The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Porsche campaign anyone?
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 - 04:39 AM UTC
Gabriel,
Holy Smokes !! the interior looks amazing. You managed to bring it up to the level of a luxury car. And the exterior finish with the CF really kicks it up quite a few notches.

Joel

Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2018 - 02:07 PM UTC
Hi Gabriel,
The Beetle looks amazing. Great job on the interior. It certainly does look roomy on the inside. The exterior with the carbon fibre is a great choice. I certainly have some more practice to go to get a base finish like that.

cheers
Michael
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2018 - 02:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The exterior with the carbon fibre is a great choice. I certainly have some more practice to go to get a base finish like that.

cheers
Michael

Thank you, Michael for your kind words. I have to confess that 2K is of great help. I was using some of my old Alclad Aquagloss in the same build as base coat for decals. While Alclad looks nice and "wet" right after application, you can see it dulling and hazing up as it dries. On the opposite, 2K looks good and wet once applied, but - man! - it just levels itself out and get that glass shine as it dries. Plainly spectacular!
And encouragingly enough, 2K it's the easiest to apply and more forgiving than any other clear I ever tried, because it does not have a tendency to run. The only down of 2K is a little complicated (and messy) procedure of mixing, but once you practice a few times, it gets "natural".

Cheers!
Gabriel
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2018 - 02:29 PM UTC
Well here it is, my Porsche 934 Turbo RSR.

I'll show the rest of the pictures and then thoughts at the end.

Thoughts: Well this was my first car build probably in almost 40 years. They didn't have the products they do to day back in the seventies, just a paint brush and some Humbrol enamel.
The Gravity paint and clear coat pack are amazing and would be even better with more practice. I think the most difficult part is the concept of a wet coat. It's not the way I have ever airbrushed planes or ships and I wasn't sure how wet is wet. You can see can the the slight dimple effect as a result.
Preparation is obviously key with the sanding between coats very important. The videos I watched always show people sanding the car roof or door panels but I found it very difficult to do around the bumpers and hood and tail of the car. More patience required there in future!
The Gravity polishing and wax products also made a huge difference as did Joel's suggestion for a carwash using the airbrush.
One thought though is that the finish is too glossy for a race car. I have never owned one but been to many races over the decades and I don't think I have ever seen one that polished. Be interested in people's views on that or how maybe I could have toned it down.
Lastly, for my sins of thinking it wasn't going too bad for a first attempt I lost the driver's side mirror. I was so and despite searching everywhere it seems gone.

Back to the Ferrari with my lessons.

cheers

Michael
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2018 - 02:44 PM UTC
Michael, Congratulations for crossing the line in pole position!

I was going to congratulate you on the glossy finish but then I read you are unhappy with it! I understand some race cars appear roughed up on the pit line and especially after the race, but when "salooned" they are as glossy as a collector car!

However, for a "first" it's an amazing achievement - it took me years to reach to a similar performance! Now you need to do a fire engine or a Rolls just for the sake of the gloss !

Cheers!
Gabriel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 03:19 AM UTC
Michael,
What an absolutely amazing build. One would never have guessed that this is your 1st car build in 40 years. From what I can see, the finish is simply world class.

The 2K finish system is truly amazing, but I'm still a lacquer kind of guy, and the gloss shine is a good notch plus down on the scale.

I'm still struggling with what a wet coat should and shouldn't be for my clear coats. For the color coats using Gravity paints, which are Matt, It's all about smoothness, which is why I use 4-6,000 grit between the color coat and the gloss coat. Gloss coats get the 3,000 grit, then the full Monty polishing and wax system by Gravity.

As far as an over shine for race cars. I guess that all depends on what you prefer. I've seen race cars spit shinned as display pieces, and I've seen them roll of the trailer looking like showroom perfection, which never lasts very long at the track. You'll never see any Penske car roll into the pits from the trailer and not look absolutely perfect. Standards to vary.

If you're modeling a race ending car, most car as weathered and beat to some degree.

Joel
bluebell914
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Auto Modeler: 49 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 10:42 AM UTC
I'd really like to see this happen. Have 3 917's and a '73 Carrera RS in my stash. 917K Daytona winner will be the first and progress can be documented. Going to happen anyway, so let's make it staple area.
bluebell914
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Auto Modeler: 49 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 10:44 AM UTC
Sign me up! Have 3 917's, a 934 and Carrera RSR in my backlog.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 12:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sign me up! Have 3 917's, a 934 and Carrera RSR in my backlog.

Patrick,
Looking forward to your 917 build for sure.

Joel
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 08:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael, Congratulations for crossing the line in pole position!

I was going to congratulate you on the glossy finish but then I read you are unhappy with it! I understand some race cars appear roughed up on the pit line and especially after the race, but when "salooned" they are as glossy as a collector car!

However, for a "first" it's an amazing achievement - it took me years to reach to a similar performance! Now you need to do a fire engine or a Rolls just for the sake of the gloss !

Cheers!
Gabriel

Thanks Gabriel,
It was made a lot easier by the explanations that you and Joel provide with your previous builds. It would not have been anywhere as easy without that. Plus the products are amazing. That Gravity paint and 2K airbrushes so smoothly it's hard to credit.

thanks
Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 08:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael,
What an absolutely amazing build. One would never have guessed that this is your 1st car build in 40 years. From what I can see, the finish is simply world class.

The 2K finish system is truly amazing, but I'm still a lacquer kind of guy, and the gloss shine is a good notch plus down on the scale.

I'm still struggling with what a wet coat should and shouldn't be for my clear coats. For the color coats using Gravity paints, which are Matt, It's all about smoothness, which is why I use 4-6,000 grit between the color coat and the gloss coat. Gloss coats get the 3,000 grit, then the full Monty polishing and wax system by Gravity.

As far as an over shine for race cars. I guess that all depends on what you prefer. I've seen race cars spit shinned as display pieces, and I've seen them roll of the trailer looking like showroom perfection, which never lasts very long at the track. You'll never see any Penske car roll into the pits from the trailer and not look absolutely perfect. Standards to vary.

If you're modeling a race ending car, most car as weathered and beat to some degree.

Joel

Cheers Joel,
As I said to Gabriel, it was the builds you guys have done, especially the Lotus and Ferrari, that made doing this as a first timer a lot, lot easier. The preparation that you outlined I followed as necessary instructions and it does clearly make a difference to the finish for cars. I will see if I can go one step better with the Ferrari GT250 which a much smoother bodyshell i.e. no awkward moulded on bumpers.

You should give the Gravity 2K a go, my airbrush was still working afterwards

thanks

Michael
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 04:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Michael,

Joel

Cheers Joel,
As I said to Gabriel, it was the builds you guys have done, especially the Lotus and Ferrari, that made doing this as a first timer a lot, lot easier. The preparation that you outlined I followed as necessary instructions and it does clearly make a difference to the finish for cars. I will see if I can go one step better with the Ferrari GT250 which a much smoother bodyshell i.e. no awkward moulded on bumpers.

You should give the Gravity 2K a go, my airbrush was still working afterwards

thanks

Michael

Michael,
None of my procedures are earth shaking news. I just used what I've read and seen if it worked for me, and came up with a Plan of Attack that works and just as importantly, I can duplicate.

So if any of my work has inspired you to try a car, then all the time and effort I put into my build blogs are worth it.

As for the 2K system, I'm weakening real fast. I have 6 bottles of Mr. Hobby lacquer super clear gloss to burn through, then I'll give the 2K a really good try.

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 02:36 AM UTC
Hi, guys!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

UPDATE - crawling closer

I never thought I'm gonna say this, but I have here a poorly engineered Tamiya. The cut out surface on the Beetle body is just too big for the parts to align properly and to hold together. Skipping the cross beam that supports the trunk hinges on the real car, Tamiya expects me to click fit two parts (the rear window and the trunk lid) pushing them from opposite directions! Right! I had to remove the trunk cover, install the back window with lots and lots of Micro Krystal Klear and only then to force the trunk lid into its place, praying in the same time the window will stay put

My strategy worked eventually, but cleaning the mess was not all that easy. I still have some little "fogging" from the glue but not to worry - it's water based and I just need more rinsing.

The wheels added and the interior fitted to the floor pan. Finally, the kit recalled itself it is a Tamiya and gave me no more trouble

Cheers!
Gabriel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2018 - 11:59 AM UTC
Gabriel,
Simply outstanding. You should send the pictures of the final build to VW. Who knows, they just might buy the rights from you to produce your version. It surely would turn heads.

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 01:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gabriel,
Simply outstanding. You should send the pictures of the final build to VW. Who knows, they just might buy the rights from you to produce your version. It surely would turn heads.

Joel

Thank you for the high prize! That will be awesome, Joel! The only thing is VW New Beetle went out of production this year, and there is no sign of continuation of the concept, at least for the time being. Most probably the next small compact volume from VW will be an alternative fuel one (?).

Gabriel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gabriel,

Joel

Thank you for the high prize! That will be awesome, Joel! The only thing is VW New Beetle went out of production this year, and there is no sign of continuation of the concept, at least for the time being. Most probably the next small compact volume from VW will be an alternative fuel one (?).

Gabriel

Gabriel,
Hard to believe that the Bug won't be around any longer. Even I had a 1970 Bug for a few months before my next sports car: A MG Midget, which naturally was pushed to the limits for the street. I even had a custom exhaust header made, which was mainly needed so that my two barrel Webber side draft carb fit the intake manifold. Talk about a great sound as a bonus.

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 07:07 AM UTC
Yes, it saddens me to know the rich history of the Beetle has reached a rather inglorious end...

UPDATE - Almost there!
The body and the undersides assembled together - this is the first time I see the whole thing together myself and I'm not too disappointed. There are still turn signals, fog lamps, antenna and such to be attached, but the bug is pretty much done.

Happy New Year everyone!

Gabriel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 09:24 AM UTC
Gabriel,
something must have gone wrong, as there are pictures in your post, just a circle with a minus sign?
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 09:27 AM UTC
Well it's time for another update which I'll be posting in a short while in the main Car forum. Here's a few pictures as to where I'm at in the build.

Joel

Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 02:19 PM UTC
Joel, that interior looks unbelievably "accomplished". I'll read the whole story on the dedicated thread.
Meanwhile, I re-linked the picture with my VW. Maybe this time will work.
Cheers!
Gabriel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2018 - 05:46 AM UTC
Gabriel,
Link fixed.
Your Bug looks simply amazing.
Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 10:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gabriel,
Link fixed.
Your Bug looks simply amazing.
Joel

Thanks, Joel, for letting me know.

Last UPDATE

Well, I guess January 1st it's a good day to finish a model . And here she is:

I'm very close now to a clean bench, with just a single un-finished 1/72nd WWI aircraft completed some 50%

Cheers!
Gabriel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 01:36 AM UTC
I haven't had a chance to troll through this thread for a while, all I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW !!!

Some amazing work in progress and beautifully completed builds, and still 8 months to run!

We are still looking for ideas for a ribbon, any and all suggestions gratefully accepted. I'm happy to do some fiddling with the format, just throw out some concepts guys!

Happy New Year, here's to plenty more of the same styrene goodness for 2019!

Cheers, D
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 02:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We are still looking for ideas for a ribbon, any and all suggestions gratefully accepted. I'm happy to do some fiddling with the format, just throw out some concepts guys!

Happy New Year, here's to plenty more of the same styrene goodness for 2019!

Hi, D! and Happy New Year!
I was toying with a couple of campaign badge ideas. What dimension needs to be in pixels again?

Gabriel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 02:14 AM UTC
Hi Gabriel.

Ribbon is GIF 50x20 pixels.