_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
1 week auto build
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 10:40 AM UTC
I am curious if anybody would be interested in a one week auto build it need not be a campaign you can use any auto no afternarket parts (no bare metal foil or wires) but you can use parts from other kits this would keep the cost down and make it a fun and simple way to finish a kit, and i hope generate more interest in automodeler any and all comments welcome.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 10:44 AM UTC

I'm in. I got a POS Riviera I can totally rip out in a week. When do ya wanna start? Monday after Thanksgiving?
I'm all for it!

Cuhail
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 12:31 PM UTC
Murph i would like to start this build as soon as we get about 5 people interested that would make it really interesting, so far we have 2 me and you i am hoping to see Jesper and Yoni on this list hint! hint! and any one else who's interested.
modelguy2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Auto Modeler: 78 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 01:04 PM UTC
Allright-let's get it in gear then
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 03:19 PM UTC

How about instead of limiting extras like BMF and wiring, we limit it to the buying of aftermarket parts for the vehicle.
I have much of what you label as "Aftermarket" stuff already in my possession.
Like, I already have BMF in 3 textures in stores at the bench. As well as wiring and tubing used for spark plug wires and hoses.
I know it will have to be on an honor system and a promise not to purchase AM parts for the build, but, if I'm going to build a car model and put it in the cabinet, I want it to look good.
Am I right?

Cuhail
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 03:30 PM UTC
Murph i really don't have a problem using BMF or wireing i just said that to make it easy for those who don't have it and to speed up the build but if you can do all that in a 7 day build it's okay with me, lets hear what some others have to say about it, and glad to have you aboard Mike that makes 3 a few more and we are there.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 10:55 PM UTC
I doubt I can build anything in a week, but I'm willing to give it a try
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 01:37 AM UTC
Glad to hear you are with us Jesper that makes 4, i know you can get it done and here is my plan for finishing a one week build. 1. wet sand the body and paint do this first so you have 5 days to let the paint dry i am am going to bypass the primer. 2. interior pick a one color interior like black and keep it simple no aftermarket PE or resin allowed this will save time. 3. engine and chassis again keep it simple don't try to put in brake lines or modify the chassis, engine just brush paint a color you have in stock and do nice clean assemble if you want you can wire the engine but this takes time and time you may not have. 4. final assembly your paint should be dry by now so have fun and finish her up, for the fast builders make all the mods you want for the rest of us mortals keep it as close to box stock as you can, you can even paint your chrome trim and above all have fun it' just a pile of plastic. I am going with Murph's idea of the start date as the Monday after Thanksgiving this should give us plenty of time to get your kit and setup your supplies i hope we get a few more people involved but we go either way.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 02:58 AM UTC

ONE MORE!!!

Yeah, we can totally do this.
Good plan Rob. That's a good itinerary for a quick build. I think I'll follow that plan. I'd like to knock out the body first because it's my weakest skill.
I have two cars in the stash that'll work out. I have that 65 Riv by AMT (blech!) and I have the AMT 69 Trans-Am that I could whip out too.
Wow, I'm going to have to set aside the Railtank I've been working on which is spread out all over the bench. Meh, I have to wait for some parts anyway.

So, start time ONE WEEK FROM TODAY!

Just one more guy (or girl ) so, get the word out! Maybe we can get MORE than 5 builders, huh?

Cuhail
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 02:58 AM UTC
Monday after thanksgiving is fine with me.
Your plan sounds good to me Robert.
matt
Staff MemberGroup Build Administrator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Auto Modeler: 160 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 03:14 AM UTC
I've got one that has some minor assembly on it....... that I'd do as a challenge to finish in a week and seeing as how Murph has been bugging about 1/24 stuff with me... HEHE

The engine is assembled.. and the body was started to be "shaved" if y'all will let me I'd be willing!!!
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 03:58 AM UTC
i don't have a problem with it Matt as long as most of the kit is undone and every body else is okay with it, but guys and maybe gals lets keep these kits unstarted, so we go on Monday i myself have 2 kits to choose from the old mpc Indy pace car and the new Revell 1969 Chevy Nova the pace car has a lot fewer parts but won't fit as good as the Revell Nova.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 05:03 AM UTC

Rob, don't worry about Matt, even if just started, that's pretty much "from the opening of the box".

I have no problem with Matt starting from the "almost" beginning. No problem by me.

Cuhail
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 05:47 AM UTC
As i said i am okay with Matt using a started kit but keep in mind i if this build goes well next month i was thinking about doing a one week build for started kits and i like most other car modelers have several of those, just something to think about.
matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 06:25 AM UTC
hehe started kits...... all but 4 of my 1/24 or 1/25 kits are started.... the not started ones are : 2 1/24 Galaxie Ltd trailers, 1 Trump ALF Eagle and 1 revell Truck....... hmmmmmmm maybe I could do the truck as a Fire Dept Support truck...... HMMMMMMMM

Not like I keep a inventory list with me here at work (all though I prolly should)
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 07:40 AM UTC

Well, I have a few kits in my stash that are untouched (i.e., not started), so if you have room for one more...

I think that AMT '62 Bel Air is calling my name.

-YL
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 08:37 AM UTC
Glad to have you Yoni and that Belair kit is a good one from what i have read, Matt it's up to you i would prefer unbuilt but if you have a truck that's okay to, it looks like we have enough so start collecting your kits and supplies this should be interesting, i am going with the Rvell Nova.
matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 08:41 AM UTC
Think I will do the truck.... sans the FD markings but it'll be the white and stripes...
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 06:50 PM UTC
I'm not sure what to build. I have two very old Frog kit's. One of those might be the one to build. They are both curbside models
Optional I have a Revell Mustang.
Browsed through my spare parts yesterday, to see if I could scrape up an entire model. There are lots of potentiel in there, but it will most certainly take more than a week to build.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 01:17 AM UTC
I don't know much about the Frog kits but the Mustang may be the way to go, i know this will not be easy to complete in a week but i think i can do it, i have been out of work for a very long time so i have more time than most people to build my kits but just level the field i am going to spend no more than 3 hours a day on the build this would be my normal build time when i was working and i will document my time we will see how i do.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 04:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... but just (to) level the field i am going to spend no more than 3 hours a day on the build this would be my normal build time when i was working and i will document my time we will see how i do.

Interesting way to sharpen the discipline Rob. There are weekend days I will spend all day in the shop and not even notice until the Mrs. calls me for dinner. I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm a stay at home dad, so, after all my home chores are done, I'll retire to the shop until the kid comes home from school. Then, after the kid is settled into homework or what-not, I'll head back into the shop. There are days I'll go into the shop at 9am and work right up to 3pm, then go back in at 4 pm and work until 9 pm. That's 11 hours of cutting and gluing plastic. Of course the next day, I have to cut out three or four hours to make-up for what I blew off the day before to model. It's all about balance, to each modeler in question.

He he he....The Zen Art of Scale Modeling.

The one week build will be an instant challenge to some. Others, such as yourself, will make the situation a challenge to test themselves.

It's all good!

Cuhail
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 08:43 AM UTC

I have searched my stash. Unless I buy a kit over the weekend, I have narrowed the field down to a Monogram '69 Goat and a Jo-Han '70 Olds 442. the 'Olds. Since there is quite a lot of flash on the Olds, I'm leaning towards the Goat. Don't want to spend too much time cleaning up. Neither of the kits are not particularly detailed(The Olds especially), so they are excellent candidates.

Quoted Text

The one week build will be an instant challenge to some. Others, such as yourself, will make the situation a challenge to test themselves.

This will definitely be a challenge to me.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 09:20 AM UTC
Like Murph said i am going to make it a challenge for myself and plan to stick to my 3 hour working time i will finish the kit don't know what it will look like though, i have never tryed a Johan kit but i heard they are pretty good and as you said not to detailed that may be the way to go, also Jesper i would go with a kit in your stash that's another reason i started this one week build to get kits in our stash done and on the display shelf. I have several different Testors spray can colors just have to choose one and try it on some scrap plastic.
modelguy2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Auto Modeler: 78 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:22 AM UTC
I'll be doing an Aoshima Porsche Cayman. It's curbside and shouldn't be a problem.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 07:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Unless I buy a kit over the weekend, I have narrowed the field down to a Monogram '69 Goat and a Jo-Han '70 Olds 442. the 'Olds. Since there is quite a lot of flash on the Olds, I'm leaning towards the Goat. Don't want to spend too much time cleaning up. Neither of the kits are not particularly detailed(The Olds especially), so they are excellent candidates.

I would love to see the JoHan Olds built up, but I can feel your pain about the flash and resulting cleanup. It's not a very detailed kit, but the shapes and proportions are good, and I really like the bodystyle. The Monogram '69 GTO kit is a good candidate for a one week build - not overly complex, but still a challenge getting everything painted and put together. I bet either one will turn out well.

As for me, I'm stuck trying to make a decision (again). I've narrowed it down to three AMT kits that have been sitting in my stash for YEARS: a mid-90's reissue of the venerable 1949 Ford, the previously mentioned 1962 Bel Air, or a Buyer's Choice release of the 1971 Duster 340. I'm leaning towards the '49 Ford, since I so rarely build anything '49-'59 these days, and I think the change in subject matter would be a welcome break.

-YL
 _GOTOTOP