted - '55 Chev Pro Sportsman (Revell)
Joel_W (Joel) - enlisted - TBA (too many options to narrow it down just yet!)
Dixon66 (David) - enlisted - TBA
tinbanger (Richard) - enlisted - Funny Car + Vintage Circuit Racer
md72 (Mark) - enlisted - Chev Monte Carlo NASCAR (Jeff Gordon)
Szmann (Gabriel) - Chev Monte Carlo NASCAR (Tony Stewart)
Hwa-Rang (Jesper) - NASCAR (TBA)
PasiAhopelto (Pasi) - enlisted - TBA
forest1000 (David) - TBA
jimb (Jim) - enlisted - '57 Ford Sedan Gasser
Cosimodo (Michael) - enlisted - '60s Ferrari F1
bluebell914 (Patrick) - enlisted - Ferrari P4 or 512S
2002hummer (Darrell) - enlisted - Lotus Super Seven (Tamiya)
TacFireGuru (Mike) - enlisted - Chev Monte Carlo NASCAR (Home Depot)
Stickframe (Nick) - TBA
Lakota (Don) - enlisted - Seeking inspiration at the LHS
RedwingNev (Neil) - enlisted - TBA

Richard, I saw one of those 1/32 GT40s running as a slot car on the weekend. One of my regular LHSs has a monthly build day on a Saturday where everybody is welcome to bring along a kit that they are working on and sit at a huge bench with a bunch of fellow styrenoholics. They put on a BBQ with a gold coin donation going to a charity, this week was the bushfire appeal. They have 6 spray booths set up off an industrial compressor, ready to go. They also have a slot car circuit and a slot car drag strip for those that have a "Need for Speed" rather than a need for sitting still and relaxing.
There were about 15 builders there last Saturday, mostly doing Gundam or Armour, plus a couple of figure painters, and I went along to look over peoples shoulders and absorb the banter and observe the techniques.
The owner of SMS paints was there and we spent a lot of time working with some of the newcomers on airbrush techniques which was really good fun.
One of the newcomers to the hobby was an old school friend of mine, we haven't seen each other for about 20 years! He took up the hobby about 2 years ago after a work injury and is loving it.

Enough of my rambling. Lets keep the momentum going here with more pictures. Kits from the stash or 1:1 reference images, it's all inspiration.

Cheers, D
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 - 07:11 AM UTC
Damian my first work place had a large slot car track, a lot of the cars were purchased with clear vacuum formed body and custom built running gear added to them.

Here is a copy right free poke:-

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 - 11:52 AM UTC
Something a bit different for inspiration, here's one I built 10 years ago for the "Demolition Derby" Group Build run by VonCuda.

This one even made it into a local Scale Modeling magazine as part of a club feature! Good times. I have stayed in touch with Hermon from time to time via Facebook over the years, but haven't spoken with him for a while now.

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2020 - 12:21 PM UTC
Time for the weekly inspiration/bump/promo/indulgence post!

Since the last post was a MOPAR, I really need to get rid of the nervous twitch it created and throw in a Chevy, and it's a Tri-5 just to put the cream on the cake.

Another kit from the stash, a photo of the original, and a genuine 150 Black Widow that was saved from the wreckers crusher and restored beautifully!

This car was auctioned by Hemmings a few years ago, the story of the car and its restoration is worth a read HERE .

There is also a website dedicated to the 57 Chevy Black Widow which has some great information and images HERE

Cheers, D
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2020 - 01:49 PM UTC
That's a great car and story. Racing round the dunes must have been fun. Love the way they kept the original interiors to go racing, seems no thought of stripping it out to make it lighter.

cheers
Michael
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2020 - 11:11 PM UTC
We are up to 13 enlisted now with 7 weeks to go, if the Blue Oval is anything to go by, this one looks like it will throw out some super builds!

Aussiereg (Damian) - enlisted - '55 Chev Pro Sportsman (Revell)
Joel_W (Joel) - enlisted - TBA (too many options to narrow it down just yet!)
Dixon66 (David) - Definite possibility - TBA
tinbanger (Richard) - enlisted - 1914 Mercedes Racer (1/16 Lindberg kit) + Vintage Circuit Racer
md72 (Mark) - enlisted - Chev Monte Carlo NASCAR (Jeff Gordon)
Szmann (Gabriel) - enlisted - Chev Monte Carlo NASCAR (Tony Stewart)
Hwa-Rang (Jesper) - NASCAR (TBA)
PasiAhopelto (Pasi) - enlisted - TBA
forest1000 (David) - enlisted - TBA
jimb (Jim) - enlisted - '57 Ford Sedan Gasser
Cosimodo (Michael) - enlisted - Late 60's Porsche 917/20
bluebell914 (Patrick) - enlisted - Ferrari P4 or 512S
2002hummer (Darrell) - enlisted - Lotus Super Seven (Tamiya)
TacFireGuru (Mike) - enlisted - Chev Monte Carlo NASCAR (Home Depot)
Stickframe (Nick) - TBA
Lakota (Don) - enlisted - Seeking inspiration at the LHS
RedwingNev (Neil) - enlisted - TBA

If anybody has firmed up their proposed builds, or spotted anything wrong in the list, please let me know.

As always, feel free to post up some images or info for motivation here. I have also created a promotional thread in the "Kitmaker Modeling in General" forum HERE to try to lure a few participants from the other areas of interest.

Cheers, D
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 11:13 AM UTC
Hi Damian,
I have changed from a late 60's Ferrari to a Porsche 917/20.

cheers
Michael
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 06:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Damian,
I have changed from a late 60's Ferrari to a Porsche 917/20.

cheers
Michael

Noted and sorted!
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 - 06:14 AM UTC
Midget racer will not take up to much shelf space!

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 - 09:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Midget racer will not take up to much shelf space!

Not by itself, but I seem to recall a kit of this as part of a set with a trailer and tow vehicle!

Definitely a cool little racer, and I’m sure a lot of fun to blast around the circuit.

Cheers, D