Trucks
Scale truck modeling topics.
Emergency Vehicle Build anyone up for one??
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 02:08 PM UTC
That's a great site. Been there a couple of times already.

Picked up my AMT American-LaFrance Pumper today. Looking forward to this. Never done a fire truck before, so this should be interesting.

I guess this means we're not getting a campaign ribbon?

Jim
matt
Staff MemberGroup Build Administrator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Auto Modeler: 160 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 12:22 AM UTC
Guess not for this one.... Doesn't seem to be enought intrest.......
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 11:04 AM UTC
Bummer. Maybe we can "recruit" some guys from The Scale Fire House.

Jim
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 11:08 AM UTC

Campaign ribbon or no, I'm still in.

I think I'm going to use one of the AMT Joker Goon Car/GCPD kits in my stash for this build. I'm pretty sure I have some old decals from JoHan's '68 Plymouth in the spares box, and maybe I'll pilfer that Federal Twinsonic look-alike lightbar from the recent AMT '75 Blazer kit, and cook up a generic county sheriff's rig.

Or maybe I should just build it as a Gotham City Police unit. The kit decals are somewhat nice, although I'm not sure that I want to build a black-n-white.

-YL
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Auto Modeler: 59 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 02:11 AM UTC
I have an Italeri Fire Jeep in 1/24 scale. I think it would fit the theme.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 03:13 AM UTC
Campaign Ribbon or no, I'm in too! I'm looking forward to my American LaFrance pumper build. The only question I have to answer is do I want to do box stock 1000 Century series, or do I want to do the Ward LaFrance from "Emergency!". Maybe both!

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 07:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Campaign Ribbon or no, I'm in too! I'm looking forward to my American LaFrance pumper build. The only question I have to answer is do I want to do box stock 1000 Century series, or do I want to do the Ward LaFrance from "Emergency!". Maybe both!

Jim

I always liked the open cab ALF's...don't know why. I did a google search last night on MR mack fire engines and found a nice site{firetrucks of newyork.com I think}...they had quite a few ALFs especially in the private owners section. "Webshots" had a few MR pics too and plenty of ALFs. I have a few ford C cab fire truck postcards, but I'd rather build an MR mack{I just need all the wiper gear, badging and mirrors!}.

Oh, another one I saw that I liked was a 74' ALF Pioneer 1000/750...a simple straight sided cab.
matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 02:51 AM UTC
I've got a couple of diecast coming too that I might try doing a few things with as well..... Some of the model kits are MIA... so why not try working with diecast as well.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 06:06 PM UTC

Diecasts would be a cool addition.

Any limits on a) what we can start with and b) what we end up with, as long as it's an emergency vehicle?

-YL
matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 09:57 PM UTC
Models... self explanitory...........
Diecast...... I'd say a repaint would be dead minimum..... addition of lightbars interior accy's ( if the scale allows) Conversion/Combining of diecast to make another variant.

There is a gentlman on Scalefirehouse that does just that with diecast he makes alot of "hypothetical" USDA firefighting equipment.
casper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 395 posts
Auto Modeler: 107 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 01:33 AM UTC
Hi all,
Well I'll be in for this one, works a bit slow and I've got 30+ days A/L to get rid of (yay some playtime).
Still can't decide which vehicle I'll do so have just laminated up two sets of wooden blocks for master patterns ready for vac-forming one of each, which ever comes out best will be the build , all I'll say is that they are both from the same stable and "Best of British" .
Looking forward to see what everyone else is up to.
Modelbouwerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 794 posts
Auto Modeler: 179 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 03:09 AM UTC
So guy's,
are we starting tomorrow on this group build or not?
Campaign or not?
And if yes, 9 months buildingtime?
And who will give the start?

Erikssson.
matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 08:14 AM UTC
Group Build......... and yeah Go for tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

I'm starting to get pissed....... my Hmmwv's are still not shipped.............. About to tell them I want a damn refund......
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 02:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm starting to get pissed....... my Hmmwv's are still not shipped.............. About to tell them I want a damn refund......

If I may...who's the culprit?
"great something" has been looking for a porshe 917 for me for the last two months...says they have it ,somewhere...............ok - so why don't I?!
matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 04:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If I may...who's the culprit?
"great something" has been looking for a porshe 917 for me for the last two months...says they have it ,somewhere...............ok - so why don't I?!

"1st Hobby Model" on ebay.................. I'm begining to think if they're in HK and it's not Lucky Model don;t chance it.........
matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 02:16 AM UTC
And We're Off

I'm awaiting the Diecast to show up for reconfiguring. I have several other projects to get going as well. (Not so sure about the hmmwv's yet thought...ARRRGH
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 07:40 PM UTC
WARNING: Long post ahead.

In the spirit of starting work on this group build, I rummaged through my stash and did a little head scratching. I've narrowed the project down to two possibilities: AMT/Ertl's 1996 Chevy Tahoe (Snapfast) or Revell's 1991 Chevy Caprice (SnapTite). Strangely, I wasn't feeling the love for the previously mentioned '78 Plymouth build, so it's back in the stash for the moment.

I decided a few days ago to make this a custom build, as opposed to trying to replicate a unit from a specific department or agency. There were two reasons for this, one of them being the fact that I have some inkjet decal paper sitting on my desk and I've been dying to try it out. I spent a few hours this evening drawing up some pretty decent (and very fictional) county sheriff's markings on MS Publisher (!), and printed up a test run. They look nice, so after the Glosscote dries, I'll try a few out to see how they work. BTW, I sized the markings to fit both the Tahoe and the Caprice.

The Tahoe would be built as a K9 or other special services unit (Search & Rescue perhaps?), while the Caprice would be a regular deputy's car. The Caprice is a very straightforward build, as it is a dedicated police car model and there is very little to add. The Tahoe is going to take some extra work, including some parts swapping and a fair bit of scratchbuilding. I'm leaning towards the Caprice at the moment, since it's been in my stash for many years, while the Tahoe is a more recent addition. But the Tahoe would be a fun project, even if it is more complicated.

Actually, there IS a third option, and it fits in somehwere between the Caprice and the Tahoe. I have a 1:24 diecast - another Caprice - made in China and bought on eBay sometime in 2003. It's done up in black & white Los Angeles County Sheriff livery, and has been sitting on a shelf for the past 5 years. It's a nice replica, with good parts, decent chrome and nice tampo printed markings. The interior is pretty bare, though, with no cage and only a small radio console up front. I like it, but I'm not attached to it, so I've been toying with the idea of ripping it apart and redoing it a bit - detailing the lightbar, painting all the black window trim, polishing the paint, adding a cage and some gear to the interior, etc. It wouldn't be too hard to throw a repaint into the mix and add those custom sheriff's decals to finish her off.

Realistically, I will only be able to finish one of the projects in time. So if you have any input on which one you would build, feel free to let me know. I can't guarantee I'll go with the "most voted", but I am interested to see what you folks think.

-YL
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 03:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm begining to think if they're in HK and it's not Lucky Model don;t chance it.........

3 ebay models I've ordered from HK have taken over a week{usually just over} to get here. I agree about LM...they're good and reasonably priced especially when they have a sale. I've ran green paper cover and no insurance and had no problems yet....yet! Can said ebayer provide a tracking number? Did they comfirm the item being shipped yet?
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 03:46 PM UTC
YL, good for you for thinking outside of the {kit}box! While modeling a specific "real" vehicle can be interesting and rewarding, I've seen some folks do far better making up they're own "fictional" piece.
I've got an old early AIT{probably earlier than that} Mack MR firetruck cab and interior...need to get ahold of Dave N. and see if he has the wipers or mirrors for it still. Another option would be a ford C cab on an ALF chassis{have 3 amt us mail kits just for the trailers...gotta do something with the cabs I guess}. I have a spare L700 cab but that would be a real fictional piece{especially if I do it as a dual drive} or a copy of a real dodge A100 firevan{I have a resin jimmy flintstone A100 van}.........hmmmm, many things to think about here!
matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 12:06 AM UTC
I finally got tracking numbers today 2 weeks after I paid for them. They were supposedly short shipped from the supplier..............
matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 12:11 AM UTC
The First diecast showed up last night....... awaiting 2 more....... and a trailer kit.
Modelbouwerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 02:41 AM UTC
Hé guys.
Are we already building?
My project will be starting within two weeks.
I finaly found my kit.
The Peterbilt Wrecker from Revell Germany.
Kit 7541.

This one.

See you.

Erikssson.
matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 02:46 AM UTC
After watning the episode of "Wrecked" last night They (on the show) do consider Wreckers as "First Responders" so that kinda backs up my PM on the subject.

http://www.speedtv.com/programs/wrecked/
Modelbouwerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 10:46 AM UTC
Well Matt,
the Peterbilt Wrecker stood a long time on my wishlist.
That's why I entered the group build.
Now it's time to build the beast.
He is pretty big you know?

Erikssson.
matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 02:38 PM UTC
It does look like a nice kit, that's for sure it Kinda makes me want to try to find one!!!