Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
1 week auto build
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 09:08 AM UTC
Great work Mike you should get the speed award, i bet you could finish a second kit before anyone else has finished their first.
modelguy2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Auto Modeler: 78 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 09:12 AM UTC
That might be true if I had another. I did get one off ebay this past weekend-we'll have to see when it gets here?
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 07:08 PM UTC
Your Porsche looks great Mike. You work just as fast as the Porsche can go.

I primed the inside of the hood, the undercariage, engine and various small parts. Ran into problems last night. I bought a can of flat black. Same brand as I have used in years for primer, with no problems. Usually one coat is enough, but the first coat didn't cover, so I have to give it a second coat tonight. Either they have changed the formula or the Jo-han plastic doesn't "recieve" the paint well. Anyway, it sets me back a bit.

The wheels/tires that come with the kit, doesn't look good.So I found some wheels/tires, in my spare parts. American racing wheels from Monogram's '70 Plymouth GTX. I think they wiil look good on the Olds.
matt
Staff MemberGroup Build Administrator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Auto Modeler: 160 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 12:16 AM UTC
EH forgot the pics......... Chassis is assembles and has the black paint on it. I'll have to carefully do the Exhaust by hand. most of the other parts are assembled and awating paint prior to the next assembly steps.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 04:38 PM UTC

I'm havin' fun on this quick-style build! Everybody has made some great choices for subjects, too.Mopar, GM, Porsche...almost a Ford .

You guys are doing great!

I wanna see more pix! So, drop em here or start a build log. Let's see some technique!

Cuhail
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:00 PM UTC
Gave the interior, and various parts a second coat of primer last night. My plan for tonight is to finish the interior, paint the engine and take a few pics.
modelguy2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 02:34 PM UTC
Well I found one in the closet after dinner. An old Entex 1/18 MGTC molded in glorious color As you can see from the photos I had some trouble with the frame being warped. One of the front hubs was missing the spindle so I made one from toothpick pinned with brass rod. The body was molded in the red engine color. I used tamiya British Green, I can't recommend Tamiya spray laquers enough. I spray them through my airbrush. They have a great sheen and dry to workable in about 1/2 hour. This will be a challenge because there's a lot of Chrome parts I was saving this for an all out build but I think I may be able to assemble it yet leave the ability to plumb it out at a later date.

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 10:56 PM UTC
The paintjob on the MG looks great Mike.
I have thought about trying the Tamiya spray laquers. How well do they spray from the can?
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 11:04 PM UTC
Here's an update on my progress.
I have finished the interior, primed the body(in need of minor polishing) prebed the wheels/tires, painted the firsts, of probably two, coats of home brewed engine color. I have some small parts ready to be glued to the enginem when the second coat is dry.
The body color will be Humbrols antique bronze.
Tonight there is a big christmas party at work, so I won't be doing any modeling until saturday(When my hangovers allow me to model )
Happy modeling guys.

rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 05:58 AM UTC
That MG looks great Mike, large scale should give you plenty of room for of details, glad to see your post Jesper i was begining to wonder if you were getting any work done , that's an interesting color for the engine.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 07:51 AM UTC
Good to see the Olds, Jesper. Oh, those huge locator tabs on the rear of the interior bucket sure bring back memories!

Re: Tamiya Color in spray cans. At first, I was doubtful, since I'm a tried-n-true Testors enamels kinda guy, having painted with them from the start. But I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the Tamiya spray bombs. The paint goes on well, covers great, dries quickly and has a very nice, even gloss when finished. Did I mention they dry quickly? (Very important to someone who usually waits a few days before handling an enamel paint job!) They also come in a good range of colors. I will be painting the Duster with them, as soon as I settle on the proper hue.

I've found two downsides, though. One is the smell. I'm not sure if these are true lacquers, but they sure do stink like the old stuff. I added an extra fan to the hobby room to help clear the fumes while drying. The other bugaboo is cost. The LHS stocks them, but they're not cheap at 6.50 USD per can. Seeing that a can of Model Master spray goes for 4.50 USD each, well...you can see that it adds up after you've bought a few Tamiya sprays.

Overall, I like them. If you haven't used them you should give them a try.

Mike, the MG looks good. Bummer about the frame, though.

-YL
modelguy2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 02:50 PM UTC
MG update.
Got the interior painted this afternoon and assembled the frame, engine and exhaust. Sprayed some aluminum on the wheels and just assembling ods n ends. Frame twist was not a factor but not the only "bummer" either. The hood is assembled with metal hinges and worked great until i tested the fit to the cowl. No go. The hood sat proud angling straight from the centerline hinge instead of the downward slant that would match the cowl. I tried to bend it to fit to no avail so it looks like the hood is going to have to be glued shut. Shame because I wanted to plumb the engine sometime in the future-unusual for me. Normally I build just enough engine to get the build finished and looking good from underneath if it's not a curbside model. I realise that many prefer fully detailed engine bays but in whatever genre I'm building-air, armor or auto I prefer the aesthetic lines of the vehicle-this is the reason I choose to build what iI do. Some build solely because of the mechanics and love to detail engines and the like. For me-give me a beautiful design....ahhh
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 03:14 PM UTC
reply to modelguy2

Dude! You build it how YOU like it. You have no reason to try to impress us. Modeling is a very personal hobby (Despite the "group build" we are participating in) and you should do it to please you.
If you dig the aesthetic lines and such, put your effort in that. Right on!

Cuhail
modelguy2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 04:35 AM UTC
Looks like I'm on schedule

rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 06:34 AM UTC
Great work Mike, ok you are the king of speed in model building and to boot your work looks great.
modelguy2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 07:19 AM UTC
Thanks Robert,
Finished 2PM Saturday

matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 11:04 AM UTC
Hoping mine will be painted by tomorrow nite..... UGHHHHHHH subassemblies are done.. waiting on the body to get it's white paint............
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 12:39 PM UTC

@ Mike- Hey that little convertible is a gem! Came out very very nice. 2 builds in a week. Nice job, brotha!

@ Matt- Hang in there man, we all want to see it done. I like firetrucks!

I finished the body tonite, myself. Finishing up the engine. I'm going with stock exhaust manifolds due to time constraints. No biggie. I just have to whip up the wheels, slap it all together and done-o-roony!

Cuhail
matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 12:56 PM UTC
the de chromed parts are drying now.... Hopefully I can get them painted.......
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 06:34 AM UTC
Mike: Like the look of that MG.

Robert: Before I did a bit of research, I would have thought the right engine color should be gold, but almost all of the 1970 442 engines I have found on the net, are a medium metalic blue. I have tried to replicate the color, mixing a few Humbrol enamels. Mine turned out a bit light, but I can live with that

rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 09:58 AM UTC
You are correct Jesper they were a metallic blue very close to the Pontiac blue metallic but just a bit darker for your next Olds try Testors Pontiac blue metallic and just add a few drops of dark blue paint that should get you very close, and it was not a nit picking on your color joice it looks good to me.
matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 11:06 AM UTC
I's discovered a problem in my build....... Having done armor for so long I have NO GLOSSCOAT left...... it's now 18:00 and the LHS for me is over a hour away and CLOSED..... the last little bit of Cash I have has to last me 2 nights of drinking this week.... UGH
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 03:18 PM UTC
Sorry to hear about your problem Matt don't sweat it just do the best you can and post some pics of your progress when you get a chance and remember this should be fun not work besides i don't think i am going to make the deadline and i started this build.
matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 03:33 PM UTC
Yeah I'm determined to get this done.... So I'm gonna order the stuff when I get paid on the 15th... the decals and some glosscoat........ I'll have it ready for that before then hehe
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:58 PM UTC
Didn't make the deadline, but I'm fairly pleased with the amount of work I did in only 1 week.

Finished the engine and tires last night. Next step is the body color. Won't have time to do that one untill saturday.