The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Feisty Ferrari's Campaign Proposal
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 08:16 PM UTC
Hi Andrew,

Quoted Text

Andrew

What paint did you use on the engine here, it's awesome tone and sheen !!

Cheers, D
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
Auto Modeler: 34 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 09:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Andrew,

What paint did you use on the engine here, it's awesome tone and sheen !!

Cheers, D

Damian: the engine was painted in a mix of Tamiya Metallic Grey and Titanium Gold, airbrushed. Then a wash of thinned Tamiya Smoke. And finally some drybrushed Citadel Mithril Silver over the raised areas.

Andrew
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Auto Modeler: 294 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 08:55 AM UTC
Stunning work Andrew, looking forward to the glamour shots Recently ordered some of the TS paints and will be giving your method a try, thank you very much for the SBS on that.
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 12:41 PM UTC
It's done. Thanks for running this campaign and giving me the excuse i needed to finally get one of these old Tamiya 1/12 F1 kits out of the stash...i've got every one they ever released except the Texaco Mclaren M24.

I didn't sand the tire treads to remove the mold line because these large vinyl tires are quite thin and sanding them has been known to cause them to split apart along the join line later. The solid tires in the smaller scales are not really a problem. Anyway the real tires had mold lines when brand new...just not so obvious!

Paints used: TS8 Italian Red, TS26 Pure White for the body parts. AS 20 Insignia White for the exhausts (they were wrapped in Aspestos still in those days), TS 29 Semi Gloss Black, and various shades of Tamiya and Citadel metallic acrylics, plus some Alclad as well.

The car represents the 312B driven by Swiss driver Clay Regazzoni for his maiden victory at the 1970 Italian GP at Monza Italy in his first F1 season. Reggazoni finished 3rd in the championship despite only competing in about half the seasons races.
It was the turning point of a number of years of poor performances from Ferrari in F1. The 312B was the first car to use the new Boxer 12, the old V12 having been way too heavy and unreliable. Despite being defeated in the 1970 championship by Jochen Rindt and in 1971 by Jackie Stewert's Tyrell, at least Ferrari were winning some races again after a very bad series of years. Later in the 70's when the boxer engine was put in the new "T" series of cars, Ferrari finally regained the F1 World Championship with Niki Lauda.

And i don't even like Ferrari much to be honest!

I'll post some pics in the campaign gallery just as soon as they are opened for uploads again.

Andrew
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 01:47 PM UTC
Andrew, that's got to be one of the nicest paint and decal jobs I've seen in a long time. It's flawless. Really nice job all the way round.

Hermon
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 01:50 PM UTC
Andrew, I'm with Hermon on this one, its a stunner mate, well done !!

Cheers, D
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 03:58 PM UTC
Thanks guys, glad you like it.

Andrew
Loobes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 409 posts
Auto Modeler: 87 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 09:31 PM UTC
Awesome, stunning, there are no words
Mine is finsihed but doesn't look too good - poor fit of body to chassis whihc wasn't presnet before and one headlight cover is misty.
Cheers

Loobes
Loobes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 05:10 AM UTC
Finished

This will be my warm up one, got an Enzo in the stash wich will serve as the real deal this will be in black, either Humbrol Mettalic Black Spray can or Alclad 2 Under coat
Cheers

Loobes
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 02:39 PM UTC
-Lewis, sweet job on her! {2nd entry car question}- "alcladII undercoat"?...you gonna spray tamiya clear smoke over that?

-Andrew...ditto, I love the old open wheeled cigar bodied racers of long ago....and thanks for the "orange" heads up - yours turned out great!

-Oh hermon...by chance, is that the "fujimi 1/16 scale '80 ferrari berlinetta boxer BB 512 kit" you have there?!...inquiring minds wish to know!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 03:04 PM UTC
Here's mine so far this time-
Chassis is 95% done-

I alcladII chromed the inside of the body, as well as the mirrors, head and tail lights too...neat thing, alcladII chrome goes over red just fine. The inside body paint was alittle rough and unbuffed, so it gave me the aluminum look I wanted. The mirrors, head and tail light dishes are smooth so that will be my reflectors for under the clear lenses. I'll paint flat black around the headlight areas for undernieht the clear covers.

She's gettin there!
I did land a freshly won today ebay auction that has a painted body and nothing else done...I'll strip the body once I get it and redo it in my own color. Hey Hermon, what kit was yours again?
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 04:51 PM UTC
Bob, my kit is the 1/24 scale Fujimi Ferrari Koennig Special. Just a beefed up Testerosa basically.

Lewis, right now I'm using Tamiya gloss yellow from the bottle. For the body I'm going to get some yellow TS paint and try Andrews technique of using it through my airbrush.

Hermon
Loobes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 07:53 PM UTC
Bob - What I mean is the Alclad Under coat on its own with some coats of klear, It has the high gloss shine whihc I cna't seem to get with acrylic spray cans
Cheers

Loobes
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 11:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bob, my kit is the 1/24 scale Fujimi Ferrari Koennig Special. Just a beefed up Testerosa basically.

Lewis, right now I'm using Tamiya gloss yellow from the bottle. For the body I'm going to get some yellow TS paint and try Andrews technique of using it through my airbrush.

Hermon

Bummer...I just won the above mentioned 1/16 kit{which looks like yours} yeasterday. Sole bidder and $9.95 I couldn't pass it up.
Oh, general rule of thumb for ABing is 1 part thinner to 2 parts paint...most tamiya paints will shoot straight given a big enough needle on the AB, but thin alittle to be sure. Modelmaster paints do require thinner.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 07:34 AM UTC
Well, this being my first Fujimi kit I can't reallly complain. It isn't exactly like Tamiya kits where you throw some glue and paint into the box, shake it all up and out pops a finished model......but it isn't bad either. A very minor amount of filler was needed around the wing and body joint. Other than that I just had to clean up some flash marks and smooth out the edges. Here's where I'm at now.

Still haven't picked up any paint yet for the body. Gotta get the shell clean, clean, clean first anyway.

Hermon
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 10:42 AM UTC
Lookin good Hermon, nice clean details on the donk !!

Cheers, D
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 01:19 PM UTC
Thanks D.

Now she's wearing her bright silver primer coat. Just a trick I learned building model airplanes. When you're ready to pain, lay down a coat of silver first. The silver will highlight any, and I mean ANY imperfections. Then you can fix the little bumps and scratches before the real paint goes on.

Hermon
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 01:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bob - What I mean is the Alclad Under coat on its own with some coats of klear, It has the high gloss shine whihc I cna't seem to get with acrylic spray cans
Cheers

Loobes

Loobes, Alclad is great stuff. I use it more than another paint on the market when I build aircraft. Straight from the bottle it outshines anything else, no need to thin it, and it's dry enough to handle in minutes. Alclad "chrome" does in fact shine like chrome. The only thing is, you have to be sure and seal it with something when the project is done. This can be done with Model Masters Metalizer Sealer or equivelent, or just plain ol' Future like I do.

Anyhoo............
Look! My Ferrari is Yellow!!!!
I was going to try Andrews technique of useing TS paint through my airbrush, but my LHS was out of yellow..........so I used good old Tamiya gloss yellow from the bottle. I'll buff it up really nice tonight and then start laying down a few coats of Future on her later on. All that's left now is masking and painting all the little black areas here and there.

Yeah, sorry about the bad lighting. I took this pic at my workbench. I'll take her outside when she's done for a better photo shoot.

Hermon
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 01:33 PM UTC
Hermon, that yellow looks really good, and the trick with the silver pre-coat is a great idea. I'm thinking about using that and the "salt paint-chipping" trick on an upcoming P-61 build for the Pin-ups Campaign.

Cheers, D
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 11:43 PM UTC
Hermon, that alcadII chrome is good and bad...it really shows off anything in the way of imperfections, but, if you prep/tweek the base coat you can get around that. Remember you can buff between coats..give it nearly a week of hang time to full cure up though. I've painted over the usual black, both tamiya's rattle can black and alclad's base black, and both yield the same results. I've painted over a red base too, but black, or any really dark colors, gives a deeper look to the chrome. Spray on a semi gloss finish and you get an brushed aluminum look too....so if you doing an aircraft and want different panels simply tweek the panels between gloss and semi before you spray the chrome on...subtle but noticable.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 04:34 AM UTC
OK, here is my finished kit. 1/24 scale Fujimi Ferrari Koenig Special. My first Fujimi kit, and man was it sweet. I won't hesitate to build another Fujimi in the future.

Picture quality isn't the greatest. The pic's were taken on my front porch and it's about 30' F outside right now so I was a bit shakey.

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 02:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Picture quality isn't the greatest. The pic's were taken on my front porch and it's about 30' F outside right now so I was a bit shakey.

Hermon

Very nice! But 2 things;
- it's only 14 here during the day, so I hope you ain't expecting sympathy
- are those 4 small pieces supposed to be in the clear engine cover's open slats?
{now - see if you fare so well on a train subject- hahaha}-
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 03:04 PM UTC
- are those 4 small pieces supposed to be in the clear engine cover's open slats?

OK, busted.
You're right about the 4 small divider pieces Bob. But they aren't like the little thin pieces at the edge of a windshield. These are really thick, I was afraid I'd really screw up the glass engine cover if I tried to cut them out. I actually buggered up one of the headlight covers doing the exact same thing. Ahhh.......good enough for government work.

Hermon
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 03:13 PM UTC
Hiya Hermon, it's 32 degrees here today as well (Celcius my friend )

Really nice job on the Yellow Peril, looks great.

Cheers, D
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 04:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OK, busted.
You're right about the 4 small divider pieces Bob. But they aren't like the little thin pieces at the edge of a windshield. These are really thick, I was afraid I'd really screw up the glass engine cover if I tried to cut them out. I actually buggered up one of the headlight covers doing the exact same thing. Ahhh.......good enough for government work.

Hermon

Sorry, just askin...I was half expecting to hear they were some sort of mounting points after I spoke up. See if you can find some lil razor saw blades that fit in the usual exacto blade handle...great for cutting things like that off without harming the actual piece. I had afew given to me and have one left...time to find more soon!!!{works great on those tiny lil parts with a huge lug attached to them from the sprue}