The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Porsche campaign anyone?
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 02:33 AM UTC
Hi guys.

Group Build enlistment page is up
HERE so please jump on board.

Please have a look at the Rules and Regs and let me know if you are happy with them, and we need to get a ribbon designed, so start throwing some ideas around.

Cheers, D
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 02:51 AM UTC
Thanks, D. for setting up the campaign! Highly anticipated!

Enlisted!

The rules are crystal clear... I see no need for amends

Gabriel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 04:28 AM UTC
Big D,
I just signed up. Plenty of time to work in another Porsche build as the time frame is just perfect.

Joel
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 01:08 PM UTC
Signed up and looking forward to the start line.

cheers
Michael
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
Auto Modeler: 409 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 11:37 AM UTC
Here is my entry for this group build:-

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is my entry for this group build:-

Richard,
An oldie but a goldie for sure. Looking forward to following your build.

Joel
Clunbb9
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Auto Modeler: 64 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 06:31 AM UTC
How did I not see this campaign.
Anyway I would love to join this build as well. Being that it doesn't end until next year, it will give me a plenty of time to complete my current builds and start on this.

My goal is to do something a tad different. I plan on building a Boxster GT3 by combining both the Tamiya Boxster and the Tamiya 911 GT3 kits. Being that both cars actually shared components such as body panels is surprising.

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 09:11 PM UTC
Well folks the start date has passed quietly by, so we are officially under way!

As a reminder, the Group Build page for enlisted can be found HERE

I propose that we continue to add to this thread with everybody's progress updates, but obviously those who wish to are more than welcome to start their own build log threads.

Best of luck with all of your builds. I will keep an eye out in my LHS travels to see if a kit jumps out at me, as I have none in the stash at this time.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 01:49 AM UTC
D,
I'm still in the middle of a few car builds, then I plan on starting my Porsche build. As a matter of fact, I'm still waiting for the 356 Porsche bathtub to be released, or I might do a LeMans Prototype race car.

Joel
PasiAhopelto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 514 posts
Auto Modeler: 44 posts
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2018 - 05:10 AM UTC
I think I'll stick with my initial choice, which is Tamiya's 911 GT1:

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2018 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think I'll stick with my initial choice, which is Tamiya's 911 GT1:

Love the paint job. Should be spectacular when completed.

Joel
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2018 - 10:33 PM UTC
I like your choice Pasi. I am going with something more retro

There's not much to it so I will show you what's in the box. A bright green body shell

and green suspension and chassis

the inside is black which is not surprising since everything is instructed to be painted black

and wheels and windows

the neat bit is the decals which are by Cartograf so much better than the usual Tamiya offering

Looking forward to this as some relief from Enterprise's brass work.

cheers
Michael
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2018 - 02:28 AM UTC
Michael
Great choice for sure. The pre-molded black does indeed work in certain applications as I never saw any reason to prime and then paint them the same color as they were already molded. Some polishing was usually necessary as removing mold lines left other lines that needed to be taken care of.

Personally, I'm thrilled to see that Tamiya has made the move to Cartgraf decals, as their own are still just to thick and difficult to work with. Most likely it costs them less per sheet to have Cartgraf print them, then to keep the entire process in house, and the end results are a huge benefit to us.

I've read in a few build blogs that the kit's molds aren't in house, but that this is the Revell of Germany kit which I found kind of strange that Tamiya would go that route, but I guess it was easy enough for those with both kits to do a side by side comparison.

looking forward to following your build.

Joel
Clunbb9
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Auto Modeler: 64 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2018 - 06:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael
Great choice for sure. The pre-molded black does indeed work in certain applications as I never saw any reason to prime and then paint them the same color as they were already molded. Some polishing was usually necessary as removing mold lines left other lines that needed to be taken care of.

Personally, I'm thrilled to see that Tamiya has made the move to Cartgraf decals, as their own are still just to thick and difficult to work with. Most likely it costs them less per sheet to have Cartgraf print them, then to keep the entire process in house, and the end results are a huge benefit to us.

I've read in a few build blogs that the kit's molds aren't in house, but that this is the Revell of Germany kit which I found kind of strange that Tamiya would go that route, but I guess it was easy enough for those with both kits to do a side by side comparison.

Joel

This particular kit isn't a Revell of Germany kit. The Valiant Tamiya kit has been around June 2014 and the Jagermeister was in 2013 while the Revell kit was released in 2017. I believe the original tooling for the Tamiya kit existed YEARS ago in the 80s. That being said, there were kits in the past that Tamiya had which were Revell of Germany kits reboxed such as the E36 BMW 325i, 850i and I believe the old Mercedes 500SLs as well.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 01:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Michael

Joel

This particular kit isn't a Revell of Germany kit. The Valiant Tamiya kit has been around June 2014 and the Jagermeister was in 2013 while the Revell kit was released in 2017. I believe the original tooling for the Tamiya kit existed YEARS ago in the 80s. That being said, there were kits in the past that Tamiya had which were Revell of Germany kits reboxed such as the E36 BMW 325i, 850i and I believe the old Mercedes 500SLs as well.

Michael
Thanks for the clarification. It's just some thing that pops up from time to time in builds, and I just took it for granted as being true. Sure seems that you know your stuff, which is a big plus for us on the site.

Joel
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
Auto Modeler: 409 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 08:08 AM UTC
Here is my entry box/bag photo:-

First thing up - strip the chrome!

Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2018 - 08:41 AM UTC
Hi, guys!

I'm stalking you right now because my bench is still unavailable. I tried to finish my DM600 but wasn't to be (yet!) and open the spot for the Porsche. I am behind on all fronts, but slightly I'm catching up!

Richard: the classic of all classics! Nice choice, right at the heart of the subject!

Calvin, I was intrigued I haven't see you around, because, if I good remember, you made your entry to the forum with a glamorous collection of Porches. Very interesting kit-bashing you propose!

Pasi, very eye-catching scheme there! As Joel said, it can be easily the gem in the crown!

Michael Intriguing scheme - that one I have missed it before so it comes as a novelty for me - I will watch with interest!

Joel, dear ol' friend, you're racing before me all over the place I should get some youthness lessons from you! Whatever your choice will be, I'm sure you're going to delight us again with a top-notch build and a detailed, well laid blog!

I'l try to get to start this campaign as soon the time allows - and the hurricane season that is.

Cheers!
Gabriel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2018 - 09:13 AM UTC
Gabriel,
That Hurricane season has all of us on the East coast pinned to the weather stations. 3 in the Atlantic right now. Florence heading right at the Carolinas, so we should just get a ton of rain up on LI. But Isaac looks to be heading your way, and Helene is projected to take a hard right turn and straight up the Atlantic.
Did I mention how much I hate and fear Hurricanes.

I've got a few ideas on my group build, but I keep on changing my mind, and my #1 choice naturally hasn't hit the online stores as yet.

Joel
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 - 06:43 PM UTC
Taking a break from fighting the brass work on Enterprise I made a start on the Vaillant.
Since there is a small part count progress is fairly quick and we have a rolling chassis.

cheers
Michael
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 01:00 AM UTC
Michael
that's really a great start. I'm more then impressed, as I'm still waiting for the 1/16 scale Porsche 365 Cabaret due out this month.

Joel
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 03:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael
that's really a great start. I'm more then impressed, as I'm still waiting for the 1/16 scale Porsche 365 Cabaret due out this month.

Joel

Thanks Joel!
1/16 is an unusual scale for a car so looking forward to seeing that. Who is the manufacturer?

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 03:59 PM UTC
Well into the cabin now and have doubled the parts count by providing some seatbelts. My own version of a six point harness made out of foil and some etch buckles from various plane kits.

cheers
Michael
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 01:10 AM UTC
Michael,
I found the listing while going through 550 plus pages on the HLJ web site, which is like a P/T job. The manufacture is Aoshima with a available date of Sept, but it's still not listed as in stock. As I near the end of the Lotus 72E build, I'll have to switch gears and select another Porsche for the GB. Right now I'm really leaning towards the 918 Spider, but who knows as I've been a 911 fan since the day I 1st saw one.

I'm also waiting for the Ebbro Brabham 1966 F2 car listed for a Sept release, but it's already more then a year since they showed the prototype at the Japanese toy fair.

And Aoshima has for Dec the 1967 & 1972 MGB. I'll be buying a min of two '67 models. One I'll do as my street car, and one I'll do as my quasi race/time trial car. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for selling it. I truly loved that car. I'd buy one in a nano second but my wife doesn't share my passion for cars, modeling, sports, nor photography, so the odds are less then winning the lottery. Believe me, I've tried to negotiate a deal, but the FOO of the house isn't budging as yet.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 01:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well into the cabin now and have doubled the parts count by providing some seatbelts. My own version of a six point harness made out of foil and some etch buckles from various plane kits.

cheers
Michael

Michael,
I really like how you made that harness assembly. Since the model is 1/24 scale, whose and what scale buckles & latches did you use? I'm finding that the Tamiya sets aren't always available. I've tried the Eduard PE sets but I'm just not a fan of PE belts as they're so hard to work with.

And of course, thanks for stopping by and checking out my progress to date. It's always much appreciated. We're a small but active community that's slowly growing for sure. Now if we could just get "D" to actually build and finish one of his car projects, that truly would be something.

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 09:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We're a small but active community that's slowly growing for sure. Now if we could just get "D" to actually build and finish one of his car projects, that truly would be something.

Joel

Joel, I think I would be happier than anybody to get some regular bench time soon. Despite my best efforts, my work and home life seem to be just more and more chaotic lately. I am way overdue for some R&R so fingers crossed for some progress very soon

Cheers, D