The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Comercial Vehicle Campaign?
okdoky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Auto Modeler: 63 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 02:50 PM UTC
Hi there

Made a start today on the Fujimi 1/32 Canter cab with scratch built mini skip loading equipment. I was hoping to give this to my brother as an Xmas present but it is likely that it might be the bare fabric by that time with a promise to complete.

It will be the thought that counts (I hope) and it spurs me on to submit something as update for campaign. Hope you like so far.

I haven't worked in 1/32 for a long while but the fujimi casting are really crisp and cleanly detailed.

Dry fitting of parts was easy even though instructions in Japanese.

I have decided to scribe out the driver's door to place in open.

Soft plastic was easy to scribe

Will hopefully be easy to make up fixed hinges to show door

Chassis tail was cut down a fraction, just behind rear leaf spring hangers to match Cabstar's chassis

Front wheels are poseable and the tyres are a lovely rubber representation of Yokohama tyres.

Skip loader subframe was made up on plasticard sheet with temporary fixing to ensure parallel frames. Metal pensil sharpner was useful for keeping frames square internally.

Sub frame dry fit to chassis brackets to check progress.

How I left it tonight

It has been a very very pleasant model to build even though I was initially disapointed it was 1/32 when it was advertised as 1/24.

Seasons greatings to all
Nige
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 03:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

. . . Last week my auction treasure has arrived! The old Revell Chevy Stake Truck; one "build" and one unbuilded. Needless to say I'm gonna build the kit. The builded truck gives a good idea why the seller stopped modelling :-)...
Than again, always trying to learn from the mistakes of others, I took a good look at the truck looking for the traps. Interesting thing came up, like the part numbers are actually on the parts itself (also showing on the outside, including brandname and copyright sign...) and no windows in the vehicle!
Auch! I gonna have to make windows for this vehicle. Doors won't be a problem, but how I'm gonna manage the front windscreen? Well, I have until january to figure that out... Any ideas?

I have the AMT/ERTL '55 Chevy stepside with wind shield. What is the measurements of your model's wind shield opening?

okdoky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 01:04 PM UTC
Hi there

More work done tonight but not going to make xmas deadling for any paintwork or detailing hoses etc. I will have to write my brother that promisary note after all.

Started on the mini skips and made four

Still got the lugs to make for lifting chains to hitch to

Mini skips would make a nice addition to a modern military scene too and are dead easy to make

I forgot to take all necessary sizes on the loading arms so set this jig up to check by eye against photos and for operation

Got the sizes and angles first time with no hitch

arm sits nicely in over the middle of the skips

Making up the loader hydraulic arms was next with BARVS heating and moulding process (it worked) to make the pivot points and to make a tighter fit on the pistons

The plastic from used cotton buds (minus ear wax) was used a lot for piston rams. pivots and chain bar

Arm hinge points added and allowed to set well

Even without hydraulic arms the load arm sits nicely but moves easily

Skips sit nicely on frame

Truck is really taking shape now

Hope you like

All the best
Nige
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 11:45 AM UTC
KoSprueOne, may I direct you to this site's pages...especially pages 4 and 5!
http://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/model_magazine_articles/car_modeller/cm28_nov_1994_conve/

...heck, check out the rest of the site too!{get comfy if you do!!! }
I already hacked mine and started widening the fenders and grill...am doing the same to a 55" ford{same priciple}
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 04:48 PM UTC
Wow that is an excellent find! Thanks.
The cab and windshield look the same in the picture. I wonder if the windshield from my AMT/ERTL chevy pick up can be used into the Revell truck that 007 is looking at. What scale is the Revell truck?

KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Auto Modeler: 112 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 09:36 PM UTC
Hi KoSprueOne,

Thanks for the nice offer!
The truck is somewhere between 1:45 and 1:50 scale. I'm afraid the windshield you have is 1:24 / 1:25? If so, than that won't fit.
But I try to cut a fitting windshield out of a clear and flexible styrene sheet.

Paul

BTW Merry Christmas to all civilian builders!!!!!!!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 06:41 PM UTC
KoSprueOne, that revell is a 1/48th scale truck{O scale} and won't intermix with any 1/25 or 1/24 scale kit.
Glad you like the find...there's some neat trailer builds/rebuilds on that site. As for Chevy loadmaster tractors, do a google search and you'll find pics and literature...the GMC version is really easy to build! I won a 60' chevy on ebay to be built as a tractor later on...I'm going to need afew donor frames I think!
AaronW
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 05:17 PM UTC
Well I couldn't help myself. I started some of the clean up work on the cab last night (hey its resin I need a head start) . Filled in some of the air bubbles, opened the slots on the grill and shot a coat of Primer today.
okdoky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 07:12 PM UTC
Photos of 1/24 Ford Transit as it currently stands

The cable runs to the walkman earphones inside to have music blaring from it.

Not happy with corner frames at rear
Back panel is the interior panel between load and cab moved to rear at cut and fitted fine

I still can't remember the kit the dual wheels came from (will find out when I go to build it someday)

Have to find the plans and remainder of parts so that I can get down to rebuild of certain areas etc

Nige

Nige
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2007 - 03:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The cable runs to the walkman earphones inside to have music blaring from it.

Now that's a great detail!!!
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2007 - 07:20 AM UTC
Hey, Nige! You'd better slow down or your going to be finished before the campaign gets started!

Speaking of getting started on the campaign, I hope everyone has something lined up for the campaign by now. I've got my 1976 GMC Astro ready to go.

Here's to a fun campaign. Maybe I'll get an award designed sometime before June!

Jim
okdoky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2007 - 08:01 AM UTC
Hi there

Sorry,,,,,,,,,,Getting back at work will put a kybosh on speed of builds again. Anyhow, the Transit was the one that had to get the cob webs blown off it. It has been in the unfinished heap the longest and is so neglegted I am having bother finding my plans and reference stuff.

If you speak to my pal that does the Rally cars he will tell you how he nearly fainted to see me get so much build time in over the hols. More done than in the year as a whole!

Nige
okdoky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 02:38 PM UTC
Hi there

Has been too cold and windy hear in Scotland to do much in the shed without gas for my heater but wrapped well and did a little bit to justify my existance tonight.

Transit build
Gave the Transit van a bit of a bashing at the weekend and then dunked it in a biscuit box full of brake fluid,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then had to dive about franticly looking for the plastic biscuit box I have used before when i suddenly remembered the tin box seams are not watertight. Silly bugger. The tin one is the one I use for spraying Mr Muscle in.

It looked like the soak had taken effect with me turning it occasionally over the week

How to get SWMBO totally anoyed,,,,,,,,,,,,,make a mess of the sink

The cab is going back in the brake fluid cause the cab did not soak up as much as I first thought even with a good hard scrub with the toothbrush

Parts all broken down again

Skip motor build
Added the lugs to the skips for the chains. Will try to sand the top and bottom edges off each to give them their shape

Also found some very fine netting from a craft shop for card makers and it is a lovely orange colour

Nige
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2008 - 01:39 AM UTC
What a mess! Starting to look good though. This little truck is coming together nicely.

I'm hoping to post some WIP pics of my GMC Astro this weekend. Cold here in CNY, so not much painting getting done either.

Anybody else working on their projects?

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 04:38 PM UTC
Ever here of "too many irons in the fire"? I'm kinda living it...building on the 55' chevy semi tractor, the DAF95, the needlenose Pete, the DodgeL700 REA delivery flatbed truck and just for laughs{cause I didn't have enough to do apparently} I started a 60' chevy semi tractor. Somewhere In there I'm supposed to build a garbage truck as well...and we just hit overtime at the factory.......I love it{also need a bigger workbench!!!}

...oh, forgot, I need to button up the Astro too.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 02:59 AM UTC
Hey, where are we supposed to post progress pics? Here?..or elsewhere?
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 03:41 PM UTC
I started my own WIP thread, which (by the way) has come to a screeching halt. I just thought by starting a separate build log it would b easier to track progress of the individual trucks without causing too much confusion.

Jim
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Auto Modeler: 59 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 09:54 AM UTC
I finished my Peterbilt truck I assembled for my 3 year old son. It took us a couple hours, but he had fun.

This is what I started with, and it was difficult to get photos of the truck without my son in the shot. As you can tell, he is tickled to death.

I did not see a campaign gallery to upload my photograph and I have not been able to upload any photos into my own gallery for quite some time.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 01:22 PM UTC
Sabot,

That's one happy little boy! And the truck is nice, too. Maybe I'll do one for my 3 year old. Nice idea.

The gallery is under "Keep on Truckin'!" The campaign had a name change when it was finalized. It's there, some where. I've been to it. Here's the link:

http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/20877

Too bad I cannot get the Campaign Ribbon to show up on the Campaign page. It's i the gallery if anyone's interested.

Jim
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Auto Modeler: 59 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 05:13 PM UTC
Actually, I haven't been able to upload any photos in quite some time. i think my old motor pool photos and campaigns I ran in the past are counting against my total gallery space. It would be too much of a shame to delete what's left of my motor pool photos or folks' old completed campaign entries just so i can upload a shot or two of a model I built for a campaign. No big deal.
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:32 PM UTC
Great pictures Sabot! And indeed a very happy kid over there!

I got sidetracked with this campaign after I had some problems with spraying my van.
With 2 days of free time on my hands, I guess I give it a go again, today or tomorrow.

For the gallery upload problems; check the ammount of space left in the gallery (the green/red bar in top of the screen when you press the upload button). It tells you how much space is left in the gallery.
Perhaps a staff member can re-locate the motorpool pictures for you so you have more space?
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 04:13 AM UTC
Hi all,
Now that I back to building, I'd like to get involved in this one. Would a plain-jane Ford Lightning pickup count or does it have to have company logos on it? If so, would a custom license plate with a company name count? If so, I'm in.

Dave
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 04:42 AM UTC
Dave,

It really should be some sort of a work truck. It can be a truck for a landscape company, or converted into a service truck (or Roach Coach).

Jim
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 09:01 AM UTC
Alrighty then. How about "magnetic signs" on the doors for an auto parts store? If not, I may have something else in the stash to make happen. I'm not signing up until I've had a chance to go through the cabinets. Still got a couple of months to get one done.

Dave
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:05 AM UTC
Today I had the whole afternoon for modelling. So, finally take some time for my first planned entry in this campaign; the 1:32 scale '85 Daihatsu Mira Walkthrough Van from ARII:

A few weeks ago I tried to spray it with a rattle can of Tamiya Yellow (an old one I had in my garage for a few years...). Bad thinking!!!!!

The paint did not cover nicely and a orange skin appeared. Should have known bether...

So on the pictures below you can see some remaining yellow paint.
Also you can see I cutted the back door open. I had planned to cut the front door open also, but while cutting out the back door I noticed the styreen of this kit is very hard and brake off easy.
So, I'm afraid cutting out the front door would become a disaster. Unless ofcourse I build an entire new front door... Mmmmm....

The dashboard is painted in a real 'eighties' color

The wheels:

I decided to build the van as it come; like some sort of delivery van for ink-fish.
To make some cargo I scanned the ink-fish logo from the decals in my computer and I draw a simple box layout using a graphics program (actually, the good old 'Paint').
Than I pasted the ink-fish logo in the box drawing, did some editting and printed it on a brownish paper.
Now I just have to cut them out and glue it with Kids-glue and I have boxes full of (frozen or dried?) ink-fish!!!

Hope you all liked it this far!