Cars: Other Racing
For automotive racing topics not already covered.
Pretty in Pink - Porsche 917/20 (MFH)
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2020 - 03:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael,

looks like you're making great progress. The connections look great - very convincing build. I imagine you wished for a third hand when it came to attaching the front and rear parts of the chassis - heavy, awkward, then, "just" screw the two together!

Cheers
NIck

Sounds like you been there before!

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2020 - 03:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael,
Congratulations on reaching this point of the build where the front and rear sections are finally joined. Boy does that rolling chassis look great now.

As for all those fittings, lines, and connections, the level of realism is just off the charts.

joel

Thank you Joel.
Yes, she is mighty impressive for size, about 4 times the size of 1/24 scale car. As I said the real challenge now is in handling, being both heavy and delicate. I have fingers crossed it doesn't separate before I can get the body on.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2020 - 03:46 PM UTC
Nick raised a question earlier about what you will see once the body shell is in place. The front shell itself is screwed on to the body from underneath and within the wheel arches. But the front panel is detachable so you can lift that off and see some of the detail.

That brings me to the point of this post which is an insight to the three large white metal elements that are part of the front part of the car. I am out of step here because I need to be painting the side pods but the compressor has decide to go into lockdown along with the rest of the city as we have had a relapse, which does mean I can't get another one just yet. So why not work on what are going to be some time consuming jobs in the future.
The front element is complete but probably took 90 mins to get this one piece to fit. MFH provide the right size, which is a relief, but shape is another matter. The complex curves require a constant readjustment as you go back and forth test fitting the piece.
Here it is in place

To give an example of the challenge, here is the right hand door.
Since there is no sill on the shell I glued a piece of sprue to hold the two sides of the frame together.

And this is where we start with the door

The real challenge will getting the curve of the door to match both the channel and the hump from the front guard. The white metal is firm but pliable. If your patient I don't think there is any chance of breaking the metal. Thumbs and fingers applying subtle pressure worked for the front so I let you know how this works out.
Oh, and by the way, this door opens of course so getting the hinges to be in the right place and work will also be part of the challenge.

cheers
Michael
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2020 - 04:47 PM UTC
Michael, I saw that you guys have gone back into lockdown, sorry to hear that mate!

The white metal flat sheet parts are something that I hadn't even foreseen here, definitely a new aspect of the hobby to me. It's going to be very interesting to follow your workings on this area.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 02:11 AM UTC
Michael,
Sorry to hear that NZ has gone back into lock down. Your country was one of the examples that they have always used here to show us what can be achieved when a country works as a total unit, not the way that the USA has left everything up to the states, and each state depending on what party the Governor is from, is what it does or doesn't do. Of course the end result is that we lead the world in total cases, new cases, and deaths per capita. Hopefully, you'll be able to open up fairly soon.

Multi Media kits have always scared me to death because dealing with white metal is something I never could get the hang of. Those doors will take a lot of careful and precise work to get to fit correctly & perfectly, as I'm sure that MFH has molded them so that they do fit correctly. With your skill set it's only a matter of time spent to achieve the results you're aiming for.

Joel
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2020 - 05:29 PM UTC
Michael, that chassis, with all that amazing detailing, is just spectacular.

Fitting of those white metal doors, must take a large amount of zen like calm and patience.
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Auto Modeler: 495 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2020 - 08:16 PM UTC
Wow Micheal! The fit of that door makes a lot of other kits look good
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2020 - 06:34 PM UTC
A while ago Joel asked to see some colour. Well we finally got to that stage, the side pods of the car.

Left and right sides attached, exercising my patience as the right was an unwilling participant.

The devil or course is in the detail. On the left hand side, the previously installed oil pump required a redirection of one the hoses to allow the spare wheel to fit. As you can see, a very tight fit.

The installation of the rear wheel arch on this side highlighted a slight misalignment with the chassis which I managed to do with some copper wire twisted to tighten the gap.

Most of the effort come on the right hand side with the fuel tank and pumps.

Adding the brass bands is a labour of love but they look good I think. I also added some electrical wiring for the pumps. I still need to add the connection from there to the front of the car.

Also added were the brass bolts for the fuel tank filler attachment. MFH doesn't have these so I drilled out about twenty odd holds and put some bolt heads in and painted them brass.

The rear arch on side was a much easier fit.

So overall picture is looking pretty good. More progress, some colour and some detail for fun. Finishing the cockpit is next. The pieces are mainly complete, just need to be installed.

cheers
Michael
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 05:05 AM UTC
Michael,
You're continuing to make outstanding progress for sure. And the level of detail is just amazing. Every line, hose, and connection has been detailed and added so that they each truly look better then the real deal.

As for the Pink paint, I'd say that you nailed it from all the pictures I've seen over the years.

joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 08:29 AM UTC
Michael, that level of detail worth all the effort. I just scrapped today the plans of doing fuel lines on my P34. By contrast, your build is a replica - down to the latest bolt head.

Gabriel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 01:09 PM UTC
Simply stunning work there Michael, crazy good detail work! Makes my fumbling around on the little BMW engines look like kids finger painting against the Sistine Chapel!

Cheers, D
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 02:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael,
You're continuing to make outstanding progress for sure. And the level of detail is just amazing. Every line, hose, and connection has been detailed and added so that they each truly look better then the real deal.

As for the Pink paint, I'd say that you nailed it from all the pictures I've seen over the years.

joel

Thanks Joel, really appreciate that. The pink is from Gravity, and I agree it certainly looks like the pictures.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 02:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael, that level of detail worth all the effort. I just scrapped today the plans of doing fuel lines on my P34. By contrast, your build is a replica - down to the latest bolt head.

Gabriel

Cheers Gabriel. One of the benefits, no doubt, in working in 1/12 scale is that your fingers have room to move when trying to do this stuff in close quarters. I can fully understand skipping it in 1/24 scale. It is way more fiddly.

thanks
Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 02:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Simply stunning work there Michael, crazy good detail work! Makes my fumbling around on the little BMW engines look like kids finger painting against the Sistine Chapel!

Cheers, D

Hi Damian, I would never use fumbling to describe your work. Too much quality going on there. I am not sure how Michelangelo would have portrayed a pink Porsche ascending to race car heaven but I am sure he would include some BMW coupes!

cheers
Michael
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Auto Modeler: 495 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 09:56 PM UTC
Great work Michael!

Can't wait for you to get the 1/12 gasoline and start her up!
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 - 12:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work Michael!

Can't wait for you to get the 1/12 gasoline and start her up!

Being refined as by my 1/12 refinery! Cheers Russ!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 - 12:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am not sure how Michelangelo would have portrayed a pink Porsche ascending to race car heaven but I am sure he would include some BMW coupes!

Hmmmm . . . Michelangelo . . . .MichaelCosimodo . . .anything you're not telling us about your family history there?

Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 - 12:39 PM UTC
Hi Michael, echoing others, that sure looks good!

The brass hose clamps look great! the change in colors is nice too - they really pop - like the bolts you added!

Looking forward to your next update

Cheers

Nick
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 09:28 PM UTC
Back to finish off the cabin.
The dash is simple but effective. MFH provide nice clear resin half rounds for the warning lights and dial covers.

though you'll never see it because the cowling is pretty deep

this is it buried at the back

and the rest of the dash. I added some labels that the engineers stuck on the switches to remind the drivers where to turn on the lights and wipers etc. Notice the key. Since these were "road" cars they had to start with a key.

Then within the cabin, the final touches. A pair coils and a battery box. The leads for the coils go in once the bulkhead is fitted behind the driver. That is part of the front shell, so still to come. I added some cables for the battery box. I sort of guessed where they may go.

None of this really visible once the seats go in.

And the gear shift is nicely done. They had wooden knobs to save weight.

And finally the seats. Only the driver merited belts since there were no passengers but a second seat was required as part of the rules, like the spare wheel. The belts are just resting there as they too need to be attached to the bulkhead once it goes in.

Think about it. That 5 litre flat 12 is about 6 inches from your ears, running at 7000 rpm down the Mulsanne straight. Must've been loud!

Anyway that is it for the interior and mechanicals. Enjoy because there is not much visible once the body work is on. And that's the final area to complete, plus some wheels.

cheers
Michael

Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 12:57 PM UTC
Just beautiful work Michael - thanks for sharing pics of the dash - maybe hidden from here on, but we got to see it! As a whole, really a great composition - a pleasure to see!

Stay well,

Cheers
Nick
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 01:08 PM UTC
That's perhaps the better yet materialisation of "reality in scale" sintagma.

Gabriel
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2020 - 06:23 PM UTC
Readers may remember the challenge from a few weeks ago to fit the doors to this porker. Having got to a close fit, I was finally able to attach the front shell and test the doors in place. We are close but more work required.

Under the front plate there is a air flow chute, also in metal. It doesn't fit because of that clever pipework I put in for the oil radiator. Need to remove hoses, fit chute and re-attach. It does mean I won't be able to take it out in future to show the rest of the cables. Maybe that's why MFH ignored the front hoses.

cheers
Michael
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2020 - 08:40 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

Thanks for posting the update. I think the picture is great too - maybe my favorite stage in a build - almost there, but not. You can see the blend of a high quality build and the challenges that still lay ahead. At this point, it almost looks like a real car in a shop! Sorry to hear about the need to remove some of your detail work. Looking forward to the next post.

Cheers
Nick
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2020 - 11:37 AM UTC
Michael, this is just plain bad ass looking. Great job!
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2020 - 04:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael,

Thanks for posting the update. I think the picture is great too - maybe my favorite stage in a build - almost there, but not. You can see the blend of a high quality build and the challenges that still lay ahead. At this point, it almost looks like a real car in a shop! Sorry to hear about the need to remove some of your detail work. Looking forward to the next post.

Cheers
Nick

Hi Nick,
I agree you feel you're almost there but maybe the steps I worried about the most - the fit of the body shell. The front surprise me and it will only take a small amount of finessing to get it to settle down.

cheers
Michael