The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Feisty Ferrari's Campaign Proposal
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 02:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hermon, thanks! I'm just learning from the pro's (you guys)

Ian, thanks for the tip, I'll try it on one of the pieces that won't be seen. This is more in the glass than on it, so if that doesn't work I'll do some searching on the sites.

I'd bet those are hairline cracks and no future is gonna fix that...contact the manufacturer and explain the problem{pic maybe too} to see if they can replace the clear tree.
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Auto Modeler: 294 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 03:06 PM UTC
That's what I'm thinking now too, Bob. At first I thought maybe it was the plastic going into the mold from 2 sides and the line was from where the plastic met, but they look too straight for that. The kit was manufactured in 1988 and is OOP, so I'll just live with it. Thanks!
BaconPaws
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 35 posts
Auto Modeler: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 05:25 AM UTC
Some more progress shots from this weekend,

Engine bay done:

Brake disks:
Loobes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 409 posts
Auto Modeler: 87 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 07:58 AM UTC
Very nice James, coming along nicely.
Ian you've done a great job on that engine - must have taken some brush work to get into those crevases
I may be starting my next one soon
Cheers

Loobes
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 02:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's what I'm thinking now too, Bob. At first I thought maybe it was the plastic going into the mold from 2 sides and the line was from where the plastic met, but they look too straight for that. The kit was manufactured in 1988 and is OOP, so I'll just live with it. Thanks!

You might be surprised if it's been rereleased lately...the other option is break out the sanding sticks and work it out. I suggest starting with 600, then 800, then 1000...you get the idea. Once you get them semi transparent hit them with future and see if they're gone or not. If "not", it'll be something to live with but you'll know you tried at that point.
BaconPaws
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 10:06 AM UTC
Finished the Enzo dash - had a major problem when I think I applied too much sol to the dial decals and they curled up and dried before I noticed. Decided to replace with some printed from photoshop and I hope no-one will notice once its inside the tub!

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 02:36 AM UTC
Uhg...having a bad! Somehow I managed to aquire two lil spots on the 330's windshield so I wet sanded with 1000 and then started to polish it with #1 novus to get it clear again..not close enough...so I pulled out the same polish I used on the old towncars headlights to make them clear again and nearly got it till I leaned in too heavy and put a small crack and some haze in the windshield....so, it's now clear again - sorta, I still have the same two tiny spots that I started out with{lovely} and have the new crack and haze.
My choices are 3 fold
-1 cuss alot{done!}
-2 dip the windshield in future and hope{but know better} that it clears up
-3 replace the windshield with another stock piece or clear sheet.
I tried to look up fujimi's website from the instructions and that's not going so well so it looks a though I'll need to make a new one out of sheet stock clear and hope she looks good.
BaconPaws
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 09:29 AM UTC
Finished the Enzo !

This Fujimi kit went together really well. I did make a few mistakes and the final finish is not as good as I hoped, but I really enjoyed building the Enzo, and will probably build another !
Loobes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 07:33 AM UTC
Very nice car there Ian, a beautiful finish you got there. Just one point though, the front indicator light should be painted orange - clear orange. Also the front lights would look better if you had painted them silver. Just my personal opinion.
Great model
Cheers

Loobes
BaconPaws
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 07:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice car there Ian, a beautiful finish you got there. Just one point though, the front indicator light should be painted orange - clear orange. Also the front lights would look better if you had painted them silver. Just my personal opinion.
Great model
Cheers

Loobes

Thanks Lewis - I did say I made a few mistakes, and yes as you say there are some small indicator lights that Fujimi supplied in clear, not orange. I think the light wells are made of carbon fibre though, so should be dark gray.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 04:02 PM UTC
Ok, so while I'm cutting out a new windshield for the 330p4, I've been tinkering with this one.
This is the Fujimi 1/16 scale Ferrari BB512..it's a motorized kit, shows how to light it as well and actualy has a decent engine in it despite the gearbox....not too bad. Fit isn't the greatest, but still.
Here's where she's at so far-

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 10:35 AM UTC
Got a rolling chassis now, wired in the plug wires and started the interior. Still need to scratch the fuel rails and finish the scratched gas tank{s} and fuel filler tube{white stuff}. I need to find some seatbelt material{ribbon} and make some seatbelts I think...

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 12:00 PM UTC
Bob, try some foil for the seatbelts. Chewing gum wrappers work well also and you can fold them into the right thickness for the scale.

Hermon
Loobes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 01:10 AM UTC
Very nice build there Bob, shame about the other ferrari
Cheers

Loobes
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 02:27 PM UTC
Thanks...I gotta button up one of them if nothing else!
I've tried one new windshield cut out so far for the 330...the next should be better.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 03:55 AM UTC
Hey, I got the lil one! Her she is all done up with the replacement sheet stock windshield. Here's my Ferrari 330 P4-

I like the new camera! Now that I've buttoned up this one I can concentrate on the big one getting done.
Loobes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 07:48 AM UTC
Excellent finish on that car Bob. One thing, have you got your camera set on Fluoresent or Tugsten?
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 11:32 AM UTC
Flouresent #3...I'm given 3 flourescent settings{with no explination to the differences} and 1 incandescent. FL3 gave the best red of the car....still need to play with the new camera I guess......
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 08:20 AM UTC
Woohoo, a milestone for me on two counts! First, my first auto build is complete. Second, this is probably the first build I've actually finished in a year or so. Group build complete

(just noticed....all the shots are of the passenger side...and yes, the drivers side is complete! )

Thanks Lewis for the group build, and thanks everyone for all the help and great tips!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 03:00 PM UTC
James, she looks great! Did you ever resolve that glass mark issue, or just live with it?{I didn't see it in the pics}
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 04:01 PM UTC
Thanks Bob I followed your advice on the glass and polished it out and touched up with Future, I really need to look hard to find them now. Blended it in very well!
Loobes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 09:38 PM UTC
Very nice James - love the finish.
Just 1 Month Left to finish - remember to post in the gallery!
Cheers

Loobes
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 02:38 AM UTC
Thanks Lewis!

Only a couple of weeks left (no pressure )...Let's see some more finished Ferrari's!
dutchboyinohio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 03:30 PM UTC
Hi all,
I've been following this thread for a while now, and there are some beautiful builds here. I've been a Ferrari collector for 20+ years, mostly diecast, but I've got a sizable stack of kits as well. I figured I'd try to get a few of them built in the time that's remaining. I usually build armor, so I'm starting with a couple of easy kits. See the pictures below:

The kits

I hope to have some pictures of the finished cars soon. There's not a whole lot to these kits, but I want to do some additional detail painting on the interior.

Thanks for looking!

Mark
dutchboyinohio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 06:32 PM UTC
Finished the two cars, not sure if I'll get anything else done because I'm traveling for the next five days. Anyway, here they are: