Cars: Other Racing
For automotive racing topics not already covered.
Pretty in Pink - Porsche 917/20 (MFH)
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 04:38 AM UTC
Michael,
That front resin casting really looks outstanding. Painting the molded on tube frame is going to take some very precise masking for sure. Any bleed through will just kill the deception of separate tubing.
joel
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Auto Modeler: 495 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 03:29 PM UTC
after a reset to fix a small issue, this build looks amazing!

Great work Michael! Are you going to leave the rocker covers unpainted?

PS. Can't imagine an LeMans driver changing his/her own tire!
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 09:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a neat looking piece of resin casting! Good work on the tube frame continues, and I'm very pleased to see that the language didn't cause the parts to curl up. I'm fairly certain that it's come close a few times at my bench

Cheers, D

This kit has allowed me to widely expand the range of language I use to express myself. Very therapeutic when under stress
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 10:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael,
That front resin casting really looks outstanding. Painting the molded on tube frame is going to take some very precise masking for sure. Any bleed through will just kill the deception of separate tubing.
joel

The resin casting on this kit is superb. The body shells are amazing. A number of the clear parts are translucent resin and of course the yellowed resin for the engine parts and wheel arches is very good.
The painting is definitely going to be a challenge. There is no colour suggestion from MFH for the interior shell. The one colour photo I have of the cockpit is too dark too really tell. Open to any suggestions. I know the insides of the doors are raw fibreglass but I don't know for the rest.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 10:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Russ. The rocker covers are painted. I must have achieved the metal look I was after
As for tyre changes, I just don't know. Rally drivers changes tyres so maybe back then it was an option as opposed to driving for several kilometers and maybe damaging the car. A few minutes lost in a 24 hour can easily be recovered.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 10:10 PM UTC
Still working on fit for the cockpit so I thought I would post a couple of more pictures showing some of the detail.
The pedal box includes a footrest. Very thought of Porsche for that long Mulsanne straight. The pedal faces all had casting lines hence the polished finish as I filed/sanded them smooth.

The fluid reservoirs are also nicely done in translucent resin.

And the steering wheel has a double row of stitching which is very good.

I have learnt from the rear chassis you can never do enough dry fitting on this. While what is here is just one step, you need to move forward a few steps for the rest of the cockpit to make sure this is all going to work together.

cheers
Michael
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Auto Modeler: 134 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 11:50 PM UTC
Looks really good Michael.
What sort of glue do You use to fit the white metal and resin?

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 01:52 AM UTC
Russell,
The drivers don't change their own tires or did any repairs. The spare tire as with the 2nd seat is just a carry over from the days when these cars were based on road going cars. The tires and seats got smaller and smaller until even the FIA dropped the requirements.

But for argument sake, lets say you get a flat a mile or so from your pit and pull over to the side of the road. You have a spare tire, wrench, and jack. Only a true nut case would get out and try to change it with cars speeding by at more then a 100 mph. Even in the pits, crew members from time to time get hit by cars.

Joel
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Russ. The rocker covers are painted. I must have achieved the metal look I was after

hm. maybe I used the incorrect term, Micheal... There's 3 items sitting on top of the engine, 2 into which spark plug leads go and in the centre, what looks like an air filter housing... They seem unpainted to my MkI eyeball???

Quoted Text

As for tyre changes, I just don't know. Rally drivers changes tyres so maybe back then it was an option as opposed to driving for several kilometers and maybe damaging the car. A few minutes lost in a 24 hour can easily be recovered.

cheers
Michael

Quoted Text

Russell,
The drivers don't change their own tires or did any repairs. The spare tire as with the 2nd seat is just a carry over from the days when these cars were based on road going cars. The tires and seats got smaller and smaller until even the FIA dropped the requirements.

But for argument sake, lets say you get a flat a mile or so from your pit and pull over to the side of the road. You have a spare tire, wrench, and jack. Only a true nut case would get out and try to change it with cars speeding by at more then a 100 mph. Even in the pits, crew members from time to time get hit by cars.

Joel

Ahh... the craziness of endurance racing
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 12:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks really good Michael.
What sort of glue do You use to fit the white metal and resin?

Hi Robert, I just use CA. It does hold but also easy to undo if you need to make some adjustments.

cheers
Michael
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 02:09 PM UTC
Hi Michael.
I used work the same way, but will use a 2 component resin for my Mp 4/4 to glue the bodywork. Don't know yet if I will continue to use the CA for the metal parts. Had some problems with that.
Keep up with the nice work.

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 02:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hm. maybe I used the incorrect term, Micheal... There's 3 items sitting on top of the engine, 2 into which spark plug leads go and in the centre, what looks like an air filter housing... They seem unpainted to my MkI eyeball???

Hi Russ. You might be looking at the plate that holds the air intake trumpets in place. The White tubes are fuel lines leading to the intakes. The ignition leads are the red leads underneath all of that assembly. In the middle the large circular item I think is a cooling fan shroud.

Then again, I could be completely wrong. Porsche is not my speciality

Cheers, D
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 04:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Russ,
don't want to leave a mystery unsolved. In this photo I have highlighted what I think you maybe asking

They are indeed the air intakes for the injectors. In these Porsches they were a sort of yellowed resin. I think MFH have them right so I think they didn't need painting.

cheers
Michael
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 12:58 AM UTC
Michael,
Not that my 2 cents means much, but you're right. The only differences you'll see is how they darkened from oil, grease, dirt, and all sorts of junk kicked up by the tires from the track.

Joel
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 11:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Russ,
don't want to leave a mystery unsolved. In this photo I have highlighted what I think you maybe asking

They are indeed the air intakes for the injectors. In these Porsches they were a sort of yellowed resin. I think MFH have them right so I think they didn't need painting.

cheers
Michael

Hi Michael yep, those are the ones

Fascinating to understand how Porsche built these cars...

To my thinking, maybe it was some sort of thermoset resin from a low volume mold?

Quoted Text

Michael,
Not that my 2 cents means much, but you're right. The only differences you'll see is how they darkened from oil, grease, dirt, and all sorts of junk kicked up by the tires from the track.

Joel

I agree, Joel, maybe some sort of light wash to bring out the detail???
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 - 12:42 AM UTC
Michael,
Personally, unless you're building a raced race car, I'd leave them as looking new. Basic reason is that I have virtually no idea of how the resin parts will react to the wash. Might stain unevenly, or blotchy, and worse that as it sinks in, you can't remove the excess.

joel
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 - 01:39 AM UTC
Hi Michael. Don't apply a wash to weather the parts. They were cleaned 'Spic and Span' after each run / race. Color is ok.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 - 09:50 AM UTC
Robert,
I just assumed that they didn't do a complete cleaning till after the days testing. I'm sure that they did get somewhat dirty during a race, especially one of the many enduro races that the car raced in.

Joel
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 - 11:01 AM UTC
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I have only one guiding photo for Rosa Berta, that I posted a while ago.

This was taken after practice at Le Mans in the Porsche garage, for the International Martini Race team, in a little village called Teloche. Anyway, this gives the best idea of how "weathered" the car got. You can see after a just a short time it has collected quite a bit of dirt, oil etc.
My view would be that cleaning the areas under the body shell would not have been a priority though I am sure they did the outsides. They have three 917s in hand here to get race ready which would have kept them pretty busy.
My biggest challenge at the moment is how to represent the unfinished fibreglass look which you can see on the doors and cockpit floor. I have no pictures on the engine cover or front body from the inside but will assume that Porsche didn't bother to paint any of it. Also to be recalled that this body was built by the French design team from CERA rather than the Porsche factory so maybe they decided to leave it unpainted.
Any thoughts on raw fibreglass finishes?

cheers
Michael
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 - 11:17 AM UTC
Look at this site Michael.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/vasekauction/engine_info.htm
It was somewhere in my busy head, it popped just now. Engines you gotta love!
Think it is a very good color reference for your engine. These are auction pictures, so they capture every detail.
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 - 06:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Think it is a very good color reference for your engine. These are auction pictures, so they capture every detail.

Thanks Robert. I'll save the reference for my next 917 build.

I wonder what you do with a 917 engine without a gearbox or even a car to go with it. The engines are not the sort you can slip into something else given the width.

cheers
Michael
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 - 09:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Robert. I'll save the reference for my next 917 build.

I wonder what you do with a 917 engine without a gearbox or even a car to go with it. The engines are not the sort you can slip into something else given the width.

cheers
Michael

It's very simple. There are people that can buy those cars on auctions (more than a lifetime in money savings for me) and blow up engines. Realize that everybody with money can buy such a car, with zero racing knowledge, not even speaking about engine / motor management.
When you know buying a big fat Porsche or let say Ferarri is affordable for you, the dealer asks(at least Ferarri dealers do), if you have any experience driving such a stallion. They check that at Ferarri. You come on a list as novice. Once you do the course, meaning a driving test, and you succeeded to do that properly, you come on the purchase order list and have to wait when your ride comes off the production line.
Just watch the papers and see how many racing cars are ruined by unexperienced, mostly young dudes, with the mama's & papa's money financing his ride.

That's why there smart people who restore those valuable engines, most of the time they survive a crash. Gear box is always a question.

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 - 10:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just watch the papers and see how many racing cars are ruined by unexperienced, mostly young dudes, with the mama's & papa's money financing his ride.

Indeed, we had one here in Melbourne just a couple of weeks back, a 27 year old with an Aston Martin Vanquish in a city street with a 50 kph speed limit!

Cheers, D
kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,179 posts
Auto Modeler: 647 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 - 10:10 PM UTC
Great progress it looks totally awesome so far
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2020 - 09:02 PM UTC
Some colour in the cabin.
After some research, the floor is sort of brown. I guess the glue they used on the fibreglass. The internal framing is painted light grey, as it all the internal fibreglass shell, except the floor.
The steering wheel is offset from the driver's seat, that I haven't been able to check.
Still missing are the clutch/brake fluid containers, the oil radiator at the front, the cooling hoses for the driver and a whole heap of plumbing and wiring.

cheers
Michael

cheers
Michael