Scale truck modeling topics.
Truck build Campaign proposal ideas-
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 12:53 PM UTC
Ok, the next truck campaign guantlet has been hurled at me{ouch..use a smaller gauntlet next time, would ya!}. I started looking at the usual truck mags and books and it hit me{kinda like the gauntlet}...why not do something different. My ideas for the masses are-
1) a "non tractor" build meaning cement truck, stakebed, flat bed straight truck, straight tanker, dump truck, wrecker...anything that don't haul a trailer on a fith wheel...tow bar is ok for a trailer after said straight truck!
2) a "trailer" build...why should trucks get all the attention?! Any box stock version or scratch or bash something different - oil field rig, old round front trailer, frameless oval body tanker, wood chip trailer, center dump trailer...you get the idea.
3) a combo build - truck and trailer....match them if you'd care to or do a lease truck and/or trailer combo.
4} just a simple tractor build.

Any scale will do, 1/48 to 1/16.
The time span would be a year since alot of us seem to take so long to finish and/or get past paint or whatever issues{yeah, that's me on both counts there...possibly other folks}.

So, toss in your thoughts here or ideas and we'll go for truck campaign build 3-
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 01:03 PM UTC
I'm new to trucks Bob. Driven almost every American brand over the last 20 years and even owned a few including GMC, Mack, Peterbuilt......but I haven't built any. Checking my stash I found a total of 1 truck.

I think the non-tractor idea is seriously cool.....but with all the scratchbuilding I'll be doing later in the year I rather stick to something more basic. My vote is for a tractor build. But I'll go along with what everyone else decides. My 2 cents.

Hermon
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 01:27 PM UTC
I like all of your ideas, but either the tractor or straight truck ideas as I have plans for both. I usually build tractors due to display space limitations, so I don't do trailers. currently a Kenworth T600 is in the works. I'm thinking a nice Mack DM600 mixer would be a nice addition to my collection, though.

Ok, Bob, I'll use a smaller guantlet next time. CLANG!!!!! What were you thinking as a start time? This Spring?

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 11:26 PM UTC
I have to research the whole "making up a campaign" thing yet....but I was shooting for mid spring to summer ish.....
matt
Staff MemberGroup Build Administrator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Auto Modeler: 160 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 12:01 AM UTC
Hmmmmmmm I might just be able to get my ALF finished for this one if it's ok?? I've ben trignt o clean the basement shop while a few home improvements are getting done as well. I think I had a wee bit of modelers burnout so all current projects were boxed up into the big clear shoeboxes and shelved...... but then again I have a couple of Pickups to do for my fictional FD as well.

Any Campaign Q's.... shoot em at me....LOL
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 10:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmmmmmm I might just be able to get my ALF finished for this one if it's ok?? I've ben trignt o clean the basement shop while a few home improvements are getting done as well. I think I had a wee bit of modelers burnout so all current projects were boxed up into the big clear shoeboxes and shelved...... but then again I have a couple of Pickups to do for my fictional FD as well.

Any Campaign Q's.... shoot em at me....LOL

Well, in exchange for said campaign questions I think we can easily let the ALF and the trucks in for finishing on the campaign...it's the least we could do for ya chief.
Jmarles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Auto Modeler: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 12:13 PM UTC
Not too familiar with the campaign rules - do you sign up and start in the spring? Are pics of the finished model ok or do you need in progress pics? I have been toying with the idea of a purpose-built film truck. Either a tractor with a removable generator and a grip or electric trailer, or what we call a honey wagon, which is a truck with washrooms, offices, etc. If you go to ITB(Intercontinental Truck Builders) website or google "film trucks" you'll see what I mean. We get a lot of older trucks in the film biz because the importation rules are more permissive. On the set of "Fringe" we have (I believe) a 1980 GMC Astro with extended customized body. It's a pretty sweet machine. ...I think those old Italeri truckers in the truck accessory kit could pass as Teamsters!
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 12:53 PM UTC
Hi guys, I've just snuck over from Aeroscale for a peek. I grew up building tractor/trailer kits with my father (who was a long-haul truckie here in Aus), and I have very fond memories of the building those kits. If this campaign goes ahead, and if you guys have no objections, I have an Italeri 1/24th Opel Blitz Fire Truck that will be done up in wartime scheme for a diorama.

What are your thoughts??

Cheers, D
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 02:57 PM UTC
Hey, another country heard from...two actually.
Julian, we're just trying to find what works best for everyone at the moment, but your idea would be fine the way she sits. I'm waiting to hear from 2-3 others who I think might join and I'm shooting for a late spring release.
Damian, wingy folks are always welcome to try something new here - we welcome the build idea and hope you'll join. A dio isn't required, per the campaign, unless you want it that way. How much decent "painting weather" do you have down there since as I recall we're opposed in seasons{summer/winter}.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 03:54 PM UTC
Hi Bob,

Quoted Text

Julian, we're just trying to find what works best for everyone at the moment, but your idea would be fine the way she sits. I'm waiting to hear from 2-3 others who I think might join and I'm shooting for a late spring release.
Damian, wingy folks are always welcome to try something new here - we welcome the build idea and hope you'll join. A dio isn't required, per the campaign, unless you want it that way. How much decent "painting weather" do you have down there since as I recall we're opposed in seasons{summer/winter}.

It's high summer here and we average mid to high 30's (celcius) but regularly get mid-40's. Plenty of good painting weather. Our winters are quite mild by your standards, rarely gets below 10 celcius. The dio is happening regardless, here is the link to the build log on P-47 Heaven SIG...

1/24 VFS P-47 Dio

All that I have done on the Fire Truck so far is cut some parts off the sprue and test fit, hope that's ok ?? It has been shelved for a while so that I can deal with the 4 Air Campaigns I'm enlisted in (2 of which I'm Campaign Leader !!).

Cheers, D
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 11:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Bob,

Quoted Text

It's high summer here and we average mid to high 30's (celcius) but regularly get mid-40's. Plenty of good painting weather. Our winters are quite mild by your standards, rarely gets below 10 celcius. The dio is happening regardless, here is the link to the build log on P-47 Heaven SIG...

1/24 VFS P-47 Dio

All that I have done on the Fire Truck so far is cut some parts off the sprue and test fit, hope that's ok ?? It has been shelved for a while so that I can deal with the 4 Air Campaigns I'm enlisted in (2 of which I'm Campaign Leader !!).

Cheers, D

Parts off the sprue is fine...start figuring on how you'll do the dio and in another week or so I'll set the rules in motion...still waiting for afew others to possibly chime in-
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 02:02 PM UTC
Bob,

Quoted Text

The dio is happening regardless, here is the link to the build log on P-47 Heaven SIG...

Cheers, D

I just re-read my own post and realised how abrupt it sounds. I'm really sorry about that !!

My intention is not to enter the dio for this campaign, just the truck itself. The dio will most likely take me another year to complete with all of the mods I have planned.

Cheers, D
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 03:00 PM UTC
Yo Bob!
Are we pretty much going with just a tractor?

I've been bidding on several on ebay.......but alas, just when I think I've scored a kit for $15.00 someone always throws in $75.00 in the last few minutes. It's a plot I tell ya! Everyone picks on the fat kid.

Hermon
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 03:08 PM UTC
How close is your nearest LHS? There are a lot of trucks that have been reissued recently. Also, you might want to check with Daniel at Model Express, or Chris at Sourkrauts Model Trucks.

Jim
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 03:54 PM UTC
Jim, my one and only LHS is only 10 miles away. They have a decent selection of airplanes and cars but no trucks. I've been looking at SourKraut's for a while and I'll probably end up getting a few add-ons from there. Thanks for the Model Express link. They have a great selection but the prices are out of my range right now. That's why I've been doing the Ebay thing. Every now and then a nice truck kit will sneak in under the radar for $15.00 to $20.00.

RIght now I have about 30 cars and 40 airplanes in the stash and only 1 truck. An International 4300 Eagle.

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 01:59 AM UTC
Tractor only is fine..I was shooting out some different ideas from the usual ones, but we can do the ol tried and true.
Truth be told, I expected a little better gathering for this...as it sits the build wouldn't be more than a group build since I don't see enough for an official campaign build. Honestly I don't need a ribbon{nor really check mine ever} to do a build of any kind. Other sites don't offer such trinkets to lure builders in...so I've never personnaly required one here - but that's me.

Here's an odd question...what motivates you to a campaign...the given ribbon at the end or the event itself{model}?

Hermon, check your PMs-
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here's an odd question...what motivates you to a campaign...the given ribbon at the end or the event itself{model}?

I'm with you Bob, it's all about the journey, not the reward at the end.

Cheers, D
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 11:52 PM UTC
Well, so far we have the below folks interested in the build;
- Hermon
-Jim
-Matt
-Julian
-Damian
-Me
6 people all told so far...anyone else?!...the more the merrier!
matt
Staff MemberGroup Build Administrator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Auto Modeler: 160 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 12:04 AM UTC
Well, While cleaning & rearranging the basement I discovered a pair of Galaxie Ltd trailers I'd forgotten about... along with a diecast fishing boat I'd torn apart and gutted the interioe on to convert for FD use......... Hmmmmmmmmm
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 12:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, While cleaning & rearranging the basement I discovered a pair of Galaxie Ltd trailers I'd forgotten about... along with a diecast fishing boat I'd torn apart and gutted the interioe on to convert for FD use......... Hmmmmmmmmm

Ah, "surprise cleaning"...done that before...hid something so darn well from the wife I forgot about it!
Plasticat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 448 posts
Auto Modeler: 24 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 01:09 AM UTC
I'd be interested in throwing my hat in the ring for a campaign. I've got plenty of trucks in the stash.

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 02:59 AM UTC
Looks like theres 8 folks now Bob.
Anyway, don't complain. I'm trying to get a demolition derby up and running and only 3 people are interested in that.
Helluva demolition derby with only 3 cars.

Hermon

ps: I like ribbons They give meaning to my boring and insignificant life.
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Auto Modeler: 95 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 04:03 AM UTC
Depending on when you plan on starting this, I would be in. Currently building stuff for our local show here in May, so I know I wouldn't be able to start something before then.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 07:21 AM UTC
Yes, I'm in. What exactly are we building?

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 01:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, I'm in. What exactly are we building?

Jim

Heck, with only needing 2 more for a campaign{10 people- right Matt?}, I'd say any of the proposed that fits your wants or needs - tractor, trailer, tractor & trailer or straight truck.
..and I can wait for May.......
 _GOTOTOP