Cars: Other Racing
For automotive racing topics not already covered.
Pretty in Pink - Porsche 917/20 (MFH)
heavyjagdpanzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Auto Modeler: 46 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 03:32 PM UTC
I love the velocity stacks. They are translucent like the originals.
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 03:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That looks absolutely amazing Michael, 15 hours very well spent mate!

Cheers, D

Agree with that Damian...after I've had finished
It such a key element of the final look so happy with the outcome.

cheers
Michael

Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 03:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

put some petrol in it and I bet it'd run!

Thanks Russ, I don't what they ran on but I bet was it wasn't 98 unleaded - some toxic high octane brew no doubt. Not sure the family would be too happy if I fired this up without the exhausts.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 04:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael,
Your engine as I've posted numerous times is simply amazing. The detail is beyond anything I've seen in model form to date, and I've been around for nearly a million years. But that's only half of the equation. All that detail means nothing if one doesn't have the skills to build it as it was designed to be built. And my friend, your skill level is way beyond that. As I've said before, just add gas, oil, an hook up the battery. I'm sure that it would fire right up.

Joel

Thanks very much Joel!
As for looks, MFH provide all the parts, the challenge is getting it together. Nothing quite fits perfectly, a bit of a file there, drill that hole deeper, cut a bit off. You definitely know you have achieved something when it comes together as it has.

Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 04:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Outstanding work Michael, i would not want to be responsible for the install of all those plug wires one mistake and you are out of a job, lol.

No doubt Robert, getting the firing order on this beast would have been critical I think. On the real thing, I can see all the spark plug leads are numbered. I decided to past on the at detail but I think the Porsche team probably left nothing to chance.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 04:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I love the velocity stacks. They are translucent like the originals.

Cheers Bill, MFH have done a great job making the clear parts looks like the real thing, so kudos to them. Getting them set in place, that was another thing altogether.

thanks
Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 04:17 PM UTC
Having finished step 1, I am working on the next three sort of concurrently since they all hang together. These are the exhausts, the gearbox and the chassis.

The chassis was always going to be a challenge, given it was white metal and hadn't escaped the vagaries of shipping. As before, all the contact points have to be drilled out, the metal pushed into what seems the appropriate shape and off you go. There is some triangulation to help but I am sure there will be a little more "shaping" as more of the chassis is added.

This is the main section, which hold the engine. Off the back of this hangs the chassis for the suspension and gearbox. Further to that and also on the sides more tubular parts are added for the body work and gas tanks.
This side attaches to the cockpit

The copper wire are my version of home made clamps to keep the parts together while glue sets.

Thanks for all your kind support.

cheers
Michael
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 - 12:43 AM UTC
Michael,
The start of that complex tube chassis really looks great. Your idea of copper wire tie downs really is a great idea. I just may "borrow" it from you, as I see it being quite a valuable tool.

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 - 05:05 AM UTC
Michael, excellent progress! And the Australian ingenuity at work Cool!

Gabriel
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 - 08:44 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

Nice to see your work, and take a few minutes to really look at what you're doing. The motor looks super. The metal injectors look nice - they don't have those on the smaller scale kits, and I really think they add something nice, at least while you can still see them!

I agree with a point you made some time ago about drilling the metal, like in the fuel pump and distributors, which while a bit tedious, the drill bit rarely creeps out of it's intended alignment, unlike plastic. The results look clean.

The linkages look good too - I can't remember, does another triangle shaped plate attach to the fuel pump, and then to another rod back to the linkage? In any case, the work looks really good.

It's great to see the early steps of the cage, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how you move ahead with attaching additional parts, painting, and assembly. Did you try a dry fit yet? In real life/scale the fit is tight, as it is in 1/24. I haven't built anything in 1/12, so I'm curious to see how the scale change rates in terms of either tighter/more challenging fit, or, having some breathing room to get the parts installed? Does bigger equal more flexibility or more headaches?? haha -

The smaller versions require you to screw a few of the parts (engine/body/cage) together, but, the instructions don't tell you much about: proper sequence, the required bit diameter for the screw, or that the screws seem to be self tapping. As the 1/12 version is so big, the optimist in me is predicting more solid connection points, smoother installation, and less likelihood of parts popping apart during assembly - so, I'm eagerly waiting to see how it goes!

Looking forward to your next post.

Cheers and stay well -

Nick
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 - 11:39 AM UTC
Neat work on that bird cage Michael, looks like you need an extra pair of hands to get it aligned ready for glue!

Quoted Text

Michael, excellent progress! And the Australian ingenuity at work Cool!Gabriel

Gabriel, Michael is over on the East Island, but he does great work so I'm happy to make him an honorary Aussie!

Cheers, D
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 - 12:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael,
The start of that complex tube chassis really looks great. Your idea of copper wire tie downs really is a great idea. I just may "borrow" it from you, as I see it being quite a valuable tool.

Joel

Feel free Joel! There was no way to clamp them so the wire did the trick.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 - 12:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gabriel

Gabriel, I just don't know what to say to that
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 - 12:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gabriel

Take it as a huge compliment mate! Although, in saying that, I hope our ingenuity goes a bit further than a bit of twisted wire to hold things together

Cheers, D
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 - 01:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael,

Nice to see your work, and take a few minutes to really look at what you're doing. The motor looks super. The metal injectors look nice - they don't have those on the smaller scale kits, and I really think they add something nice, at least while you can still see them!

I agree with a point you made some time ago about drilling the metal, like in the fuel pump and distributors, which while a bit tedious, the drill bit rarely creeps out of it's intended alignment, unlike plastic. The results look clean.

The linkages look good too - I can't remember, does another triangle shaped plate attach to the fuel pump, and then to another rod back to the linkage? In any case, the work looks really good.

Yes, your right. I took off the linkage for the fuel pump to do the wiring (actually knocked it off) but forgot to put it back on when taking the photos.

Quoted Text

It's great to see the early steps of the cage, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how you move ahead with attaching additional parts, painting, and assembly. Did you try a dry fit yet? In real life/scale the fit is tight, as it is in 1/24. I haven't built anything in 1/12, so I'm curious to see how the scale change rates in terms of either tighter/more challenging fit, or, having some breathing room to get the parts installed? Does bigger equal more flexibility or more headaches?? haha -

I have tried the engine in the chassis and it slid in pretty well. I didn’t check the engine mount alignment which goes to your next point about self-tapped screws. Here, the instructions are poor and you certainly need to plan ahead for the holes required. Also, I still have to install the exhausts before the final fitting

Quoted Text

The smaller versions require you to screw a few of the parts (engine/body/cage) together, but, the instructions don't tell you much about: proper sequence, the required bit diameter for the screw, or that the screws seem to be self tapping. As the 1/12 version is so big, the optimist in me is predicting more solid connection points, smoother installation, and less likelihood of parts popping apart during assembly - so, I'm eagerly waiting to see how it goes!

There are screws for the engine mounts and to attach the engine to the base of the chassis (I don’t know if this was how it was). They do give vague instructions about diameters, but it is not hard to figure out and with your experience should be straightforward. It is a cliché for modelling but you do need to plan ahead and as you say test fit all the time. The kit has wonderful detail but it is no walk in the park.

cheers

Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 - 01:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gabriel

Take it as a huge compliment mate! Although, in saying that, I hope our ingenuity goes a bit further than a bit of twisted wire to hold things together

Cheers, D

Haha, I always the No.8 wire approach was a Kiwi thing!
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 - 10:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gabriel, Michael is over on the East Island, but he does great work so I'm happy to make him an honorary Aussie!

Cheers, D

Wait! I thought it was a million Kiwis on the North Island, a million on the South Island and a million on the West Island.

Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 12:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gabriel

Oups! I apologize for my ignorance!

Gabriel
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 12:30 PM UTC
No problems Gabriel! I can understand the confusion. They say their flag looks just like ours

cheers
Michael
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 03:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I can understand the confusion. They say their flag looks just like ours

It really does, except we managed to get the colour of the stars correct!

Just one big happy family down here guys!

Cheers, D
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 04:28 AM UTC
Michael-Nice work on that frame for the engine, i assume you have to do a lot of test fitting with these metal parts.
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 02:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael-Nice work on that frame for the engine, i assume you have to do a lot of test fitting with these metal parts.

Thanks Robert. Absolutely on the test fitting. Since it's white metal it's easy to shape but you need to have all the pieces fitted to make sure you have the right overall shape. There only about 10 pieces for this first stage of the chassis and I am still trying to get it right. There are two straight pieces that provide triangulation across the top. Currently they are too short. I don't know if I have got it wrong or they're just made too short. I probably won't know until I get further on and start fitting ancillaries and bodywork.

cheers
Michael
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2020 - 12:34 AM UTC
Michael,
Sure sounds like you'll becoming an expert on dry fitting by the time that your build is done.

With the test fitting, do you use CA glue and then a Debonder? Other then that I can't see an easy quick way to join the parts for test fitting without having to wait for other types of glue to dry.

Strange that those two cross pcs are to short, as I would imagine that something like that they would have caught and corrected in QC.

Joel
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2020 - 09:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael,
Sure sounds like you'll becoming an expert on dry fitting by the time that your build is done.

With the test fitting, do you use CA glue and then a Debonder? Other then that I can't see an easy quick way to join the parts for test fitting without having to wait for other types of glue to dry.

Strange that those two cross pcs are to short, as I would imagine that something like that they would have caught and corrected in QC.

Joel

Hi Joel,
I use this glue which oddly claims to bond everything (and we've all read that before) but doesn't work so well on white metal. What's good about it is that it peels off so when I use the CA I have a clean surface.

The conundrum about the short pieces is still whether it's me or MFH
I have extended them but can always go back and change.
Hopefully the engine will be locked in this weekend now the exhausts are in place.

cheers
Michael
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2020 - 01:12 AM UTC
Michael,
looking forward to pictures of the engine with the exhaust installed.

Joel