The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Demolition Derby?
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 12:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

so maybe a 1960 Pontiac Bonneville Hardtop or 1958 Chevy Impala
Cheers,
Steve

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo . . . . . .

I'll never hear the end of this now !!! Quick, delete this post before VonCuda sees it !!!

Seriously, welcome aboard Steve. This is gunna be a great fun Group Build.

Cheers, D
Steve_W
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 44 posts
Auto Modeler: 14 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 11:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

so maybe a 1960 Pontiac Bonneville Hardtop or 1958 Chevy Impala
Cheers,
Steve

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo . . . . . .

I'll never hear the end of this now !!! Quick, delete this post before VonCuda sees it !!!

Seriously, welcome aboard Steve. This is gunna be a great fun Group Build.

Cheers, D

Hi D,
Sorry, but I'm just an ign'ant Limey... what would I know about MOPAR/GMC/Ford???

Unfortunately, as I mentioned, there just isn't the choice of kits available over here... either new or second-hand... so beggars can't be choosers

Quick question for y'all... how do the different makes of car/truck kits compare... i.e. Revell vs. Italeri vs. AMT/Ertl? Are the Monogram car kits rebranded?
Just wondering if any are obviously inferior/superior to the others.

Cheers!
Steve
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 11:56 AM UTC
Steve, the first rule of the demolition derby group build is you HAVE to have fun. Build whatever you want to build and if it's not American made, no problem.

The Italeri kits are ones I usually stay away from. I wouldn't call them inferior at all, it's just that the plastic on some of them is really crazy, almost like trying to cut and sand a bar of soap. Revell, AMT & Monogram are mainly what I build because they're readily available here and there are so many more choices with them.

And, hey, welcome to Automodeler and to the demolition derby! Don't forget to sign up on the group build page.

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 02:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... but I'm just an ign'ant Limey... what would I know about MOPAR/GMC/Ford??? Cheers!
Steve

Glad to have ya...while american muscle and steel are nice, there are faves from your side of the pond too that could be used easily enough...but a lil mini would get creamed by a full sized american car with steel bumpers!!
...build what you can find and join in for the fun.
beans1989
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 32 posts
Auto Modeler: 28 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 06:32 PM UTC
Hey guys can a entry be a sport compact demolition derby car/enduro where i come we have this thing at our local dirt oval race track at the end of every race season its called the fireball enduro theres 3 classes well 4. Womans 4 cylinder always a blast to wacth them drive(HILARIOUS). Mens 4,6 and 8 cylnder class heres the link to the photos of the actual event feel free to look thru the pictures the picture thats gonan come up on the page is my cousin that races it every year he raced a 1998 pontiac grand prix gtp the black car with the blue rims that syas giant tiger on it.

http://icelevel.smugmug.com/Cornwall-Motor-Speedway/Enduro/Enduro/9641481_VZqbh#650308237_EfzNT (THE PHOTOS FROM THE EVENT)

www.cornwallspeedway.com (THIS IS OUR ACTUAL RACE TRACK SITE)
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 06:41 AM UTC
Brett, if it has an engine and you aren't affraid to drive then it's all good with me. Like I said, the whole idea is to build a car and have fun. If it's in your stash and you wanna build it, go for it..

Hermon
beans1989
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 10:33 AM UTC
hey hermon sound sliek a plan im gonan kit bash the old revell valvoline vw golf im gonan build according to our local track rules and safety regulations which is everthing that can catch fire on the insterior must come out except the drivers seat and seatbelt any tips on creating rust holes and rust pacthes
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 11:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...any tips on creating rust holes and rust pacthes

Easy...take a dremel tool with either a sander drum or a bit and "slowly" remove material from the inside of the body....that bit or drum can bite in so be careful and use light pressure - take your time! Carve out till the area starts to melt/bubble on the outside of the body{do alittle area at a time}...take a fresh blade and cut off the bubble to reveal a fresh jaged hole - rust through done.

Now for the "rusted areas". Paint the body with a rust colored primer or prime as usual then coat the to do areas with a rust color. Take some table salt, wet the affected area to be rusted and shake some salt on there...let it dry. Add more if needed for affect. When all areas are done coat with the final paint color...do be careful as that salt will brush off from handling. When all is dry I use a plastic cuticle tool with a rubber end tip{pilfered from the wife...said the kids must have lost it } and rub/remove the salt/paint areas to reveal the rust colored lower paint color. Add other rust colors as desired around the area{s} and you have "missing paint chips". Weather with washes of dirt/dust color and seal it up with a flat clear and your good.

If you want to see how it looks, look in my "photos" section under "ratrod"..you'll see what this yields for the effort. You can see the same result with "rust holes" here too-
daily beater build chevy
beans1989
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 04:21 PM UTC
hey thanks ill dry the dremel tip ill be painting the car in a rusty sahe of color and flat black ill just take pictures of the final prodct inside and out for the campign
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 01:43 AM UTC
No problem...I thought it was an odd way to get the effect, but it does work nicely. Intermitant grains of salt here and there make for small "chips" too as well as larger sections....give it a try...you'll like it I think.
beans1989
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 06:38 AM UTC
the car is on the workbench the body has gone it paint striping with oven cleaner then comes the rust tryout thanks guys for all the amzing tips on how to on this website
Steve_W
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2010 - 04:29 AM UTC
Hermon sed...
Steve, the first rule of the demolition derby group build is you HAVE to have fun. Build whatever you want to build and if it's not American made, no problem.

The Italeri kits are ones I usually stay away from. I wouldn't call them inferior at all, it's just that the plastic on some of them is really crazy, almost like trying to cut and sand a bar of soap. Revell, AMT & Monogram are mainly what I build because they're readily available here and there are so many more choices with them.

And, hey, welcome to Automodeler and to the demolition derby! Don't forget to sign up on the group build page.

Thanks for the info Hermon - much appreciated. Yup, signed up to both of your campaigns!
Steve_W
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2010 - 04:37 AM UTC
Bob sed...
Glad to have ya...while american muscle and steel are nice, there are faves from your side of the pond too that could be used easily enough...but a lil mini would get creamed by a full sized american car with steel bumpers!!
...build what you can find and join in for the fun.

Hi Bob,
Are you a mind reader? I have a friend & colleague who is an avid Classic Mini owner/restorer ( LCMOC ) so I was thinking of doing a 1275GT for the 'End of Days' campaign. Dunno if he'll appreciated the matt-black & chequer-plate styling tho

Roll on August!
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 02:53 PM UTC
DAMN!!! A mini in the EoD campaign would be awsome.........kind of a fast little friend that scoots around urban areas attracting the zombies attention while the big boys clean out all the stores.

Well, back to demo-derby. In honor of all the Chevy fans.....er, uh....actually the only Chevy fan here (D), I just recieved in the mail today a 1970 Chevy Impala that will be my entry. Thinking of painting it pink and using some lace around the fenders.

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 03:19 PM UTC
Use the tamiya pink like I painted my daughter's fire truck kit in{the things we do for our kids!}...that's about the "girliest" pink I've ever seen.
Oh, don't forget the curbfeelers!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 04:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, back to demo-derby. In honor of all the Chevy fans.....er, uh....actually the only Chevy fan here (D), I just recieved in the mail today a 1970 Chevy Impala that will be my entry. Thinking of painting it pink and using some lace around the fenders.

Hermon

Not surprised, your wife was telling me the other night that you have a lot of pink lace in your stash
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 - 12:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not surprised, your wife was telling me the other night that you have a lot of pink lace in your stash

.........Ohhh......you dirty, dirty man............

This shall be reported to Mrs. Rigby tonight.

Hermon
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 03:10 AM UTC

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 12:55 PM UTC

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 12:36 AM UTC
Now that's just rude !

That's much better !!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 11:58 AM UTC
You two are brothers or something...aren't ya?!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 07:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You two are brothers or something...aren't ya?!

Yep, long lost identical twins separated at birth. I was raised by a tribe of hardened warriors (hence the Chev affinity), and Hermon was raised by a band of travelling ballerinas (pink lace . . . no need to explain there).
pastafarian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 207 posts
Auto Modeler: 66 posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 - 09:19 AM UTC
Any word on when you guys want to start this one up?

I'm in on this one too.

Where can we find 1/25 chain? I looked in the jewelry section in hobby lobby and everything looked too big.

No idea on what kind of car. I'll go to HB and see what's on clearance. haha.

BTW, have you guys ever seen one of the trailer races? Those are crazy. I was flipping through the channels one day and one was on. You can evidently tow anything (camper, boat, box trailer). Those jokers fly apart!

Saw Speedo too, cool film.

John
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 - 01:10 PM UTC
Demolition Derby Enlistment Page

Fire it up John, welcome aboard !!
pastafarian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 207 posts
Auto Modeler: 66 posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 - 01:38 PM UTC
Thanks Damian.

Browsing google I ran across this pic. Several drivers mounted the radiators up on the roof. Makes sense.