The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Garage Queens 2020 Group Build
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 04:32 AM UTC
Getting closer & closer to getting the W900 off the Shelf of Shame! Got the cab & hood mounted today along with some small details (wipers, work lights, antennas, etc.). I still need to permanently mount the sleeper and paint & mount the 1/4 fenders.

So this has been a true modeling experience finishing this up. I've had parts fly off the model when trying to mount them (luckily landing in the model box), I had a part break, and it's even drawn blood!

Jim
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 11:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So this has been a true modeling experience finishing this up. I've had parts fly off the model when trying to mount them (luckily landing in the model box), I had a part break, and it's even drawn blood! Jim

Wouldn't the hobby be boring if things just went smoothly according to plan?

Looking good Jim, close to that finish line now.

I'm close to the line with my second Garage Queen for the year now as well, been tinkering away in the background.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 11:47 AM UTC
Jim,
She's looking more and more impressive with every update.
D,
your Charger really is starting to shine as she approaches the finish line.

Joel
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 12:18 AM UTC
Thanks, guys. Yes, it's always an adventure.

D., I like how your Charger is coming out. Isn't it amazing how much work we can get done during Social Isolation?

Jim
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 02:17 AM UTC
James,
For me I have no excuse. I have both retirement, and social isolation, and my work has slowed to a crawl. Go figure that one out.

Joel
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 09:07 AM UTC
That's a great looking Kenworth Jim, certainly worthy of coming down off the unfinished shelf.

Damin, nice blue on the Charger. Looks very close.

Cheers
Michael
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 12:04 AM UTC
Thanks, Michael. Hoping to get this finished up soon. I do have to say that I did not paint the cab/hood/sleeper. They were painted & striped by a friend of mine.

Jim
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 03:25 AM UTC
Another one on its way to the display shelf!

Technically, my third completed build for 2020, all Garage Queens ('59 Caddy, '71 Cuda, '67 Charger), so my master plan for this year to clean up as many WIP's as I can, hopefully 1 per month, is almost on track.

Next Garage Queen to hit the bench is the '67 GTO.

Cheers, D
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 07:59 AM UTC
great looking Charger, D. So you don't just do Chevrolets!

Jim
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 09:06 AM UTC
D,
As I just said, the Charger is one super build with a truly fantastic paint job. One of your very best. Now bring on that GTO and get her across your finish line too.

Joel
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2020 - 08:57 AM UTC
I started this Revell of Germany Kenworth W900 build back on 1 Dec 10, and after many trials & tribulations it languished on the Shelf of Shame until today! It's finally finished. The cab, hood, & sleeper were painted & striped by another modeler, the "Landstar Ranger" decals are from the KFS US Cab Artwork Set #1, blue Alcoa wheel decals are from Scale Truck Studios, and the air deflector is from the Revell of Germany Peterbilt 359 kit. Is it exactly how I envisioned it? No, but sometimes you just have to say enough is enough, and get the job done. I was going to try to finish it on its 10-year anniversary, but I got it done early.

The glass table top makes it look like it's driving on ice. A little Ice Road Truckers, anyone?

Jim
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2020 - 09:28 AM UTC
Jim,
I'm not a trucking kind of guy, but I certainly appreciate a beautifully built and finished model truck just like I do any plastic model car. And your Kenworth W900 is simply outstanding.

I do appreciate your giving "Landstar Ranger",the painter/striper full credit for his contribution to the build, as he did a fantastic job. Nothing wrong with accepting the help and skills of other modelers. Believe me, there's plenty of times I wish I lived near some of you guys.

Joel

jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2020 - 10:21 AM UTC
Thanks, Joel. Yes, he really did a nice job on the painting. Actually, he lives in Ohio, so I just told him what I wanted & mailed it to him.

Jim
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2020 - 12:17 PM UTC
Nice clean build Jim, your friend did a great job on the paint and striping.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2020 - 12:34 PM UTC
Thanks, David.

Jim
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2020 - 01:02 PM UTC
Beautiful build Jim, and a great job on the paintwork! Congrats on getting your 10-year build off the bench and on the display shelf.

I would love to see some more big rigs in the build lists here, I've got a couple to do so maybe it's time.

Cheers, D
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2020 - 09:27 PM UTC
James: just love those big rigs. 10 years! well it matured, like fine wine and looks amazing.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2020 - 09:29 PM UTC
Damian: The Charger looks amazing. Your best auto build, so far, I dare say.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2020 - 11:48 PM UTC
Thanks, guys, I appreciate the kind comments.

D, Yes, it was past time to get this one done & on the display shelf. And, yes, you should build a rig. Always happy to see more rigs being built, & I find Aussie rigs very interesting.

Jesper, well I would go so far as to say it's a "fine wine", but it's definitely not vinegar! Thanks for the compliment. So, when will we see a Scandinavian rig?

Jim
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 - 02:35 AM UTC
D,
While trucks aren't my "thing", we could propose a GB for all classes of trucks, but maybe not SUVs or Cross Overs. Just food for thought.

Joel
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 - 02:44 AM UTC
That's an idea. We should discuss this over on the Automodeler Group Build Themes Thread. I might be up for it depending on the timeframe.

Jim
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 - 01:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

D,
While trucks aren't my "thing", we could propose a GB for all classes of trucks, but maybe not SUVs or Cross Overs. Just food for thought.

Joel

Quoted Text

That's an idea. We should discuss this over on the Automodeler Group Build Themes Thread. I might be up for it depending on the timeframe.

It's already there guys, #10 on the list! I'm considering a proposal for a 12-month Big Rig Group Build to run July 2020 - June 2021, alongside the car Group Builds, and see who might be interested. I think the size and scope of the truck builds would call for a year-long effort.

Cheers, D
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 11:05 AM UTC
How about that! It's #10 on the list:

8. The Blue Oval - anything Ford (October 2019 - March 2020) - COMPLETED

9. Land of the Rising Sun - anything of Japanese manufacture

10. Big Rigs - Trucks rigid or articulated

11. The Early Years of Auto - anything manufactured prior to the start of WWII

12. Strip, Track and Trail - Drag strip, Race circuit or Rally track cars, bikes and trucks (April - September 2020)

I think a year long build will be appropriate, and depending on how I'm feeling with my chemotherapy treatments by then (started them today) I might or might not be interested, but that won't stop me from enjoying the great builds I know I'll see here.

Jim
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 12:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think a year long build will be appropriate, and depending on how I'm feeling with my chemotherapy treatments by then (started them today) I might or might not be interested, but that won't stop me from enjoying the great builds I know I'll see here.

Jim

Hi Jim. Best of luck with the chemo mate, I hope it doesn't keep you away from the bench too much!

I just took a little time to read back through the most recent Truck Group Build, a couple of years back now with 8 completed builds over a 9 month run time. I'm thinking that perhaps we have enough going on at the moment and a July start is too soon.

I will start a dedicated discussion thread for "Big Rigs" to get things rolling, and I'm even thinking that an annual year long Group Build thread, running Jan-Dec alongside the Garage Queens, might work. It could include new builds and started kits, and might encourage a few builders to post where they might not want to create their own thread.

Cheers, D
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 12:35 PM UTC
Thanks, D, I appreciate it. I had my first treatment today, and went straight to the bench when I got home.

There were actually two truck campaigns. I ran "Keep On Truckin!" from January 1st, 2008, through September 1st, 2008; and Bob Chawgo (old-dragon) ran "OTR" from May 1st, 2010, through May 1st, 2011. OTR had 14 participants, but I don't know how many actually finished.

Jim